Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? How to switch from SVR4/BSD internals to Linux internals? Post 302814011 by figaro on Tuesday 28th of May 2013 02:34:15 PM
Old 05-28-2013
Why is your employer not in favor of putting you on a relevant Linux course? Can you make the case to him/her that you would like to develop yourself into other areas, while still staying on for the legacy tasks, thereby making you more valuable for the firm?
Is there any point in asking to make a lateral move within the firm?
The other option I can think of is participating in an open source project with enough critical mass to also get noticed by future employers. It would also be a way to get in touch with like-minded developers who might give you advice on where else to look.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. New to Unix. Which books should I read?

UniX internals Material

Hi! I have 1.5 years experience in unix environment and shell scripting. Now, I started learning UNIX internals and network programming. Can you please help in finding the same material on the net Thanks Srinivas. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivaskathika
7 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

on unix internals

will anybody tell me how can i access all the fields of process table .if there is any structure and a system call please specify . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vish_shan
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP-UX Internals Book

. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Driver
2 Replies

4. Programming

UNIX Internals, Help required...

I know UNIX user level commands, shell scripts. But i have no idea about kernel level programming and networking. I know the terms semaphore,IPC,socket programming. But i don't know in details what are these. I need to know the following. 1. Unix kernel level programming. 2. Unix Internals. 3.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digdarshan
4 Replies

5. Linux

Kernel internals for ARM

Hi, Does anybody have a good pointer on Linux kernel internals for ARM architecture? I can locate plenty for x86 but since ARM is RISC I think there would be subtle changes. So if somebody has a knowledge of good document on Linux Kernel internals for ARM or even a comparative study of kernel on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
0 Replies

6. Programming

Need more info on internals of c compilers

Hello Gurus, i am ok with the concepts of c language but i would like to know more about the internals of c with respect to the compilers what happens when we say gcc filename.c the a.out will get created(what actaully compiler does to the code inaddition to generating object code) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
5 Replies

7. Programming

Internals of the printf function?

hey all, im a new programmer. i was wondering how you would go about writing the printf function yourself? it is my understanding that when you call printf you are calling an already written function and just providing an argument? if this is the case, is it possible to write that function... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Christian.B
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Internals Interview Questions

Can anyone list the interview questions on Linux Internals? Any link for the same will also be helpful. In a job requirement of say C, linux internals what is expected about linux internals? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GDB Breakpoint Internals

When we put a breakpoint using gcc then what all things happen internally and how the gdb using break is able to pause the execution of process( instead of killing it ) and later on resume the process execution? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
0 Replies
COMPAT_SVR4(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    COMPAT_SVR4(8)

NAME
compat_svr4 -- setup procedure for running SVR4/iBCS2 binaries compat_svr4_32 -- setup procedure for running 32-bit SVR4/iBCS2 binaries DESCRIPTION
NetBSD supports running SVR4/iBCS2 binaries. This code has been tested on i386 (with binaries from SCO OpenServer and XENIX), m68k (with binaries from AMIX) and sparc (with binaries from Solaris) systems. Most programs should work, but not ones that use or depend on: kernel internal data structures the /proc filesystem the ticotsord loopback RPC mechanism (NIS uses this) sound and video interfaces threads (ttsession uses threads) the streams administrative driver The SVR4 compatibility feature is active for kernels compiled with the COMPAT_SVR4 option enabled. Since support for ELF executables is included only if the kernel is compiled with the EXEC_ELF32 or EXEC_ELF64 options enabled, kernels which include COMPAT_SVR4 should also typ- ically include EXEC_ELF32 (for 32-bit ELF support) and/or EXEC_ELF64 (for 64-bit ELF support). Another compatibility feature is COMPAT_SVR4_32, which allows the execution of 32-bit SVR4 binaries on a machine with a 64-bit kernel. This requires EXEC_ELF32 and COMPAT_NETBSD32 options as well as COMPAT_SVR4. It is configured the same way as COMPAT_SVR4 but uses the /emul/svr4_32 directory instead of /emul/svr4. But typically, /emul/svr4_32 can be made to point to /emul/svr4 if the operating system donating the libraries has support for both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries. Execution of 32-bit SVR4 binaries on a machine with a 32-bit kernel uses COMPAT_SVR4, not COMPAT_SVR4_32. Most SVR4 programs are dynamically linked. This means that you will also need the shared libraries that the program depends on and the run- time linker. Also, you will need to create a ``shadow root'' directory for SVR4 binaries on your NetBSD system. This directory is named /emul/svr4. Any file operations done by SVR4 programs run under NetBSD will look in this directory first. So, if a SVR4 program opens, for example, /etc/passwd, NetBSD will first try to open /emul/svr4/etc/passwd, and if that does not exist open the 'real' /etc/passwd file. It is recommended that you install SVR4 packages that include configuration files, etc under /emul/svr4, to avoid naming conflicts with possible NetBSD counterparts. Shared libraries should also be installed in the shadow tree. The simplest way to set up your system for SVR4 binaries is: 1. Make the necessary directories: (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/{dev,etc} (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/{bin,lib,ucblib} (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/openwin/{bin,lib} (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/dt/{bin,lib} 2. Copy files from an svr4 system: (me@svr4) cd /usr/lib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/lib && tar -xpf -' (me@svr4) cd /usr/ucblib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/ucblib && tar -xpf -' If you are running openwindows: (me@svr4) cd /usr/openwin/lib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/openwin/lib && tar -xpf -' (me@svr4) cd /usr/dt/lib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/dt/lib && tar -xpf -' 3. You will also probably need the timezone files from your Solaris system, otherwise emulated binaries will run on UTC time. (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/etc/default (me@svr4) cd /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo (me@solaris) tar -cf -. | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo && tar -xpf -' (me@netbsd) echo TZ=US/Pacific > /emul/svr4/etc/default/init 4. Set up the configuration files and devices: (me@netbsd) cd /usr/share/examples/emul/svr4/etc (me@netbsd) cp netconfig nsswitch.conf /emul/svr4/etc (me@netbsd) cp SVR4_MAKEDEV /emul/svr4/dev (me@netbsd) cd /emul/svr4/dev && sh SVR4_MAKEDEV all As the major number allocated for emulation of SVR4 devices may vary between NetBSD platforms, the SVR4_MAKEDEV script uses the uname(1) command to determine the architecture the devices nodes are being created for; this can be overridden by setting the MACHINE environment variable accordingly. An alternative method is to mount a whole SVR4 partition in /emul/svr4 and then override with other mounts /emul/svr4/etc and /emul/svr4/dev. BUGS
Many system calls are still not emulated. The streams emulation is incomplete (socketpair does not work yet). Most SVR4 executables can not handle directory offset cookies > 32 bits. More recent ones, compiled for large file support (Solaris 2.6 and up) can. With older programs, you will see the message ``svr4_getdents: dir offset too large for emulated program'' when this happens. Cur- rently, this can only happen on NFS mounted filesystems, mounted from servers that return offsets with information in the upper 32 bits. These errors should rarely happen, but can be avoided by mounting this filesystem with offset translation enabled. See the -X option to mount_nfs(8). The -2 option to mount_nfs(8) will also have the desired effect, but is less preferable. BSD
April 19, 1999 BSD