Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Insert a line into multiple files Post 302813941 by alister on Tuesday 28th of May 2013 11:41:09 AM
Old 05-28-2013
Contrary to what grep_me implied, you can use tee to write to more than just two files. The following example appends to 5 files and discards standard output:
Code:
echo text | tee -a file1 file2 file3 file4 file5 > /dev/null

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Eliminate first line of multiple files

hi gurus ,, I have multiple files with same file pattern..in a particular directory for ex: file20061101.trf file20061102.trf file20061103.trf Each of the file has a header as column names.. My questions is how can i eliminate the first row of each of these... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sish78
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

IBM Informix Load and Insert with multiple files

Hi , Can you guys please help as I have list of files xaa, xab, xac.........xza for eg in which to perform load the 1st (xaa) and insert into table, then only proceed for the 2nd , 3rd and so forth. In other words, before 1st one finished, 2nd one shall not load and insert to table, and so... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rauphelhunter
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert first line of a file to first column of remaining files

I want to extraxt data from a html table the html file is downloaded from UG / PG Univ - Exam.Results April/May 2008 After processing the html file using sed i got the output like this 11305106082,RANJANI R, CS1251,20,69,P CS1302,20,45,P EC1006,20,52,P EC1351,20,53,P... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_artha
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to view last line of multiple files

Dear All, can anybody help me out in generating a command that can be used to view the last line of multiples files. e.g: file 1 contains 100 records file 2 contains 200 records file 3 contails 300 records now i need a command that can be used to display the last line of each... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare three files and insert a blank line at each mismatch

i need to compare three files in unix a.txt b.txt c.txt 1 2 1 2 5 3 4 6 5 5 6 6 i need to insert a blank line in the file if i don't find a match and put the items at the same column if found a match The items in the files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk, extract last line of multiple files

Hi, I have a directory full of *.txt files. I would like to print the last line of every file to screen. I know you can use FNR for printing the first line of each file, but how do I access the last line of each file? This code doesn't work, it only prints the last line of the last file:BEGIN... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert filename into each line of multiple files

I need to insert <filename + comma> into each line of multiple files. Any idea how to script that? Regards, Manu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux.yahoo
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Filename into Multiple Files

Hi, We have a folder that has files in the following structure abc.sql def.sql efg.sql . . . xyz.sql I have to find a certain string (say "test") in each file and replace it with the name of the file. For eg. if "test" is present in abc.sql, I want to replace it with "test abc". If... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome_rajan
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a header record (tab delimited) in multiple files

Hi Forum. I'm struggling to find a solution for the following issue. I have multiple files a1.txt, a2.txt, a3.txt, etc. and I would like to insert a tab-delimited header record at the beginning of each of the files. This is my code so far but it's not working as expected. for i in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command line option '-n','-p' and multiple files: can it know a file name of a printed line?

I am looking for help in processing of those options: '-n' or '-p' I understand what they do and how to use them. But, I would like to use them with more than one file (and without any shell-loop; loading the 'perl' once.) I did try it and -n works on 2 files. Question is: - is it possible to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies
COMBINE(1)																COMBINE(1)

NAME
combine - combine sets of lines from two files using boolean operations SYNOPSIS
combine file1 and file2 combine file1 not file2 combine file1 or file2 combine file1 xor file2 _ file1 and file2 _ _ file1 not file2 _ _ file1 or file2 _ _ file1 xor file2 _ DESCRIPTION
combine combines the lines in two files. Depending on the boolean operation specified, the contents will be combined in different ways: and Outputs lines that are in file1 if they are also present in file2. not Outputs lines that are in file1 but not in file2. or Outputs lines that are in file1 or file2. xor Outputs lines that are in either file1 or file2, but not in both files. "-" can be specified for either file to read stdin for that file. The input files need not be sorted, and the lines are output in the order they occur in file1 (followed by the order they occur in file2 for the two "or" operations). Bear in mind that this means that the operations are not commutative; "a and b" will not necessarily be the same as "b and a". To obtain commutative behavior sort and uniq the result. Note that this program can be installed as "_" to allow for the syntactic sugar shown in the latter half of the synopsis (similar to the test/[ command). It is not currently installed as "_" by default, but you can alias it to that if you like. SEE ALSO
join(1) AUTHOR
Copyright 2006 by Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> Licensed under the GNU GPL. moreutils 2012-04-09 COMBINE(1)