Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Diff for multiple files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Diff for multiple files Post 302813823 by Error404 on Tuesday 28th of May 2013 07:56:19 AM
Old 05-28-2013
Diff for multiple files

Hello,

I am trying to compare the contents of 4 directories using diff, where I want files that are present in dir1 but not in dir2, dir3 or dir4 I know this command can only compare 2 files, but I was hoping to find a way to get around this.

I have this thought on my mind

Code:
diff -q dir1 dir2 | grep 'Only in /dir1' | diff -q dir3 | grep 'Only in /dir1' | diff -q dir4 | grep 'Only in /dir1' | awk '{print $4}' > in dir1 only.txt

The command in non-functional, I am just expressing the idea of performing diff many times on the resulting files, can this be done in Linux?

This might sound a little retarded, any better ideas are welcomed, my target is just to find the unique files in a certain directory.

Thanks,
Error404

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff 2 files; output diff's to 3rd file

Hello, I want to compare two files. All records in file 2 that are not in file 1 should be output to file 3. For example: file 1 123 1234 123456 file 2 123 2345 23456 file 3 should have 2345 23456 I have looked at diff, bdiff, cmp, comm, diff3 without any luck! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blt123
2 Replies

2. AIX

Locking a file when using VI to prevent multiple-edit sessions by diff users

At the office, we often have to edit one file with VI. We are 4-6 workers doing it and sometimes can be done at the same time. We have found a problem and want to prevent it with a file lock. Is it possible and how ? problem : Worker-a starts edit VI session on File-A at 1PM Worker-b... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicates from multuple files with 2 diff types of files

I need to compare 2 diff type of files and find out the duplicate after comparing each types of files: Type 1 file name is like: file1.abc (the extension abc could any 3 characters but I can narrow it down or hardcode for 10/15 combinations). The other file is file1.bcd01abc (the extension... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricky007
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff b/w 2 files

Hi Masters, I have two files named file1 and file2. Both the files contains the same contents with some difference in comments,space.But no content change. I tried to find the diff between the two files to make sure that contents are same. For that i tried diff -ibw file1 file2 But... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ecearund
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call single function multiple times diff set of parameters

Okay, not sure if it can be done, I would think it could be done and I'm just having a hard time with it. fun_close_wait(){ ipVar="${1} ${2}" portVar=`cat "${5}" | cut -d' ' -f 1` for ip in $ipVar do for port in $portVar do netstatVar=`netstat -n | grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff of files

Hi, I have 2 files.I want to check if file1 is contained in file2. A.txt: ----- AAA BBB B.txt: ------ CCC AAA BBB DDD I want to check if A.txt is contained in B.txt. Can it be done using SED ? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff bw two files

Hi All, I have two files which look as below File1 serial="1" name="abc" type="employee" field="IT" serial="2" name="cde" type="intern" field="Marketing" serial="3" name="pqr" type="contractor" field="IT" serial="4" name="xyz" type="employee" field="Sales" File2 serial="1"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using AWK: Extract data from multiple files and output to multiple new files

Hi, I'd like to process multiple files. For example: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Each file contains several lines of data. I want to extract a piece of data and output it to a new file. file1.txt ----> newfile1.txt file2.txt ----> newfile2.txt file3.txt ----> newfile3.txt Here is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with create multiple directories under diff file systems

Hi, Need help ...I want to create multiple directories in different /file systems using for loop..eg.../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/ctl. ../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/data. ../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/redo. Script :- ========= for dir in `ls -d... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux6.5
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff 3 files, but diff only their 2nd column

Guys i have 3 files, but i want to compare and diff only the 2nd column path=`/home/whois/doms` for i in `cat domain.tx` do whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Registrant ID:/,/Registrant Email:/p' > $path/$i.registrant whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Admin ID:/,/Admin Email:/p' > $path/$i.admin... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
10 Replies
mhddfs(1)						      General Commands Manual							 mhddfs(1)

NAME
mhddfs - The driver combines a several mount points into the single one. SYNOPSIS
mhddfs /dir1,/dir2[,/path/to/dir3] /path/to/mount [-o options] mhddfs /dir1 dir2,dir3 /mount/point [-o options] ... fusermount -u /path/to/mount fstab record example: mhddfs#/path/to/dir1,/path/to/dir2 /mnt/point fuse defaults 0 0 mhddfs#/dir1,/dir2,/dir3 /mnt fuse logfile=/var/log/mhddfs.log 0 0 OPTIONS
with an -o option1,option2... you can specify some additional options: logfile=/path/to/file.log specify a file that will contain debug information. loglevel=x 0 - debug messages 1 - info messages 2 - standard (default) messages mlimit=size[m|k|g] a free space size threshold If a drive has the free space less than the threshold specifed then another drive will be choosen while creat- ing a new file. If all the drives have free space less than the threshold specified then a drive containing most free space will be choosen. Default value is 4G, minimum value is 100M. This option accepts suffixes: [mM] - megabytes [gG] - gigabytes [kK] - kilobytes For an information about the additional options see output of: mhddfs -h DESCRIPTION
The file system allows to unite a several mount points (or directories) to the single one. So a one big filesystem is simulated and this makes it possible to combine a several hard drives or network file systems. This system is like unionfs but it can choose a drive with the most of free space, and move the data between drives transparently for the applications. While writing files they are written to a 1st hdd until the hdd has the free space (see mlimit option), then they are written on a 2nd hdd, then to 3rd etc. df will show a total statistics of all filesystems like there is a big one hdd. If an overflow arises while writing to the hdd1 then a file content already written will be transferred to a hdd containing enough of free space for a file. The transferring is processed on-the-fly, fully transparent for the application that is writing. So this behaviour simu- lates a big file system. WARNINGS The filesystems are combined must provide a possibility to get their parameters correctly (e.g. size of free space). Otherwise the writing failure can occur (but data consistency will be ok anyway). For example it is a bad idea to combine a several sshfs systems together. Please read FUSE documentation for a further conception. COPYRIGHT
Distributed under GPLv3 Copyright (C) 2008 Dmitry E. Oboukhov <dimka@avanto.org> February 2008 mhddfs(1)