Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Building Light weight Distro
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Building Light weight Distro Post 302813495 by Corona688 on Monday 27th of May 2013 11:54:42 AM
Old 05-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_gaurav
My question is how can we build such a light distribution when just kernel comes in 50+mb.
The kernel is not 50 megabytes, more like 5.

If the kernel is built with every possible device driver that's an awful lot of modules, but 50 megabytes still seems like an awful lot. Don't mistake the source code for the kernel itself -- you don't need the .c files to make the system boot. A light distro just gives you the binary part.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Infrastructure Monitoring

Light-weight alternative to `df` (without SNMP)

Overview: I'm looking for a way to get usage data for all mount points (UFS,VxFS & NFS) on a Solaris system. I'm starting with `df` but would like to find something that might be more light-weight. Background: Using SNMP is not an option in this case, instead I need to use basic built-in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seg
2 Replies

2. Solaris

How to simulate light weight process (LWP)?

Hello, We had a problem on a Solaris system (SunOS 5.10) that hit LWP limit and caused fork 11 error. Now we need to come up with a script to simulate and reproduce that scenario. What would be a simple and valid way to generate lots of Light Weight Processes? Thanks, Jay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seafan
1 Replies
MODSTAT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						MODSTAT(8)

NAME
modstat -- display status of loaded kernel modules SYNOPSIS
modstat [-n] [name] DESCRIPTION
The modstat utility displays the status of any kernel modules present in the kernel. The options are as follows: -n name Display the status of only the module with this name. Please note that -n is optional. In addition to listing the currently loaded modules' name, the information reported by modstat includes: CLASS Module class, such as "vfs", "driver", "exec", "misc" or "secmodel". SOURCE Where the module was loaded from. "builtin" indicates that the module was built into the running kernel. "boot" indicates that the module was loaded during system bootstrap. "filesys" indicates that the module was loaded from the file system. SIZE Size of the module in bytes. REFS Number of references held on the module. Disabled builtin modules will show a count of -1 here. REQUIRES Additional modules that must be present. EXIT STATUS
The modstat utility exits with a status of 0 on success and with a nonzero status if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
module(7), modload(8), modunload(8) HISTORY
The modstat command was designed to be similar in functionality to the corresponding command in SunOS 4.1.3. BSD
August 2, 2011 BSD