Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wtmp empty everyday
Operating Systems AIX Wtmp empty everyday Post 302813409 by -=XrAy=- on Monday 27th of May 2013 08:39:20 AM
Old 05-27-2013
Hi,

i don't know about a automatism, which clean the wtmp by default but there are some script (search in the forum or use google) which can do that.
Most of these scripts use the /usr/sbin/acct/fwtmp comman. man fwtmp

I would have a look at the crontab for such script...

Regards

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Everyday appending info about all processes which are active..

I have problem but i didnt solve it. Could you help me? :) Problem: Everyday at 12.17 we will append information to the file "log" about users who are logged and the information about all processes which are active to the user_activity file in our home directory.. I know that I must use cron... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mavikartal
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing and sending of vmstat output everyday

I need to capture the vmstat output of a server every 5 minutes, in a text filename with the name in the format vmoutput. yesterday's date.txt. I need to get the vmstat o/p for the whole day with 5 minutes interval and send it (preferably ftp) to my local desktop folder. eg: vmstat 300... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yuvanash
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make cronjob output to different files everyday

Hello, I have a cronjob that i am currently running which is as follows: php /home/****/cronjob.php --debug 2>&1 >> /home/cronjoboutput.txt That, as you may know, logs the output to a file called cronjoboutput.txt in the home directory. I want that cronjob to output to a different file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: umarsa
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a script everyday between 7 and 8 pm with the time interval of 5 minutes?

Hi, Can someone help me in running a cronjob everyday between 7 and 8 pm with the time interval of 5 minutes in between to repeat that script. The script is so small and I need that to run daily between this time. Please if possible provide me the syntax for this logic. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cya
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rotate log everyday on existing script

quick question: I have a current script that will put the output on a log file. See snapshot of the code below. I wanted this to be rotated everyday based on date. So if anyone execute the script today there will be a filecreated such as sys.log.(datetoday), if tomorrow it would be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a cron job that will execute everyday at 14:50 hrs

Hi I want to execute a cron job everyday at 14:50 hrs. I have a script like this: TMP_FILE="/tmp/tmpcron.txt" RES=0 /usr/bin/crontab -l >> $TMP_FILE ADD_JOB="50 14 * * * /opt/mypath/scriptname.sh" grep "scriptname.sh" $TMP_FILE >> /dev/null JOB_NOT_EXIST=$? if test $JOB_NOT_EXIST... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhkoar
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Account getting Locked Everyday between same Time Frame

I am facing an Issue with a particular Unix Account ( ie a particular Userid) getting LOCKED everyday between 7:30am and 8:00am. The Password associated with this particular Account has been setup such that it should never Expire at all but it does LOCK the Account after more than 3 failed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
5 Replies

8. AIX

AIX cron job is running everyday instead of on a particular day

Hello, I was trying to run a script on a dev server using cron job. It supposed to run 3rd sunday of every month. 45 4 15-21 * 0 /home/user1/myscript.sh >/dev/null 2>&1 # run this script 3rd sunday of every month When I Schedule it on AIX server, It is running every day at 4:45 AM. am I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kumar7997
3 Replies
fwtmp(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 fwtmp(1M)

NAME
fwtmp, wtmpfix - manipulate connect accounting records SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/acct/fwtmp [-ic] /usr/lib/acct/wtmpfix [file...] DESCRIPTION
fwtmp reads from the standard input and writes to the standard output, converting binary records of the type found in /var/adm/wtmpx to formatted ASCII records. The ASCII version is useful when it is necessary to edit bad records. wtmpfix examines the standard input or named files in utmpx format, corrects the time/date stamps to make the entries consistent, and writes to the standard output. A hyphen (-) can be used in place of file to indicate the standard input. If time/date corrections are not performed, acctcon(1M) will fault when it encounters certain date-change records. Each time the date is set, a pair of date change records are written to /var/adm/wtmpx. The first record is the old date denoted by the string "old time" placed in the line field and the flag OLD_TIME placed in the type field of the utmpx structure. The second record speci- fies the new date and is denoted by the string new time placed in the line field and the flag NEW_TIME placed in the type field. wtmpfix uses these records to synchronize all time stamps in the file. In addition to correcting time/date stamps, wtmpfix will check the validity of the name field to ensure that it consists solely of alphanu- meric characters or spaces. If it encounters a name that is considered invalid, it will change the login name to INVALID and write a diag- nostic to the standard error. In this way, wtmpfix reduces the chance that acctcon will fail when processing connect accounting records. OPTIONS
-ic Denotes that input is in ASCII form, and output is to be written in binary form. FILES
/var/adm/wtmpx history of user access and administration information ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWaccu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
acctcom(1), ed(1), acct(1M), acctcms(1M), acctcon(1M), acctmerg(1M), acctprc(1M), acctsh(1M), runacct(1M), acct(2), acct.h(3HEAD), utmpx(4), attributes(5) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration SunOS 5.10 22 Feb 1999 fwtmp(1M)