Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove last occurrence of character (_) and rest of the string in UNIX (sed) Post 302813339 by Nallachand on Monday 27th of May 2013 05:58:00 AM
Old 05-27-2013
Remove last occurrence of character (_) and rest of the string in UNIX (sed)

Hi

I need help on this ..!!

Input :
Code:
xx_abc_regA
xx_def_regB
xx_qwe_regC

Now i required the output as the below
Code:
abc
def
qwe

Need to remove last occurrence of character (_) and rest of the string in Unix (sed).

Thanks in Advance ..!!!

-Nallachand

Last edited by Franklin52; 05-27-2013 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED replace string by occurrence

hi all, I have a text file with following content PAGENUMBER asasasa asasasa PAGENUMBER sasasasasa PAGENUMBER using sed i want to replace PAGENUMBER by occurrence count eg 1 asasasa asasasa 2 sasasasasa 3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uttamhoode
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed to print a string until the second occurrence of a character

Hi, I am totally new to shell scripting. I have a String "c:\working\html\index.txt.12-12-2009.bkp" I want to check if the string has more than one "." character. If it does I would like to retrieve only "c:\working\html\index.txt" i.e, discard the second occurrence of "." and the rest of the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: imr
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed is doing my head in! How do you remove the first character of a string?

Hello! Please bare with me, I'm a total newbie to scripting. Here's the sudo code of what I'm trying to do: Get file name Does file exist? If true get length of file name get network id (this will be the last 3 numbers of the file name) loop x 2 If... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KatieV
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove characters from string based on occurrence of a string

Hello Folks.. I need your help .. here the example of my problem..i know its easy..i don't all the commands in unix to do this especiallly sed...here my string.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj_vw_dec2_dfgh_dwq desired output is.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj it's a simple task with tail... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor369
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove newline between two string with sed command in unix shellscript

I have a file (test.dat) which contains data like this 459|199811047|a |b |shan kar|ooty| 460|199811047|a |bv |gur u|cbe| but I need it like: 459|199811047|a |b |shankar|ooty| 460|199811047|a |b |guru|cbe| While reading the data from this file, I don't want to remove newline from the end of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcrshankar
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace x Number of String Occurrence with Sed

Ok, So I have a huge file that has over 12000 lines in it. in this file, there are 589 occurrences of the string "use five-minute-interval" spread in various areas in the file. How can i replace the the last 250 of the occurrences of "use five-minute-interval" with "use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove the first and last character of a string

How can i remove the first and last character of strings like below: "^^^613*" "admt130" "^^^613*" "123456" "adg8484" "DQitYV09dh1C" Means i wanna remove the quotes(""). Please help (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find last occurrence of a character in a string

Hello how to find last occurence of a string for example in the following I want last occurence of '-' i.e. position 12 str="aa-bbb-cccc-ddd-ee" my pupose is to get the string 'ee' Thanks and Regards Chetanz (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chetanz
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert file contents after nth occurrence of a string using sed?

Hi, I would like to know how, using sed, be able to insert contents of file2 in file1 after say the second occurrence of a given string? e.g. > cat file1 banana apple orange apple banana pear tangerine apple > cat file2 I don't like apples What would be the sed command to insert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dimocn
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)