Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Pointer arithmetic for list of strings Post 302812411 by tornow on Sunday 26th of May 2013 03:05:34 AM
Old 05-26-2013
No, any additional info is very welcome. Both, pointers and the whole subject of memory, is very hard for me, in general.

Reading the FAQ about name[3] and *name i think this: I am quite sure that i read somewhere (K&R?) that the compiler immediatly translates the one to the other ( i think indexed to pointers). All i can find in my book is this: "There is one difference between and array name and a pointer that must be kept in mind. A pointer is a variable, pa=a and pa++ are legal. But an array name is not a variable; constructions like a=pa and a++ are illegal"

I am not sure, but i think what i wrote above, that list++ gives me an lvalue error, is related? After Don's explanation: In your program, list is the address where an array of pointers to characters is stored. The statement: list++ would be an attempt to move that array to a new location in memory. Since you can't do that, the C compiler won't allow it."
i seem to be sure, but it won't hurt to ask if i am right.

side note: I am never sure about the right terminology. Please correct me if i use terms wrong.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

2. Programming

pointer arithmetic vs. strlen() & strnlen()?

I have been getting some flack recently for my use of strlen() and strnlen(). Honestly I have always just taken their functionality for granted as being the easiest way of getting the length of a string. Is it really so much better to do pointer arithmetic? What am I gaining besides more... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh-script "arithmetic syntax error" comparing strings

Hi all, Iīve already searched the forum but canīt find what i am doing wrong. I am trying to compare two variables using ksh under red hat. The error I get is: -ksh: .: MDA=`md5sum /tmp/ftp_dir_after_transfer | cut -d' ' -f1 ` MDB=`md5sum /tmp/ftp_dir_before_transfer | cut -d' ' -f1 `... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: old_mike
3 Replies

4. Programming

linked list node with pointer to struct

Suppose to have: struct Tstudent { string name, surname; int matriculation_num; }; struct Tnode { Tstudent* student; Tnodo* next; } L;I want to deference that "student" pointer. For example, I tried with: *(L->student).matriculation_numbut it not worked, as terminal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luke Bonham
4 Replies

5. Programming

Pointer Arithmetic In C

I have a fundamental question on C pointer arithmetry.. Suppose i have a c string pointer already pointing to a valid location, Can I just do a charptr = charptr +1; to get to the next location, irregardless if my program is 32 or 64 bits? or should i do it this way: charptr =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Leion
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strings to integers in an arithmetic loop

Hi all, Could someone please advise what is the correct syntax for my little script to process a table of values? The table is as follows: 0.002432 20.827656 0.006432 23.120364 0.010432 25.914184 0.014432 20.442655 0.018432 20.015243 0.022432 21.579517 0.026432 18.886874... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: euval
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete strings in file1 based on the list of strings in file2

Hello guys, should be a very easy questn for you: I need to delete strings in file1 based on the list of strings in file2. like file2: word1_word2_ word3_word5_ word3_word4_ word6_word7_ file1: word1_word2_otherwords..,word3_word5_others... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: roussine
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take a list if strings from a file and search them in a list of files and report them

I have a file 1.txt with the below contents. -----cat 1.txt----- 1234 5678 1256 1234 1247 ------------------- I have 3 more files in a folder -----ls -lrt------- A1.txt A2.txt A3.txt ------------------- The contents of those three files are similar format with different data values... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: realspirituals
8 Replies

9. Programming

unidirectional linked list pointer problem

I am trying to test some operations on a directed list. However, the declaration of a pointer is giving me trouble. I seem to have done something incorrectly because I get an error: "listtest.c:29: warning: 'p' may be used uninitialized in this function" Can anyone help? This is my code... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluetxxth
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies
FBB::mlm(3bobcat)                                             OFoldStream manipulator                                            FBB::mlm(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::mlm - Manipulator modifying left margins of OFoldStream objects SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstream> or #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
The mlm class implements a manipulator that can be inserted into OFoldStream objects to modify the stream's left margin by a requested amount. The request cannot result in a negative left margin value. If a negative left margin would be the arithmetic result of the request then left margin 0 will silently be used. Depending on the tab-setting of the OFoldStream the inserted value represents the number of blank space characters or the number of tab-characters that will be added to the left margin. The request will be processed at the next newline character or std::flush or std::endl manipulator that is inserted into the stream. If a line is still empty once an mlm object and a flush manipulator are inserted into the stream then the new left margin will be effective at the next word inserted into that line (cf., the example section below) A bad_cast exception is thrown when the manipulator is inserted into an ostream that is not using a OFoldStreambuf buffer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- CONSTRUCTOR
o mlm(int addValue): The standard copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
There are no public or protected member functions in this class. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ofoldstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStream out(cout, 0, 80); out << "hello world (left margin is 0)" << mlm(4) << " " "this uses a 4 character wide left margin " << mlm(-10) << flush << "left margin -6 changed to 0, active on this line "; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/mlm - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), manipulators(3bobcat), lm(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)