Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions 1st yr Exam revision thread - Scripts, C, Commands Post 302812251 by murphy on Saturday 25th of May 2013 12:13:23 PM
Old 05-25-2013
1st yr Exam revision thread - Scripts, C, Commands

Hello, I have an exam for 1st year Linux and Unix programming coming up in a week and I need some help going over the past exams, I want to make sure I'm getting the right answers in the past exams to ensure full marks.

The internet is a distraction so making this thread will hopefully help me focus! Also, it will be good revision for anyone else in the same boat, while hopfully helping me commit it to memory and understand it better, and the questions should be pretty easy Smilie

1. Write a bash script for the minimum program that works as follows:
Code:
$ min  2 3
The minimum of 2 and 3 is 2

Heres my answer:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

if 
$1 < $2
echo "The minimum of $1 and $2 is $1"
else
echo "The minimum of $1 and $2 is $2"
fi

Pseudocode:
If
arg1 is less than arg2
output: "the minimum of arg1 and arg2 is arg1"
else
output: "the minimum of arg1 and arg2 is arg2"

Is my algorithm correct? The program compiles, but when I run it I get syntax error. What is the correct syntax please help.

---------- Post updated at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:43 AM ----------

Figured it out Smilie

Code:
if
[[ "$1" < "$2" ]];
then
echo "The minimum of $1 and $2 is $1"
else
echo "The minimum of $1 and $2 is $2"
fi

It works and outputs correctly. Do you think this answer would get full marks in an exam?

2. What is the search path for the shell?

Last edited by murphy; 05-25-2013 at 01:45 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

deletion of thread backup scripts!!!

I have posted a thread backup scripts. Can you assist in deletion of the said thread. Thanks and Regds Kamlesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamlesh_p
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running shell scripts automatically without using Batch or at commands

I have been trying to run a unix script which contains many sql statements.I need to run this script every monday morning. I tried to run on command prompt, it works fine. But while I run it via batch or at command., it returns with library module could not be loaded (libcompat.1.o could not be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritzwan0
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing shell scripts of commands

can anyone help me in writing a shell script to visualize how simple commands work and on what logic. For Eg: ls command how it lists out all the files and directories, need to write a simple script based on the commands source code.:D (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul_11d
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

1st time with scripts

Hello everyone. I am new to writing scripts and I am trying to figure out how to get it to work on a unix system. I am currently using windows xp to write my scripts. My questions are: 1. If the scripts are writtin in Wordpad, what do I save them as before converting them on unix? 2. After... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeonsah
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripts as commands

Hello, the bulk of my work is run by scripts. An example is as such: #!/bin/bash awk '{print first line}' Input.in > Intermediate.ter awk '{print second line}' Input.in > Intermediate_2.ter command Intermediate.ter Intermediate_2.ter > Output.out It works the way I want it to, but it's not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Leo_Boon
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Calculating Total and Averages with awk Commands & Scripts

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write an awk script(company.awk) for the workers file to find the number of workers of each departman, total... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedJohn
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display Pie Chart/Bar Graph in microsoft outlook email using UNIX commands/Shell scripts

I have a shell script which executes to write html codes into a text file. My next step is to email the text file so that receiving person (people who i send email to) should be able to see pie/chart or bar graph (whatever i design in my code) in their email. Following is the example of a sample... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikerboy
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX commands and scripts

Hi guys, Hoping someone can help with the below - involves basic commands and some scripting. Thanks so much in advance for your amazing time and help. 3. The file /etc/profile contains the default initialization options for your shell. Produce a unique list of all variables with uppercase... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edujs7
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Saltstack commands inside bash scripts donā€™t work

In a Redhat Linux environment, I could run salt commands on the $ prompt but not inside my bash scripts. It will say command not found and the $PATH variable is exactly the same outside and inside the script. !#/usr/bin/bash echo “running”¯ salt "*" cmd.run ‘ls' exit Output:-... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurudewa
8 Replies
CALENDAR(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					       CALENDAR(3)

NAME
easterg, easterog, easteroj, gdate, jdate, ndaysg, ndaysj, week, weekday -- Calendar arithmetic for the Christian era LIBRARY
Calendar Arithmetic Library (libcalendar, -lcalendar) SYNOPSIS
#include <calendar.h> struct date * easterg(int year, struct date *dt); struct date * easterog(int year, struct date *dt); struct date * easteroj(int year, struct date *dt); struct date * gdate(int nd, struct date *dt); struct date * jdate(int nd, struct date *dt); int ndaysg(struct date *dt); int ndaysj(struct date *dt); int week(int nd, int *year); int weekday(int nd); DESCRIPTION
These functions provide calendar arithmetic for a large range of years, starting at March 1st, year zero (i.e., 1 B.C.) and ending way beyond year 100000. Programs should be linked with -lcalendar. The functions easterg(), easterog() and easteroj() store the date of Easter Sunday into the structure pointed at by dt and return a pointer to this structure. The function easterg() assumes Gregorian Calendar (adopted by most western churches after 1582) and the functions easterog() and easteroj() compute the date of Easter Sunday according to the orthodox rules (Western churches before 1582, Greek and Russian Orthodox Church until today). The result returned by easterog() is the date in Gregorian Calendar, whereas easteroj() returns the date in Julian Calendar. The functions gdate(), jdate(), ndaysg() and ndaysj() provide conversions between the common "year, month, day" notation of a date and the "number of days" representation, which is better suited for calculations. The days are numbered from March 1st year 1 B.C., starting with zero, so the number of a day gives the number of days since March 1st, year 1 B.C. The conversions work for nonnegative day numbers only. The gdate() and jdate() functions store the date corresponding to the day number nd into the structure pointed at by dt and return a pointer to this structure. The ndaysg() and ndaysj() functions return the day number of the date pointed at by dt. The gdate() and ndaysg() functions assume Gregorian Calendar after October 4, 1582 and Julian Calendar before, whereas jdate() and ndaysj() assume Julian Calendar throughout. The two calendars differ by the definition of the leap year. The Julian Calendar says every year that is a multiple of four is a leap year. The Gregorian Calendar excludes years that are multiples of 100 and not multiples of 400. This means the years 1700, 1800, 1900, 2100 are not leap years and the year 2000 is a leap year. The new rules were inaugurated on October 4, 1582 by deleting ten days following this date. Most catholic countries adopted the new calendar by the end of the 16th century, whereas others stayed with the Julian Calendar until the 20th century. The United Kingdom and their colonies switched on September 2, 1752. They already had to delete 11 days. The function week() returns the number of the week which contains the day numbered nd. The argument *year is set with the year that contains (the greater part of) the week. The weeks are numbered per year starting with week 1, which is the first week in a year that includes more than three days of the year. Weeks start on Monday. This function is defined for Gregorian Calendar only. The function weekday() returns the weekday (Mo = 0 .. Su = 6) of the day numbered nd. The structure date is defined in <calendar.h>. It contains these fields: int y; /* year (0000 - ????) */ int m; /* month (1 - 12) */ int d; /* day of month (1 - 31) */ The year zero is written as "1 B.C." by historians and "0" by astronomers and in this library. SEE ALSO
ncal(1), strftime(3) STANDARDS
The week number conforms to ISO 8601: 1988. HISTORY
The calendar library first appeared in FreeBSD 3.0. AUTHORS
This manual page and the library was written by Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The library was coded with great care so there are no bugs left. BSD
November 29, 1997 BSD