Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grouping array elements - possible? Post 302811619 by dnn on Thursday 23rd of May 2013 07:02:09 PM
Old 05-23-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Renaming schemes to prevent files from clashing can get pretty complicated. Some ones I actually see used are things like _cfg0000_log.conf, etc.

You could keep the absolute path, changing / into # or somesuch, so they all fit in one array.

But all of this seems pretty complicated for no benefit... I would just create a tarball. It can hold all the original file names, paths, permissions, owners, and timestamps without fuss.

Code:
tar -cpf "${dest}/${date}-backup.tar" "${files[@]}"

Yeah, but I have another script which I use for restoring the files again. If I use tarball, that complicates the behavior of the restore script. Also, I'm also backing up whole folders in some cases (new addition), but in some cases I wouldn't be restoring the whole folder, but only a few files from it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting Array Elements

Hi, I am writing a BASH shell script. I have an array that will contain IN ANY ORDER the following elements: DAY 8D MO NS. I would like to erase the element DAY, but since the order of the elements in the array are random, I will not know which element # DAY is (ie it's not as simple as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing array elements

Hi, My doubt is how to access array elements.. Situation is as below: #!/bin/ksh set -x typeset -i x=0 typeset -i y=0 typeset -i BID=0 typeset -i count=0 while ] ; do x=`expr $x + 1`; hwmgr show scsi > scsi.tmp while read line; do set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansa
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array with String Elements

How can I get my array to understand the double-quotes I'm passing into it are to separate text strings and not part of an element? here's what I'm working with... db2 -v connect to foo db2 -x "select '\"' || stats_command || '\",' from db2law1.parallel_runstats where tabname = 'BAZ'" set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djschmitt
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : SQL array bind issue while grouping

Hi, I have an array of strings. Each string has 4 comma separated values. I am binding this array to a SQL where I am required to do an INSERT after grouping. The binding is done as : $insertADWSth->bind_param_array(1,A_CONSTANT_STRING);... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sinpeak
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with replacing Array elements

Hi, I have an array containing following sample information @array = qw (chr02 chr02 chr02 chr02 chr02 chr03 chr03 chr04 chr04 chr05 chr05 chr05 chr07 chr07) I need to replace all duplicate entries by an underscore to get the following output@array = qw (chr02 _ _ _ _ chr03 _ chr04 _ chr05 _ _... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing elements from an array

Hi I have two arrays : @arcb= (450,625,720,645); @arca=(625,645); I need to remove the elements of @arca from elements of @arcb so that the content of @arcb will be (450,720). Can anyone sugget me how to perform this operation? The code I have used is this : my @arcb=... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
3 Replies

7. Programming

Array Elements Check

Hi everyone, :) I'm trying to make a simple C program that scans an array of chars to see if its elements are similar. I can't understand what's wrong. Could you help me to fix this? Here is the code. Thanks! #include<stdio.h> int main() { int arr; int i, len; int flag =... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: IgorGest
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random elements from array

Hi I wanted to print random elements from an array at bash shell I use the following code, but I always see first element getting printed #!/bin/bash c=1 expressions=(pink red white yellow purple) while ]; do echo "The value of RANDOM is $RANDOM" selectedexpression=${expressions}]};... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help reading the array and sum of the array elements

Hi All, need help with reading the array and sum of the array elements. given an array of integers of size N . You need to print the sum of the elements in the array, keeping in mind that some of those integers may be quite large. Input Format The first line of the input consists of an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nishantrefound
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get unique elements from Array

I have an array code and output is below: echo $1 while read -r fline; do echo "%%%%%%$fline%%%%%" fmy_array+=("$fline") done <<< "$1" Output: CR30903 YU0007 SRIL CR30903 Yogesh SRIL %%%%%%CR30903 YU0007 SRIL%%%%% %%%%%%CR30903 Yogesh SRIL%%%%% ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies
ARRAY_PAD(3)								 1							      ARRAY_PAD(3)

array_pad - Pad array to the specified length with a value

SYNOPSIS
array array_pad (array $array, int $size, mixed $value) DESCRIPTION
array_pad(3) returns a copy of the $array padded to size specified by $size with value $value. If $size is positive then the array is padded on the right, if it's negative then on the left. If the absolute value of $size is less than or equal to the length of the $array then no padding takes place. It is possible to add at most 1048576 elements at a time. PARAMETERS
o $array - Initial array of values to pad. o $size - New size of the array. o $value - Value to pad if $array is less than $size. RETURN VALUES
Returns a copy of the $array padded to size specified by $size with value $value. If $size is positive then the array is padded on the right, if it's negative then on the left. If the absolute value of $size is less than or equal to the length of the $array then no padding takes place. EXAMPLES
Example #1 array_pad(3) example <?php $input = array(12, 10, 9); $result = array_pad($input, 5, 0); // result is array(12, 10, 9, 0, 0) $result = array_pad($input, -7, -1); // result is array(-1, -1, -1, -1, 12, 10, 9) $result = array_pad($input, 2, "noop"); // not padded ?> SEE ALSO
array_fill(3), range(3). PHP Documentation Group ARRAY_PAD(3)