Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Which Process is causing Paging? Post 302811201 by -=XrAy=- on Thursday 23rd of May 2013 08:59:43 AM
Old 05-23-2013
Hi Chetanz,

Your are on the right way...

Code:
 man svmon

Code:
      options
            ( Continued description of the valid values for the options parameter).
              *    sortentity = [ inuse | pin | pgsp | virtual ]
<snip>
                     inuse
                          Sorts the reports in decreasing order of real memory consumption
                     pin
                          Sorts the reports in decreasing order of pinned memory consumption
                     pgsp
                          Sorts the reports in decreasing order of paging space consumption
                     virtual
                          Sorts the reports in decreasing order of virtual memory consumption

Code:
svmon -P -O summary=basic,unit=MB,sortentity=pgsp

If installed, I would use nmon to monitor the top processes (Option: t).

PS
In this context You should have a look on the AIX VMM page replacment algorithm.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-vmm/
Code:
vmo -h lru_file_repage

Last edited by -=XrAy=-; 05-23-2013 at 10:18 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Paging

Hi all, Is there a paging utility in UNIX, when we can page some one for some condition Best Regards Omran (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omran
1 Replies

2. AIX

Paging Space per process

This is my first post, and I am new to the UNIX world. Hopefully this question won't be too lame. I know that I can use topas to see the paging space used by some processes. I would like to script something that can add up the paging space used by process owned by or associated with an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alntht
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

paging

I need a script which sends a mail when paging is happening and which process is causing paging? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayaramanit
5 Replies

4. AIX

Paging space

Hi, I have paging size 2048M showed from topas and 10240M showed from "lsps -a", can anyone tell what is the difference? and how to change the PAGING SIZE (showed in topas) to 8192M? Can you please tell in detail step? Thanks! Victor #topas Topas Monitor for host: egsprc01dev ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorcheung
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output (Paging)

how to get output of a file which is large screen by screen (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mayur_verma
1 Replies

6. AIX

Paging

Hi , I have 8Gb memory in my JS21 server. When I run svmon it shows 3655Mb memory is utilized and 4344Mb free. I have configured 8Gb paging space and 14% is utilized which is 1Gb. I dont have memory issues but just want to know Why 1gb paging is utilized when my almost 4Gb real memory is free?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
6 Replies

7. AIX

How to know which process is causing the closed_wait?

I do have a friend who have this script already but lost it. Can you please help to give me a script that can capture the closed_wait on the stack and identify which process using it. I am thinking of using netstat and rmsock. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: depam
2 Replies

8. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (6 Replies)
6 Replies
swapon(2)							System Calls Manual							 swapon(2)

NAME
swapon - Adds a swap device for interleaved paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
swapon( char *path, int flags, int lowat, int hiwat ); PARAMETERS
Specifies the block special device to be made available. Specifies a flag. Only the MS_PREFER flag is currently supported, and it causes the specified path to be the preferred paging device. (Ignored on Tru64 UNIX.) Specifies the low water mark. (Ignored on Tru64 UNIX.) Specifies the high water mark. (Ignored on Tru64 UNIX.) DESCRIPTION
The swapon() function makes a block special device available to the system for allocation of paging and swapping space. (The operating system does not currently support paging and swapping to a normal file. All swapping and pages areas must be block special devices.) The calling process must have superuser privilege to call the swapon() function. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the swapon() function returns a value of 0 (zero). If an error has occurred, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If the swapon() function fails, errno may be set to one of the following values: A component of the path prefix is not a directory. The pathname contains a character with the high-order bit set, the device was not specified, the device configured by the path parameter was not configured into the system as a swap device, or the device does not allow paging. A component of a pathname exceeded NAME_MAX charac- ters, or an entire pathname exceeded PATH_MAX characters. The named device does not exist. Search permission is denied for a component of the path prefix. Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. The caller does not have appropriate privilege. The device specified by the path parameter has already been made available for swapping. The major device number of the path parameter is out of range (this indicates no device driver exists for the associated hardware). An I/O error occurred while opening the swap device. The path parameter points outside the process' allocated address space. An attempt was made to activate a paging file on a read-only file system. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: swapon(8), config(8) delim off swapon(2)