Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Suse Linux enterprise 10 - booting problem Post 302810399 by cjcox on Tuesday 21st of May 2013 06:17:08 PM
Old 05-21-2013
reiserfsck is needed. You'll want to boot from CD/DVD and go to rescue mode. Once at a root shell, you can do the reiserfsck --rebuild-tree. That command effectively scans the corrupted filesystem and rebuilds things from what it discovers. The reiserfs v3 is more like a large data structure on the disk... and so when bad blocks or certain bad shutdown situation occur, it gets corrupted. I've done --rebuild-tree many times successfully. My personal recommendation is to not use reiserfs on a something like a laptop (unless you are very careful to power it down nicely, running out of battery without any kind of power mgmt will likely cause the scenario, or just hard rebooting even...).
This User Gave Thanks to cjcox For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

How to configure Suse Enterprise Linux 9.0 for sending mails to smtp server...???

Hi All, I have a system running with Suse Enterprise Linux 9.0. xyz# uname -a Linux xyz 2.4.21-291-smp #1 SMP Tue May 24 14:07:45 UTC 2005 i686 unknown I would like to configure postfix on this system for sending mails as a root user using "mail" command to smtp server (Windows System)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Problem booting Sun ultra enterprise 450 server

Hi, I have a sun ultra enterprise 450 server. This server powers on and a white screen appears with the system and network information. But it doesnot boot up completely. Booting operation wil be halted by a warning: \usr\sbin\fsck not found. Most likely the mount of \usr failed or the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tgashwini
5 Replies

3. SuSE

LKCD for suse linux enterprise server 8

Hi, I have installed LKCD using lkcdutils pakage through Yast install and remove applications. I have used enterprise server cd for installation. But I did not found any service of lkcd like /etc/init.d/boo.lkcd there. if we dont have this servers lkcd dump can not be saved at dump... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryanabhay
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SunOS5.10 and SuSe Linux Enterprise

OK, I've been thrown into an issue at my company where the security folks want password aging turned on for their limited NIS environment. The config is a SunOS5.10 (Solaris 10) Master with several slaves and several SuSe Enterprise Server 11 Clients. What I'm looking to understand is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rzrv15
0 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

SUSE Linux Enterprise 12

Is there any SUSE enterprise 12 x86_32 version available? I have SUSE enterprise 12 x86_64 and I am unable to compile 32 programs in that. It looks to be that gcc compiler (32 bit) does not come with SUSE 12. How can I get that? Regards, George (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: George47
6 Replies
DEBUGREISERFS(8)                                              System Manager's Manual                                             DEBUGREISERFS(8)

NAME
debugreiserfs - The debugging tool for the ReiserFS filesystem. SYNOPSIS
debugreiserfs [ -dDJmoqpuSV ] [ -j device ] [ -B file ] [ -1 N ] device DESCRIPTION
debugreiserfs sometimes helps to solve problems with reiserfs filesystems. When run without options it prints the super block of the Reis- erFS filesystem found on the device. device is the special file corresponding to the device (e.g /dev/hdXX for an IDE disk partition or /dev/sdXX for a SCSI disk partition). OPTIONS
-j device prints the contents of the journal. The option -p allows it to pack the journal with other metadata into the archive. -J prints the journal header. -d prints the formatted nodes of the internal tree of the filesystem. -D prints the formatted nodes of all used blocks of the filesystem. -m prints the contents of the bitmap (slightly useful). -o prints the objectid map (slightly useful). -B file takes the list of bad blocks stored in the internal ReiserFS tree and translates it into an ascii list written to the specified file. -1 blocknumber prints the specified block of the filesystem. -p extracts the filesystem's metadata with debugreiserfs -p /dev/xxx | gzip -c > xxx.gz. None of your data are packed unless a filesys- tem corruption presents when the whole block having this corruption is packed. You send us the output, and we use it to create a filesystem with the same strucure as yours using debugreiserfs -u. When the data file is not too large, this usually allows us to quickly reproduce and debug the problem. -u builds the ReiserFS filesystem image with gunzip -c xxx.gz | debugreiserfs -u /dev/image of the previously packed metadata with debugreiserfs -p. The result image is not the same as the original filesystem, because mostly only metadata were packed with debu- greiserfs -p, but the filesystem structure is completely recreated. -S When -S is not specified -p deals with blocks marked used in the filesystem bitmap only. With this option set debugreiserfs will work with the entire device. -q When -p is in use, suppress showing the speed of progress. AUTHOR
This version of debugreiserfs has been written by Vitaly Fertman <vitaly@namesys.com>. BUGS
Please report bugs to the ReiserFS developers <reiserfs-dev@namesys.com>, providing as much information as possible--your hardware, kernel, patches, settings, all printed messages; check the syslog file for any related information. SEE ALSO
reiserfsck(8), mkreiserfs(8) Reiserfsprogs 3.6.21 January 2009 DEBUGREISERFS(8)