Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tricky sed required
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tricky sed required Post 302810345 by steadyonabix on Tuesday 21st of May 2013 04:15:00 PM
Old 05-21-2013
I'll go with yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartus11
Can something like "'e','e'" show up in your input data?
Hi

Thanks for the response Smilie

I'll go with yes on that.

To be honest I'm trying to anticipate some content that a bunch of developers are currently working on. I'm still unclear on exactly what they are going to do but they suggest I need to allow for at least a double quoted string that contains a single quote, so I guess two single quotes in a double quoted string is a possibility.

Cheers

Brad

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky Sed

Hello. I am trying to convert occurrences of 'NULL' from a datafile. The 'NULL' occurences appears at this: |NULL| NULL|NULL| NULL|NULL| NULL|NULL| NULL| There should be 52 fields per line. I would like any occurrence of | NULL| or |NULL| to appear as '||' Currently I am using this sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestbuyernc
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed-- command help required

Hi Gurus, I have a small requirement. Let suppose i have a file test.txt test.txt contains Dispatched date = '2008-04-08' Name = 'Logers' Now i want to add one more line to it as Number of Responses = "$a" $a will be chnaging dynamically which i had grepped it in the script. Now i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in sed required.

Hi All, I am facing a small problem in sed. I want to insert a line in the existing file. Existing code: access to attr=userPassword by self write by * auth access to * by self write by users read by anonymous auth Desired code: access to attr=userPassword by self... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required in sed or awk.

Hi All, I need to pick up data on both sides of "=" sign. For eg, following is the context that I have. 125.156.125.147=machine1 147.125.185.156=machine2 147.125.185.159=machine3 Can I have the ip address in one variable and machine name in another variable using sed or awk. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nua7
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required with awk/sed

Hi I have a file, with format like: column1|coulumn2|column3|column4 A|X|K|18 L|O|R|31,42,25 G|H|I|55,66 L|E|Q|25,31,94 output required: column1|coulumn2|column3|column4 A|X|K|18 L|O|R|31,25 L|E|Q|25,31 Input File Format: All columns are seperated using |, last column... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: New to awk
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky sed or awk question

Hello everyone, unfortunately I am no unix nor scripting guru, which is why I am asking for help here. I am trying to reformat a .csv file using sed or awk which has the following format: a,b,C-D-E,f,g h,i,J,k,l m,n,O-P-Q-R-S,t,u v,w,X-Y,z,a It's basically a 5-field text file which has an... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awayand
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another tricky sed or awk question

This post is in reference to https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/137977-tricky-sed-awk-question-post302428154.html#post302428154 I am trying to go the opposite direction now: I have the following file: a,b,C,f,g a,b,D,f,g a,b,E,f,g h,i,J,k,l m,n,O,t,u m,n,P,t,u m,n,Q,t,u... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: awayand
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed tricky problem

Hi, I have a file which contains two strings: AAAAA and BBBBB I have two variables in my script: DATE="03/21/2010" aDate="20100321" I need to replace string AAAAA with variable $DATE and BBBBB with $aDate. Here is what I do sed "s/AAAAA/$DATE/" $BASIC_TMPLT | sed "s/BBBBB/$aDate/" >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axed
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help required

Hi All, I have one file with below type of data in it, $ cat test.txt ###123 ###xyxytuerwb ###2 ###tyupe Here I would like to replace all the characters with "x" after the 3 "###" with the same number of characters. Can you please help me to achieve this. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Clarification required on sed

Hi Can some one tell what does this sed command do sed 's/*$//g I am more curious on the highlighted part , can some one explain what does that mean. Thanks Sri (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
1 Replies
PPI::Token::Quote::Double(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    PPI::Token::Quote::Double(3pm)

NAME
PPI::Token::Quote::Double - A standard "double quote" token INHERITANCE
PPI::Token::Quote::Double isa PPI::Token::Quote isa PPI::Token isa PPI::Element DESCRIPTION
A "PPI::Token::Quote::Double" object represents a double-quoted interpolating string. The string is treated as a single entity, PPI will not try to understand what is in the string during the parsing process. METHODS
There are several methods available for "PPI::Token::Quote::Double", beyond those provided by the parent PPI::Token::Quote, PPI::Token and PPI::Element classes. Got any ideas for methods? Submit a report to rt.cpan.org! interpolations The interpolations method checks to see if the double quote actually contains any interpolated variables. Returns true if the string contains interpolations, or false if not. simplify For various reasons, some people find themselves compelled to have their code in the simplest form possible. The "simply" method will turn a simple double-quoted string into the equivalent single-quoted string. If the double can be simplified, it will be modified in place and returned as a convenience, or returns false if the string cannot be simplified. SUPPORT
See the support section in the main module. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.10.1 2011-02-26 PPI::Token::Quote::Double(3pm)