Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare multiple files, identify common records and combine unique values into one file Post 302809501 by Jotne on Monday 20th of May 2013 02:57:50 AM
Old 05-20-2013
What have you tried so far?
Can you provide with example input and how you like the output to be?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine multiple files with common string into one new file.

I need to compile a large amount of data with a common string from individual text files throughout many directories. An example data file is below. I want to search for the following string, "cc_sectors_1" and combine all the data from each file which contains this string, into one new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GradStudent2010
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple files and print unique lines

Hi friends, I have multiple files. For now, let's say I have two of the following style cat 1.txt cat 2.txt output.txt Please note that my files are not sorted and in the output file I need another extra column that says the file from which it is coming. I have more than 100... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
19 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values in two files. For matching rows print corresponding values from File 1 in File2.

- I have two files (File 1 and File 2) and the contents of the files are mentioned below. - I am trying to compare the values of Column1 of File1 with Column1 of File2. If a match is found, print the corresponding value from Column2 of File1 in Column5 of File2. - I tried to modify and use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santoshbn
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing common values across multiple files

Hi All, I have multiple (5+) text files with single columns and I would like to grep the common values across all the text files and parse it to a new file. All the values are numerical. Please let me know how to do it using awk. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple unique lines from event log text file into one line, use PERL or AWK?

I can't decide if I should use AWK or PERL after pouring over these forums for hours today I decided I'd post something and see if I couldn't get some advice. I've got a text file full of hundreds of events in this format: Record Number : 1 Records in Seq : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mayday22
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple files, and extract items that are common to ALL files only

I have this code awk 'NR==FNR{a=$1;next} a' file1 file2 which does what I need it to do, but for only two files. I want to make it so that I can have multiple files (for example 30) and the code will return only the items that are in every single one of those files and ignore the ones... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: castrojc
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare columns of multiple files and print those unique string from File1 in an output file.

Hi, I have multiple files that each contain one column of strings: File1: 123abc 456def 789ghi File2: 123abc 456def 891jkl File3: 234mno 123abc 456def In total I have 25 of these type of file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get both common and missing values from multiple files

Hi, I have 5 files with two columns. I need to merge all the 5 files based on column 1. If any of them are missing then corresponding 2nd column should be substituted by missing value. I know hoe to do this for 2 files. but how can I implement for 5 files. I tried this based on 5 files but it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count Unique values from multiple lists of files

Looking for a little help here. I have 1000's of text files within a multiple folders. YYYY/ /MM /1000's Files Eg. 2014/01/1000 files 2014/02/1237 files 2014/03/1400 files There are folders for each year and each month, and within each monthly folder there are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whegra
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify varying unique fields values from a text file in UNIX?

Hi, I have a huge unsorted text file. We wanted to identify the unique field values in a line and consider those fields as a primary key for a table in upstream system. Basically, the process or script should fetch the values from each line that are unique compared to the rest of the lines in... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: manikandan23
13 Replies
ldns-compare-zones(1)					      General Commands Manual					     ldns-compare-zones(1)

NAME
ldns-compare-zones - read and compare two zonefiles and print differences SYNOPSIS
ldns-compare-zones [-c] [-i] [-d] [-z] [-s] ZONEFILE1 ZONEFILE2 DESCRIPTION
ldns-compare-zones reads two DNS zone files and prints number of differences. Output is formated to: +NUM_INS -NUM_DEL ~NUM_CHG The major comparison is based on the owner name. If an owner name is present in zonefile 1, but not in zonefile 2, the resource records with this owner name are considered deleted, and counted as NUM_DEL. If an owner name is present in zonefile 2, but not in zonefile 1, the resource records with this owner name are considered inserted, and counted as NUM_INS. If an owner name is present in both, but there is a difference in the amount or content of the records, these are considered changed, and counted as NUM_CHG. OPTIONS
-c Print resource records whose owner names are in both zone files, but with different resource records. (a.k.a. changed) -i Print resource records whose owner names are present only in ZONEFILE2 (a.k.a. inserted) -d Print resource records whose owner names are present only in ZONEFILE1 (a.k.a. deleted) -a Print all changes. Specifying this option is the same as specifying -c -i amd -d. -z Suppress zone sorting; this option is not recommended; it can cause records to be incorrectly marked as changed, depending of the nature of the changes. -s Do not exclude the SOA record from the comparison. The SOA record may then show up as changed due to a new serial number. Off by default since you may be interested to know if (other zone apex elements) have changed. -h Show usage and exit -v Show the version and exit AUTHOR
Written by Ondej Sury <ondrej@sury.org> for CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o. (czech domain registry) REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <ondrej@sury.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005 CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o.. This is free software. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. 17 Oct 2007 ldns-compare-zones(1)