Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PAssing variables to awk arithmetic Post 302809059 by Don Cragun on Saturday 18th of May 2013 04:25:16 AM
Old 05-18-2013
Note that if you use a Korn shell newer than the 1988 version, you can do this entirely in the shell. Just note that in awk the exponentiation operator is ^ but in ksh arithmetic expansions it is **. The script:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
IFS=, read var1 var2 < cre
printf "%s\n%s\n%.4f\n" "$var1" "$var2" \
        "$((141*(var1*0.0113/0.9)**-1.209*(0.993)**var2))" > ggh

when the file cre contains:
Code:

as its first line places the output:
Code:

in the file ggh.

If cre contains thousands of lines like the above, this could easily be converted to a while read loop to process all of the lines in the file:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
while IFS=, read var1 var2
do      printf "%s\n%s\n%.4f\n" "$var1" "$var2" \
                "$((141*(var1*0.0113/0.9)**-1.209*(0.993)**var2))"
done < cre > ggh

This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variables to AWK

Does anybody have an explanation for the following: The following scripts runs fine on IRIX64 6.5 but has bugs on Solaris 8. #! /bin/sh echo run only on an SGI machine echo type in linenumber read j echo value read value awk -f rmspass2 level=$value $j'step1.mlf' When the script is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AreaMan
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variables to Awk

Hi I have a unix shell script with an awk statement. I would like to print some of the fields of an input file. However, I would like to print them dynamically, ie by passing the literal $1 $3 into the script to define the output. I have tried the following: variable1='$1' awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk Variables

I am trying to pass the results from a variable gathered from awk, however when I echo the 'PARSE' and 'SUB', the response is blank. This is my command. awk -F= '/Unit/''{ PARSE=substr($2,1,5) ; SUB=substr($2,1,1) }' inputfile.lst Is this a kind of valid attempt or am I obligated to declare... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gozer13
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Shell Variables to an awk command

Hello, I have two files File1 & File2. File1 76 135 136 200 250 345 .... File2 1 24 1 35 1 36 1 72 .... I want to get all the values form File2 corresponding to the range in File 1 and feed it to a program. Is the code below right? Can I pass shell variables to awk in this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to shell

Hi. I need to parse file and assign some values to variables, right now i do like below MYHOMEDIR=`awk '/Home/ {print $NF}' output.txt` MYSHELL=`awk '/Shell/ {print $NF}' output.txt` PRGRP=`awk '/Primary/ {print $NF}' output.txt` SECGRP=`awk '/Second/ {print $NF}' output.txt` In this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh passing to awk multiple dyanamic variables awk -v

Using ksh to call a function which has awk script embedded. It parses a long two element list file, filled with text numbers (I want column 2, beginning no sooner than line 45, that's the only known thing) . It's unknown where to start or end the data collection, dynamic variables will be used. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highnthemnts
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables into AWK

I'm trying to use awk to write new entries to a hosts file if they don't exist. I need to do so depending on the type of system I have. Below is what I have, but it isn't working. awk -v myip1=$IP1 myip2=$IP2 myhost1=$HOST1 myhost2=$HOST2' BEGIN { mqhost1=0; mqhost2=0; stap1=0; stap2=0; } ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boomn4x4
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to awk

Hi guys, I need to fetch data from logfile between two given dates,i got the below code from our forum.It works perfect,but i need to enter the value dynamically to awk while running. awk '/2012 Jun/{p=1}!/2012 Jul/ && prev~/2012 Jul/ && p{p=0}{prev=$0}p' file i tried the below code,but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - passing variables in and out

Am looking to pass some Linux environment variables into AWK , can I simply use the -v option ? awk -F: -v AHOME=$HOME '{ if {rm AHOME/file.txt a=2 } }' config.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alldbest
4 Replies
VAR_EXPORT(3)								 1							     VAR_EXPORT(3)

var_export - Outputs or returns a parsable string representation of a variable

SYNOPSIS
mixed var_export (mixed $expression, [bool $return = false]) DESCRIPTION
var_export(3) gets structured information about the given variable. It is similar to var_dump(3) with one exception: the returned represen- tation is valid PHP code. PARAMETERS
o $expression - The variable you want to export. o $return - If used and set to TRUE, var_export(3) will return the variable representation instead of outputting it. RETURN VALUES
Returns the variable representation when the $return parameter is used and evaluates to TRUE. Otherwise, this function will return NULL. NOTES
Note When the $return parameter is used, this function uses internal output buffering so it cannot be used inside an ob_start(3) callback function. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Possibility to export classes and arrays con- | | | taining classes using the __set_state() magic | | | method. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 var_export(3) Examples <?php $a = array (1, 2, array ("a", "b", "c")); var_export($a); ?> The above example will output: array ( 0 => 1, 1 => 2, 2 => array ( 0 => 'a', 1 => 'b', 2 => 'c', ), ) <?php $b = 3.1; $v = var_export($b, true); echo $v; ?> The above example will output: 3.1 Example #2 Exporting classes since PHP 5.1.0 <?php class A { public $var; } $a = new A; $a->var = 5; var_export($a); ?> The above example will output: A::__set_state(array( 'var' => 5, )) Example #3 Using __set_state() (since PHP 5.1.0) <?php class A { public $var1; public $var2; public static function __set_state($an_array) { $obj = new A; $obj->var1 = $an_array['var1']; $obj->var2 = $an_array['var2']; return $obj; } } $a = new A; $a->var1 = 5; $a->var2 = 'foo'; eval('$b = ' . var_export($a, true) . ';'); // $b = A::__set_state(array( // 'var1' => 5, // 'var2' => 'foo', // )); var_dump($b); ?> The above example will output: object(A)#2 (2) { ["var1"]=> int(5) ["var2"]=> string(3) "foo" } NOTES
Note Variables of type resource couldn't be exported by this function. Note var_export(3) does not handle circular references as it would be close to impossible to generate parsable PHP code for that. If you want to do something with the full representation of an array or object, use serialize(3). Warning When var_export(3) exports objects, the leading backslash is not included in the class name of namespaced classes for maximum com- patibility. SEE ALSO
print_r(3), serialize(3), var_dump(3). PHP Documentation Group VAR_EXPORT(3)