Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to add line number using UNIX command? Post 302808915 by Don Cragun on Friday 17th of May 2013 05:35:02 PM
Old 05-17-2013
You could also try:
Code:
nl -ba -s "" -nrz file.dat

if you want something other than 6 digit line numbers, you can also add a -w option with an option argument specifying the number of digits you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script with line number at beginning of each line.

Could anybody help me. I need to create a script that reads a text file from STDIN and prints out the file to STDOUT with line numbers at the beginning of each line. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mascorro
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

making sure a command line paramter is a number

i need to make sure that a command line paramter is with in a certin set of numbers and i dont know how todo it with out checking individual numbers. if test $1 -eq (need something here) then echo hi fi like if i put individual numbers in there it works fine but how do i do a range (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To add a number at the end of the line

Hi Folks, Using the Vi, how can I add a numbers at the end of the line. For eg: I have the numbers in the file as: 58.125.33 22.58.68 25.144.225 114.25.38 I need to add .0/8 at the end of all the line. So, it should be like 58.125.33.0/8 22.58.68.0/8 25.144.225.0/8 114.25.38.0/8 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

add number in lines line by line in different files

I have a set of log files that are in the following format ======= set_1 ======== counter : 315 counter2: 204597 counter3: 290582 ======= set_2 ======== counter : 315 counter2: 204597 counter3: 290582 ======= set_3 ======== counter : 315 counter2: 204597 counter3: 290582 Is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: grandguest
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

add a number to the beginning of every line

hey, i would like to add a line number to the beginning like so: red blue green yellow will be: 1=>red 2=>blue 3=>green 4=>yellowplease advise thank u. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: boaz733
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Choose a line-number to add line

Hello guys, I'm making a script to add visudo with this script. Do you guys know if it's possible to add words to a line-number you want to. Something like this: echo "Adding words to line-number 16" >> /etc/sudoers # (options to add to line-number-16)? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dannyvdberg
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add line number to for loop?

> cat test.sh for t in `cat out.txt` do echo create directory data as "'"$t"';" done > output of out.txt is as below /oracle/SID/data1/file2_1/ /oracle/SID/data1/file1_1/ /oracle/SID/data1/file5_5/ /oracle/SID/data1/file_9/ /oracle/SID/data1/file_2/ when i run my test.sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crazy_max
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add line to previous line if not a number?

Hi, I am trying to compare 2 lists. However, one of these lists has to be taken from a.pdf file. When I copy the test into a .txt document there are formatting errors which I need to correct. The document is long (~10,000 lines) so I need to script the re-formatting. Currently my file looks... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlr
9 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Insets - Space between things DESCRIPTION
Graphics::Primitive::Insets represents the amount of space that surrounds something. This object can be used to represent either padding or margins (in the CSS sense, one being inside the bounding box, the other being outside) SYNOPSIS
use Graphics::Primitive::Insets; my $insets = Graphics::Primitive::Insets->new({ top => 5, bottom => 5, left => 5, right => 5 }); METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Graphics::Primitive::Insets. Instance Methods as_array Return these insets as an array in the form of top, right, bottom and left. bottom Set/Get the inset from the bottom. equal_to Determine if these Insets are equal to another. left Set/Get the inset from the left. right Set/Get the inset from the right. top Set/Get the inset from the top. zero Sets all the insets (top, left, bottom, right) to 0. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" SEE ALSO
perl(1) COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2010 by Cory G Watson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2010-08-21 Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)