Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Linux partitions and limitations Post 302808827 by Corona688 on Friday 17th of May 2013 03:20:07 PM
Old 05-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchlavier
So when doing the math it would seem that only a total of 8 partitions 4 primary and the rest extended are allowed on a hdd - is that still the case today with modern SATA hdds -Smilie
First off, it's got nothing to do with SATA or any other kind of controller. All a disk controller does is give you block #972983 when you ask for block #972983, and who cares what it means.

This is how Microsoft partitions work... Linux supports many different partition schemes, not just these, but most PC distributions use these because they tend to be installed alongside Windows on consumer PC's. That, and most consumer PC disk software expects this kind of partition table and won't be able to handle other kinds.

But you're slightly confused. Each of the 4 base partitions can be a primary partition or an extended partition, so you couldn't have 4 primary and one extended. You could have 1 primary ( to boot from ) and 3 extended, each of which can have 4 partitions inside them.

Last edited by Corona688; 05-17-2013 at 04:32 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mkdir limitations

What characters can't be used with a mkdir? Any limits on length of name? Thank you, Randy M. Zeitman http://www.StoneRoseDesign.com (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: flignar
12 Replies

2. Linux

File Sharing among NTFS Partition & RH Linux 9 Partitions

Well Guys, will anybody solve my problem? I have installed Win XP and RH Linux 9 (Dual Boot) on an Intel x86 Machine. Everything is going fine except that I cannot share files among the two operating systems. For example, if I download a PDF file from internet and save it in my Win XP partition... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password limitations.

I would like to set my minimum password length to on Linux and AIX. However, doing this normally would only make it so newly added users will be affected by this. I would like for when I make this change, it either truncates everyone elses password, or prompts them to change it to 8+ characters.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syndex
2 Replies

4. Linux

grub error 22,after removing linux partitions only windows is threre.Pc not booting.i

hi, in my pc linux and windows was there with 2 hdd in raid.i removed linux partititons.Now my ps is not booting giving grub error 22.Nothing works.I hace my data in windows.Hard disks are RAID.when tried to go to recovery mode from windoes boot cd,it says hard disk not detected.when tried with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

gnuplot limitations

I'm running a simulation (programmed in C) which makes calls to gnuplot periodically to plot data I have stored. First I open a pipe to gnuplot and set it to multiplot: FILE * pipe = popen("gnuplot", "w"); fprintf(pipe, "set multiplot\n"); fflush(pipe); (this pipe stays open until the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sedavidw
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Limitations on the partition of linux

Hi, I need a documentation about limitations on the linux partition. On how many primary and extended I could create. And also on different type of storage, how many big capacity I can create. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

7. Linux

What is the minimum number of partitions you need to install Linux?

I think its 3. Just to know if I am correct. / /boot swap :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin09
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed to understand partitions in linux

Hi guys, It has been more than 2 month i switched to linux but i m still very much confused how linux handles and names the partitions. I have gone through couple of beginners material and found linux doesnt treat partitions as c: and d: instead it uses /dev/hda1 /dev/hda2 hda3 .But now i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to check used space for each partitions in Linux?

we are using Disk utilization and filesystem utilization seperately. In AIX using $lsvg rootvg datavg $lspv hdisk1 PHYSICAL VOLUME: hdisk1 VOLUME GROUP: datavg PV IDENTIFIER: 00f65eab7acabb17 VG IDENTIFIER 00f65eab00004c00000001567b60a848 PV STATE: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freeaac
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Limitations of 'pdftotext' in Linux...

Guys: I have a customer using the 'pdftotext' utility under Linux. PDFs are received via email, converted to text, etc. and it has worked nicely for years. They received a PDF from a customer and the utility will not read it. The text file is created but it's either empty or has 1-2 bytes of... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenlenard
23 Replies
SD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     SD(4)

NAME
sd - driver for SCSI disk drives SYNOPSIS
#include <linux/hdreg.h> /* for HDIO_GETGEO */ #include <linux/fs.h> /* for BLKGETSIZE and BLKRRPART */ CONFIGURATION
The block device name has the following form: sdlp, where l is a letter denoting the physical drive, and p is a number denoting the parti- tion on that physical drive. Often, the partition number, p, will be left off when the device corresponds to the whole drive. SCSI disks have a major device number of 8, and a minor device number of the form (16 * drive_number) + partition_number, where drive_num- ber is the number of the physical drive in order of detection, and partition_number is as follows: +3 partition 0 is the whole drive partitions 1-4 are the DOS "primary" partitions partitions 5-8 are the DOS "extended" (or "logical") partitions For example, /dev/sda will have major 8, minor 0, and will refer to all of the first SCSI drive in the system; and /dev/sdb3 will have major 8, minor 19, and will refer to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second SCSI drive in the system. At this time, only block devices are provided. Raw devices have not yet been implemented. DESCRIPTION
The following ioctls are provided: HDIO_GETGEO Returns the BIOS disk parameters in the following structure: struct hd_geometry { unsigned char heads; unsigned char sectors; unsigned short cylinders; unsigned long start; }; A pointer to this structure is passed as the ioctl(2) parameter. The information returned in the parameter is the disk geometry of the drive as understood by DOS! This geometry is not the physical geometry of the drive. It is used when constructing the drive's partition table, however, and is needed for convenient operation of fdisk(1), efdisk(1), and lilo(1). If the geometry information is not available, zero will be returned for all of the parameters. BLKGETSIZE Returns the device size in sectors. The ioctl(2) parameter should be a pointer to a long. BLKRRPART Forces a reread of the SCSI disk partition tables. No parameter is needed. The SCSI ioctl(2) operations are also supported. If the ioctl(2) parameter is required, and it is NULL, then ioctl(2) fails with the error EINVAL. FILES
/dev/sd[a-h] the whole device /dev/sd[a-h][0-8] individual block partitions COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 SD(4)