Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Generic drive in a Sun Storage Array? Post 302808801 by hicksd8 on Friday 17th of May 2013 02:31:51 PM
Old 05-17-2013
I've just looked up the J4200 and it doesn't appear to be a hardware RAID controller. Do you have software RAID running on there? Is the failed drive part of an array? RAID1, RAID5 or the like? If it is, then the replacement must have the same or more LBA's (Logical Blocks as indicated on the physical labels on the drives) than the failed drive. If it has even one less LBA than the failed drive, then it won't work in the array (without deleting, re-initialising and restoring the array from backup).

If the failed drive was not part of an array but just used as simple storage then everything should be fine. You'll need to write a Sun label (using the format command), slice it up, and create the filesystems.

I see these two drives are slightly different, ST314655S and ST3146356S.
That's.....

'ST' = Seagate Technology
'3'= three inch profile
'14655' = 146.55GB vs '14635' = 146.35GB
So the replacement drive looks a teeny bit smaller.

Good news is that you won't do any damage by putting it in there but, if it's part of an array, it won't rebuild. It will just sit there.

Hope that helps. Do post back whether you make progress or not.

Last edited by hicksd8; 05-17-2013 at 03:47 PM..

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Solaris

Acessing files on Sun Storage J4200 array

Hi. I'm maintaining a small network of Solaris/Linux clients with a NFS/NIS server running Solaris 10. The server is a SPARC Enterprise M4000 sharing NFS filesystem that the clients are mounting. The hard drives on the server are on a Sun Storage J4200 array of 12 disks. I don't have details on... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: JhnHta
13 Replies
SDL::Cdrom(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     SDL::Cdrom(3)

NAME
SDL::Cdrom - a SDL perl extension for managing CD-ROM drives SYNOPSIS
use SDL::Cdrom; $cdrom = SDL::Cdrom->new(0); $cdrom->play(); EXPORTS
o "CD_NUM_DRIVES". DESCRIPTION
Create a new SDL::Cdrom object. The passed $id is the number of the drive, whereas 0 is the first drive etc. use SDL::Cdrom; my $drive => SDL::Cdrom->new($id); METHODS
CD_NUM_DRIVES() Returns the number of CD-ROM drives present. name() Returns the system dependent name of the CD-ROM device. status() Return the status of the drive. play() Play a track. pause() Pause the playing. resume() Resume the playing. stop() Stop the playing. eject() Eject the medium in the drive. id() Return the ID of the drive. num_tracks() Return the number of tracks on the medium. track() Returns the track description current() Return the current played track number. current_frame() Return the current frame. AUTHORS
David J. Goehrig Documentation by Tels <http://bloodgate.com/>. SEE ALSO
perl SDL::Mixer SDL::App. perl v5.12.1 2010-07-05 SDL::Cdrom(3)