Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers List of All Users Stored in Variable Post 302808763 by hobscrk777 on Friday 17th of May 2013 12:52:49 PM
Old 05-17-2013
List of All Users Stored in Variable

I'm trying to get a list of all users on the system, store the list in a variable, then find all the files of a certain extension owned by each of the users.

The command I use to get the list is
Code:
getent passwd | cut -d: -f1 | sort

and this works just fine. However, if I try to store it in a variable, using
Code:
users=$(getent passwd | cut -d: -f1 | sort)

the list isn't complete. If I type
Code:
users

, I only get a fraction of the list.

Any thoughts? I'm stumped!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can i exectue a command stored in a variable.it goes like this

hi the code i ve written is as follows: command="egrep ',100,|,200,' | wc -l" count =`cat trial.txt | $command` echo "$count" the contents of trial.txt is : 000,100,200,300, 001,200,100,201, 002,200,100,400, i need to get the count using the command stored in a variable and using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syms
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the string stored in a variable in a line???

Hi all, I want to search for a data type in a line.For this in a loop i am checking for $DATA_TYPE in a line using grep.But grep is not able to find when i give this. Can any one tell me how to check string in $DATA_TYPE variable in line usign grep (or) any other way to do the above task. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment variable stored in a file

Hi, I want to write a perl script, which will increment number stored in file. I want to do this without any file handles. I think we have to use some UNIX commands. I am not sure how to do this with file handles. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solitare123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

space delimited list of users in a variable

Greetings So glad I found this forum! I need to get a list of users in a variable so I can use "for" to iterate through them in a bash script. I know this does not work, but I need to do something like this: myusers=(cat /etc/passwd | cut -f1 -d ) for myuser in $myusers do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not found error for a variable which is returned from stored procedure

can anyone please help me with this: i have written a shell script and a stored procedure which has one OUT parameter. now i want to use that out parameter as an input to the unix script but i am getting an error as variable not found. below are the unix scripts and stored procedure... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap21783
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function returns a value but cannot be stored in other variable

I need help to store the value returned from the function to one variable and then use that variable. PREVIOUS_DATE_FUNCTION() { date '+%m %d %Y' | { read MONTH DAY YEAR DAY=`expr "$DAY" - 1` case "$DAY" in 0) MONTH=`expr "$MONTH" - 1` case... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Resolve parameter value stored in a variable

Hi All, I have below variable, xyz=\$AI_XFR Now, if you will run the below command => echo $xyz $AI_XFR It is returning hardcoded string value. Whereas in environment, there is value in it. Like below: => echo $AI_XFR /home/aditya/sandbox/xfr/ I need to resolve this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adgangwar
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run command stored in variable

Hi, I have a shell script where I have to connect t oracle database. I have to store the command in a variable and then run the command through the variable.The OS is solaris 10 and the shell is bash.pls help when I run the command it doesnot work.Thanks. if CONNECT= "sqlplus... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rossdba
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Applying sed against a file from a list of values stored in a variable

Hi Forum. I have the following challenge at work that I need to write a script for. I have a file abc.txt with the following contents: 4560123456 4570987654 4580654321 I want to be able to search/replace in abc.txt - the first 4 characters anything starting with 4560 to 7777; 4570... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
3 Replies
lpusers(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       lpusers(1M)

NAME
lpusers - set printing queue priorities SYNOPSIS
lpusers -d priority-level lpusers -q priority-level -u login-ID-list lpusers -u login-ID-list lpusers -q priority-level lpusers -l DESCRIPTION
The lpusers command sets limits to the queue priority level that can be assigned to jobs submitted by users of the LP print service. The first form of the command (with -d) sets the system-wide priority default to priority-level, where priority-level is a value of 0 to 39, with 0 being the highest priority. If a user does not specify a priority level with a print request (see lp(1)), the default priority level is used. Initially, the default priority level is 20. The second form of the command (with -q and -u) sets the default highest priority-level (0-39) that the users in login-ID-list can request when submitting a print request. The login-ID-list argument may include any or all of the following constructs: login-ID A user on any system system_name!login-ID A user on the system system_name system_name!all All users on system system_name all!login-ID A user on all systems all All users on all systems Users that have been given a limit cannot submit a print request with a higher priority level than the one assigned, nor can they change a request that has already been submitted to have a higher priority. Any print requests submitted with priority levels higher than allowed will be given the highest priority allowed. The third form of the command (with -u) removes any explicit priority level for the specified users. The fourth form of the command (with -q) sets the default highest priority level for all users not explicitly covered by the use of the second form of this command. The last form of the command (with -l) lists the default priority level and the priority limits assigned to users. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d priority-level Set the system-wide priority default to priority-level. -l List the default priority level and the priority limits assigned to users. -q priority-level Set the default highest priority level for all users not explicitly covered. -q priority-level -u login-ID-list Set the default highest priority-level that the users in login-ID-list can request when submitting a print request. -u login-ID-list Remove any explicit priority level for the specified users. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWpsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
lp(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 19 Aug 1996 lpusers(1M)