Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: iptables in a NAT scenario
Special Forums Cybersecurity iptables in a NAT scenario Post 302808751 by capri_guy84 on Friday 17th of May 2013 12:16:31 PM
Old 05-17-2013
iptables in a NAT scenario

Hi, I am learning IPTables have this question.

My server is behind a firewall that does a PAT & NAT to the LAN address.
Code:
Internet IP: 68.1.1.23
Port: 10022

Server LAN IP: 10.1.1.23
port: 22

Allowed Internet IPs:  131.1.1.23, 132.1.1.23

I want to allow a set of IPs are to be able to SSH & DROP all other traffic. The question where I got confused is my destination address

Packet from computer on Internet:
Code:
Source IP: 131.1.1.23            sourceport:<random>
Destination IP: 68.1.1.23        destinationport: 10022

Packet seen by server behind firewall:
Code:
source IP: 68.1.1.23   sourceport: 2522
destinatation IP: 10.1.1.23   destinationport: 22

Q1) Now, how do I write my IPtables ruleset, if the host is not able to see the actual source of the traffic?

Q2) I also want to block any SSH from within 10.0.0.0/subnet as it will be a colo facility & other servers share LAN addresses.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Ftp'ing thru a Iptables NAT Masquerade

Greetings to all. My new firewall is giving me one hell of a problem. I'm running iptables and masquerading my intranet thru NAT. But here is the problem. Whenever I try to FTP to a server outside of my lan I get a 500 illegal port error. I've come to the conclusion that NAT is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phrater
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

iptables internal NAT with two public IP

Hello Guys, I have a debian machine that work as a firewall (iptables + squid 2.6) with two physical interfaces: eth0 (public interface) and eth1 (internal interface LAN). I have created an alias eth1:1 in order to have two subnets on same physical interface: cat/etc/network/interfaces auto... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sincity2006
0 Replies

3. IP Networking

How to configure Full Cone NAT using iptables ?

Hi Experts; I want to find the right iptables commands combination to address the following need: - NEs are NATed thru the linux box (using iptables) towards the WAN cloud, where the NTP servers are situated. - In order to achieve redundancy, the NTP Servers are in a load balancing cluster... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lvl1s7a
0 Replies

4. Debian

Iptables Nat forward port 29070

Hello, the Nat and the forward worked on my debian server up to the reboot of machines. The following rules*: /sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth2 -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --dport 29070 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.1.7:29070 /sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -i eth2 -o eth0 -d... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: titoms
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

iptables NAT prerouting & postrouting

Good morning, I'm a newbie of iptables and as far as I've seen on tutorials on the Internet it seems that both prerouting and postrouting NAT chains are undergone both by a packet that goes from an internal LAN to the Internet and of a one that goes in the opposite direction (from the Internet to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: giac85
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

NAT Loopback and iptables

Hello, please can you help and explain me. I have two servers. Both are RHEL6. I use the first one like router and the second one for apache. Router forwards 80 port on the second server and I can open that from the internet (mysite.com, for example). But I can not open mysite.com if i try to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 6765656755
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

Nat and packet limits with iptables

Hi all, I have a following situation: - I want certain source IPs to be natted to a different destination IP and Port. Following is how I am achieving it: /usr/local/sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -s 192.168.10.12 --dport 1500 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.10.20:2000 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmerin
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

Debugging NAT / prerouting issues (iptables)

Hello, Recently I discovered an issue with packet routing in the latest Android releases (4.4+ KitKat & Lollipop). It seems that the problem Android specific, but essentially it comes from the Linux kernel. I already filed a bug report to Google. You can see the details by searching for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vladislav
0 Replies

9. IP Networking

NAT via iptables - Won't work!!

Hi guys I'm running on debian on a small embedded system. I have a ppp interface that is connected to the internet (and works). My unit also has wifi access point (which works and I can connect to it). I want to allow connections to the wifi to be able to use the internet from ppp0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alirezan1
1 Replies

10. Cybersecurity

Openvpn nat and iptables

good day good people hi first to tell that firewall and vpn is working as expected, but I notice something strange. I have host system 11.11.11.11(local ip) firewall is blocking everything except port to vpn. I have vpn on virtualized system 22.22.22.22 (CentOS both host and virtual). ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: end
0 Replies
IPTABLES-SAVE(8)                                                  iptables 1.6.1                                                  IPTABLES-SAVE(8)

NAME
iptables-save -- dump iptables rules to stdout ip6tables-save -- dump iptables rules to stdout SYNOPSIS
iptables-save [-M modprobe] [-c] [-t table] ip6tables-save [-M modprobe] [-c] [-t table] DESCRIPTION
iptables-save and ip6tables-save are used to dump the contents of IP or IPv6 Table in easily parseable format to STDOUT. Use I/O-redirect- ion provided by your shell to write to a file. -M, --modprobe modprobe_program Specify the path to the modprobe program. By default, iptables-save will inspect /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe to determine the exe- cutable's path. -c, --counters include the current values of all packet and byte counters in the output -t, --table tablename restrict output to only one table. If not specified, output includes all available tables. BUGS
None known as of iptables-1.2.1 release AUTHORS
Harald Welte <laforge@gnumonks.org> Rusty Russell <rusty@rustcorp.com.au> Andras Kis-Szabo <kisza@sch.bme.hu> contributed ip6tables-save. SEE ALSO
iptables-apply(8),iptables-restore(8), iptables(8) The iptables-HOWTO, which details more iptables usage, the NAT-HOWTO, which details NAT, and the netfilter-hacking-HOWTO which details the internals. iptables 1.6.1 IPTABLES-SAVE(8)