Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copying data from files to directories Post 302808745 by MadeInGermany on Friday 17th of May 2013 12:06:06 PM
Old 05-17-2013
For standard shells:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

echo "\
F1 dira
F2 dirb
F3 dirc
F4 dird" |
while read file dir
do
  cp "/tmp/$file" "/path/to/$dir/"
done

Or, robust against programs that read from stdin:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

while read file dir <&3
do
  cp "/tmp/$file" "/path/to/$dir/"
done 3<< _EOT
F1 dira
F2 dirb
F3 dirc
F4 dird
_EOT

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 05-17-2013 at 01:14 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying multiple directories at the same time using Unix

Another Unix question. How would I copy multiple directories at the same time? Right now I do: cp -r -f /directory1/ ../backup/directory1/ I do that for each directory one at a time. But there are multiple directories I'd like to copy. So instead of sitting there and doing one at a time, is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPigford
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying to multiple directories using wildcard

Can we copy a file to multiple directories using a single command line , i tried with * didnt work for me cp /tmp/a.kool /tmp/folder/*/keys/ I am tryn to copy a.kool file to all keys folder in /tmp folder. is something i am missing ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: logic0
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using find -d and copying to the found directories

Hi again All :) After posting my first thread just a few eeks ago and having such a great response (Thank You once again :) ), I thought I'd perhaps ask the experts again. In short I'm trying to achieve a "find" and "copy" where the find needs to find directories: find -d -name outbox and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dean Rotherham
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup script: Copying and removing directories based on list

I am writing a simple backup script, but I cannot figure out how to remove directories that are found in a list. For example: DONT_COPY=" .adobe/ .bin/google-earth " tar -zcvf - * --exclude=$DONT_COPY | openssl des3 -salt -k $1 | dd of=$(hostname)-$(date +%Y%m%d).tbz > COPIED Note that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotancohen
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a files from a filter list and creating their associated parent directories

Hello all, I'm trying to copy all files within a specified directory to another location based on a find filter of mtime -1 (Solaris OS). The issue that I'm having is that in the destination directory, I want to retain the source directory structure while copying over only the files that have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hunter55
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying multiplies files into multiplies directories

Hello ! I have a file structure like this: 1_0/file1.tiff 1_1/file2.tiff 1_2/file3.tiff 1_3/file4.tiff 1_4/file5.tiff 1_5/file6.tiff 1_6/file7.tiff 2_0/file8.tiff 2_1/file9.tiff 2_2/file10.tiff 2_3/file11.tiff etc. There is only one file in one directory. I'd like to have files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kossy
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying all directories while ignoring certain filetypes

I want to write a script that copys over a complete folder including the dirs to another location. However in the process I want to ignore several filetypse that SHOULD NOT get copied over. I know Global Ignore is capable of make the copy command ignore one file type, however I don't know how... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error check for copying growing directories

I have a simple script which copies directory from one place to another and deleting the source . I am facing a situation when new files gets added when the script has started running. Its resulting in data loss Please suggest a way to avoid data loss. I googled a lot but most are perl... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying Directories from one server to another

Hi, I have a requirement where I have to connect to another server and copy directories from one server to another Directories on the Source server look like below (YYYY-MM-DD- 1 to 23) drwxr-xr-x 2 test_user dmfmart 422 Sep 1 23:45 2014-09-01-18 drwxr-xr-x 2 test_user dmfmart ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkesi
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files to directories based on first 6 character

guys, i did create a script but its too long, though it function the same. # cat nightlyscan.sh #!/usr/ksh deyt=`date +"%Y-%m-%d"` for i in `ls -lrt|grep $deyt|awk '{print $9}'` do cp -f $i /S1/Sophos/logger/ done # but i did not paste it all. this is the desired. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
9 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)