Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Passwd Utility Corrupted
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Passwd Utility Corrupted Post 302808637 by hawess on Friday 17th of May 2013 06:15:13 AM
Old 05-17-2013
Passwd Utility Corrupted

I have a legacy Solaris 8 machine. Someone has overwitten the passwd utility so I now can't change passwords.

Is there somwhere I can download a copy? I do have the installation CDs as well.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX/Win passwd synchronization utility

I know I saw a couple posts about this a long time ago, but could not find them with search. Please refresh my memory. -Chuck (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

passwd file corrupted

Good Day Our HP box was hacked and the passwd file has been altered,there are only 2 user accounts active,and these dont have any administrative rights.I need to edit the passwd file to correct the su and root entries. Does any body have any suggestions as to how i can do this with out the root... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cantona7
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help! passwd file corrupted

Hi, I am new to UNIX, and have recently installed Suse 9.3. I have been experimenting with all of the commands and have somehow managed to modify the default shell of the root user to an invalid file. Consequently I cannot su to the root user as I receive the 'no such file or directory' error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tony Montana
2 Replies

4. AIX

LV corrupted

I'm getting the following error after we replaced a failed disk in a mirrored logical volume. We cleared the device entry in ODM before adding the new disk but when we create the mirror we get the following error after running lslv. 0516-022 lslv: Illegal parameter or structure value.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alfredo Jimenez
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Unzip a file using unzip utility for files zipped without zip utility ?

Hi, I need to zip/compress a data file and send to a vendor. The vendor does have only unzip utility and can accept only .ZIP files. I do not have zip utility in my server. How do I zip/compress the file so that it can be deflated using unzip command ? I tried gzip & compress commands, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Root shell in /etc/passwd is corrupted

I accidentally changed root shell from /bin/bash to bash in /etc/password, then logged out from root. Now I can't login as root and got "No shell" error, although I have root password. "su -f -s /bin/bash" command does NOT work. There is no GUI interface for this system. My question: Do I have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
7 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

/etc/name_to_sysnum corrupted

Hi all , i have an issue in netra 20 server when i boot the system its getting rebooting and it is giving tha" /etc/name_to_sysnum " file not found i done OK> boot -ar then also not solved please can any body send the answer ASAP regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wkbn86
3 Replies

8. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

9. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Big problem: shell entry in /etc/passwd corrupted for user root

did a big mistake, changing root entry of /etc/passwd to root:x:0:0:root:/root:/usr/bin/tmux split-window -v \; attach as expected, now I can't login as root anymore. sudo ed /etc/passwd etc. doesn't work. Any idea? Use code tags to increase readability and follow the rules. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dodona
4 Replies
PASSWD(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 PASSWD(1)

NAME
passwd -- modify a user's password SYNOPSIS
passwd [-i infosystem [-l location]] [-u authname] [user] DESCRIPTION
The passwd utility changes the user's password. If the user is not the super-user, passwd first prompts for the current password and will not continue unless the correct password is entered. When entering the new password, the characters entered do not echo, in order to avoid the password being seen by a passer-by. The passwd utility prompts for the new password twice in order to detect typing errors. The new password should be at least six characters long and not purely alphabetic. Its total length should be less than _PASSWORD_LEN (cur- rently 128 characters), although some directory systems allow longer passwords. Numbers, upper case letters, and meta characters are encour- aged. Once the password has been verified, passwd communicates the new password to the directory system. -i infosystem This option specifies where the password update should be applied. Under Mac OS X 10.5 and later, supported directory systems are: PAM (default) Pluggable Authentication Modules. opendirectory A system conforming to Open Directory APIs and supporting updates (including LDAP, etc). If no -l option is specified, the search node is used. file The local flat-files (included for legacy configurations). nis A remote NIS server containing the user's password. -l location This option causes the password to be updated in the given location of the chosen directory system. for file, location may be a file name (/etc/master.passwd is the default) for nis, location may be a NIS domainname for opendirectory, location may be a directory node name for PAM, location is not used -u authname This option specifies the user name to use when authenticating to the directory node. user This optional argument specifies the user account whose password will be changed. This account's current password may be required, even when run as the super-user, depending on the directory system. FILES
/etc/master.passwd The user database /etc/passwd A Version 7 format password file /etc/passwd.XXXXXX Temporary copy of the password file SEE ALSO
chpass(1), login(1), dscl(1), passwd(5), pwd_mkdb(8), vipw(8) Robert Morris and Ken Thompson, UNIX password security. HISTORY
A passwd command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. Mac OS X August 18, 2008 Mac OS X