Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Passwd Utility Corrupted
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Passwd Utility Corrupted Post 302808637 by hawess on Friday 17th of May 2013 06:15:13 AM
Old 05-17-2013
Passwd Utility Corrupted

I have a legacy Solaris 8 machine. Someone has overwitten the passwd utility so I now can't change passwords.

Is there somwhere I can download a copy? I do have the installation CDs as well.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX/Win passwd synchronization utility

I know I saw a couple posts about this a long time ago, but could not find them with search. Please refresh my memory. -Chuck (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

passwd file corrupted

Good Day Our HP box was hacked and the passwd file has been altered,there are only 2 user accounts active,and these dont have any administrative rights.I need to edit the passwd file to correct the su and root entries. Does any body have any suggestions as to how i can do this with out the root... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cantona7
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help! passwd file corrupted

Hi, I am new to UNIX, and have recently installed Suse 9.3. I have been experimenting with all of the commands and have somehow managed to modify the default shell of the root user to an invalid file. Consequently I cannot su to the root user as I receive the 'no such file or directory' error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tony Montana
2 Replies

4. AIX

LV corrupted

I'm getting the following error after we replaced a failed disk in a mirrored logical volume. We cleared the device entry in ODM before adding the new disk but when we create the mirror we get the following error after running lslv. 0516-022 lslv: Illegal parameter or structure value.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alfredo Jimenez
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Unzip a file using unzip utility for files zipped without zip utility ?

Hi, I need to zip/compress a data file and send to a vendor. The vendor does have only unzip utility and can accept only .ZIP files. I do not have zip utility in my server. How do I zip/compress the file so that it can be deflated using unzip command ? I tried gzip & compress commands, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Root shell in /etc/passwd is corrupted

I accidentally changed root shell from /bin/bash to bash in /etc/password, then logged out from root. Now I can't login as root and got "No shell" error, although I have root password. "su -f -s /bin/bash" command does NOT work. There is no GUI interface for this system. My question: Do I have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
7 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

/etc/name_to_sysnum corrupted

Hi all , i have an issue in netra 20 server when i boot the system its getting rebooting and it is giving tha" /etc/name_to_sysnum " file not found i done OK> boot -ar then also not solved please can any body send the answer ASAP regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wkbn86
3 Replies

8. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

9. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Big problem: shell entry in /etc/passwd corrupted for user root

did a big mistake, changing root entry of /etc/passwd to root:x:0:0:root:/root:/usr/bin/tmux split-window -v \; attach as expected, now I can't login as root anymore. sudo ed /etc/passwd etc. doesn't work. Any idea? Use code tags to increase readability and follow the rules. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dodona
4 Replies
CHPASSWD(8)						    System Management Commands						       CHPASSWD(8)

NAME
chpasswd - update passwords in batch mode SYNOPSIS
chpasswd [options] DESCRIPTION
The chpasswd command reads a list of user name and password pairs from standard input and uses this information to update a group of existing users. Each line is of the format: user_name:password By default the passwords must be supplied in clear-text, and are encrypted by chpasswd. Also the password age will be updated, if present. The default encryption algorithm can be defined for the system with the ENCRYPT_METHOD or MD5_CRYPT_ENAB variables of /etc/login.defs, and can be overwitten with the -e, -m, or -c options. chpasswd first updates all the passwords in memory, and then commits all the changes to disk if no errors occured for any user. This command is intended to be used in a large system environment where many accounts are created at a single time. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chpasswd command are: -c, --crypt-method METHOD Use the specified method to encrypt the passwords. The available methods are DES, MD5, NONE, and SHA256 or SHA512 if your libc support these methods. By default (if none of the -c, -m, or -e options are specified), the encryption method is defined by the ENCRYPT_METHOD or MD5_CRYPT_ENAB variables of /etc/login.defs. -e, --encrypted Supplied passwords are in encrypted form. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -m, --md5 Use MD5 encryption instead of DES when the supplied passwords are not encrypted. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --sha-rounds ROUNDS Use the specified number of rounds to encrypt the passwords. The value 0 means that the system will choose the default number of rounds for the crypt method (5000). A minimal value of 1000 and a maximal value of 999,999,999 will be enforced. You can only use this option with the SHA256 or SHA512 crypt method. By default, the number of rounds is defined by the SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS and SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS variables in /etc/login.defs. CAVEATS
Remember to set permissions or umask to prevent readability of unencrypted files by other users. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: ENCRYPT_METHOD (string) This defines the system default encryption algorithm for encrypting passwords (if no algorithm are specified on the command line). It can take one of these values: DES (default), MD5, SHA256, SHA512. Note: this parameter overrides the MD5_CRYPT_ENAB variable. MD5_CRYPT_ENAB (boolean) Indicate if passwords must be encrypted using the MD5-based algorithm. If set to yes, new passwords will be encrypted using the MD5-based algorithm compatible with the one used by recent releases of FreeBSD. It supports passwords of unlimited length and longer salt strings. Set to no if you need to copy encrypted passwords to other systems which don't understand the new algorithm. Default is no. This variable is superseded by the ENCRYPT_METHOD variable or by any command line option used to configure the encryption algorithm. This variable is deprecated. You should use ENCRYPT_METHOD. SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS (number), SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS (number) When ENCRYPT_METHOD is set to SHA256 or SHA512, this defines the number of SHA rounds used by the encryption algorithm by default (when the number of rounds is not specified on the command line). With a lot of rounds, it is more difficult to brute forcing the password. But note also that more CPU resources will be needed to authenticate users. If not specified, the libc will choose the default number of rounds (5000). The values must be inside the 1000-999,999,999 range. If only one of the SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS or SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS values is set, then this value will be used. If SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS > SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS, the highest value will be used. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
passwd(1), newusers(8), login.defs(5), useradd(8). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 CHPASSWD(8)