Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using a script to define variables and run multiple other scripts in succession. Post 302808321 by bluejwxn8 on Thursday 16th of May 2013 12:18:41 PM
Old 05-16-2013
Using a script to define variables and run multiple other scripts in succession.

I'm pretty new to scripting in Korn shell so please forgive me...

What I'm trying to do is to create a script that calls multiple other ksh scripts and defines variables for text files.

I need it to define my user defined variables (file paths, date & time stamps, etc that are currently in two other text files that are already called by the existing scripts) and then call one script and wait for it to finish and then run another script and so on. I thought about combining the scripts but each one is very large already, I'm using "public" scripts, and I don't always need to run every script. Idealy I'd like to modify the "master" script to input my variables for the text files and comment out the scripts I won't need this run and then run it so that it consecutively runs what scripts are left...

Example of how it currently works...

1.Modify "date_filetype_1.txt" with a date & time and filepaths.
example variables are "beg_dtg=yyyymmdd", "end_dtg=yyyymmdd", etc and this is all the text file contains...
2.Modify "date_filetype_2.txt" with identical dates & time and filepaths.
3. Run "script_1.ksh" and wait for it to finish.
4. Run "script_2.ksh" and wait for it to finish and so on for anywhere between 2 and 12 scripts.

Thanks for helping a rookie!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 script or multiple scripts?? - check files, run jobs

Question for anyone that might be able to help: My objective is to eheck if a file (a source file) exists in a directory. If it does then, I'd like to call an application (Informatica ETL file...not necessary to know) to run a program which extracts data and loads it into multiple targets. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnanasakti
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sh script to run multiple php scripts

I wrote a .sh script to run 5 php scripts. The problem is that it's running 1 then 2 then 3 in that order .... I want it to execute all 5 at ONCE.... nohup php /home/script1/script1.php && nohup php /home/script2/script2.php && nohup php /home/script3/script3.php && nohup php... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: holyearth
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing several bash scripts in succession

Hi, I am new to shell programming. I am trying to automate setting up a network using several scripts. Some of the scripts require to reboot in order to continue with the setup. Is it possible to enter another script as soon as the system reboots. Also, if the last line of the script is bash... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fantasyland
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to make the variables of one script available for the other scripts?

Hello Everyone, I want to know how can we make the variables of one script available for the other script? for example i have three scripts variable_availability.sh,first.sh,second.sh and a file containing variables called common ---------------------------------- cat variable_availability.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Define variables with UNIX script

oopps! I Meant "Define Variables within a UNIX Script" What would be the best way to define a variable in a unix shell script so anyone who views this script doesn't know what value is assigned to that variable. some other location... a="/usr/lib/fileA" Unix script... sed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: macastor
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop to define variables in KSH

Hi, I am trying to use a database to store configurations in an environment definition scripts to make the configurations easily modifiable. (long story short - it is an easier process to make changes in the db than trying to deploy a file). The values will be stored in the database in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gbala
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script with multiple variables like 25 variables.

Hi All, i have a requirement where i have to run a script with at least 25 arguements and position of arguements can also change. the unapropriate way is like below. can we achieve this in more good and precise way?? #!/bin/ksh ##script is sample.ksh age=$1 gender=$2 class=$3 . . .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Define Variables

Hi, I just define the variable in script and use those script in another script but the variable not recognize. test1.sh #!/bin/bash DB="test_db" USR="test_user" PWD="test_pwd" HST="24.254.87.12" test2.sh #!/bin/bash ./test1.sh mysql -u $USR -p $PWD -h $HST... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

A single script to run multiple scripts

Hi , Can someone help! I need a shell script to run multiple scripts by using single shell script, incase any one of the scripts fails, it should get exit and after trouble shooting if we re-execute it, it should start from the failed script. I have a written a scripting till the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anniesurolyn
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

To run multiple scripts

Hi , Can someone help! I need a shell script to run multiple scripts by using single shell script, incase any one of the scripts fails, it should get exit and after trouble shooting if we re-execute it, it should start from the failed script (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anniesurolyn
4 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)