Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Asynchronous communication between master and slave threads Post 302807463 by tamil.pamaran on Tuesday 14th of May 2013 05:47:42 PM
Old 05-14-2013
Asynchronous communication between master and slave threads

I am writing a process that has a master thread and a set of slave threads. Master thread is supposed to get jobs dynamically and assign to slave thread which is free. Master also get results back from slaves once a job is done. The number of slaves should be adjustable dynamically based on job load.

The interesting thing is that when job is in progress, master may decide to stop a job. I am thinking of some way of communication between one(master) and many(slaves) to assign jobs, stop a job (specific to a salve which does the job), get results from slave.

Will message queues be useful?

Thanks in advance

/Tamil

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

asynchronous control of threads

I am attempting to build a library that is transparent to the client code. A shared resource is used by many threads with their own synchronization code, but every once in a while, ALL threads need to be stopped for some background control thread to update this resource before proceeding. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS master / slave problems

Our NIS master server went down. We have since fixed it and brought it back up. However all of are machines still point to the slave server when looking at it with ypwhich. My question is how do i point the servers back to the master. Frank (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
2 Replies

3. SCO

master and slave in lan network

hello , i setup a lan network , but i don't know how configure master and slave in the lan network please help me:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hossein
2 Replies

4. Web Development

MySQL Master-Slave Configuration: Don't Replicate a Row of a Table?

Anyone have a clue about this? I have checked the MySQL documentation and it does not seem possible to exclude a row of a table from replication between Master and Slave. It seems that replication in MySQL can only be managed at the table level, not at the row level. Does anyone know a work... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
5 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How can I replicate master master and master master MySQL databse replication and HA?

I have an application desigend in PHP and MySQl running on apache web server that I is running on a Amazon EC2 server Centos. I want to implement the master-master and master slave replication and high availability disaster recovery on this application database. For this I have created two... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Palak Sharma
0 Replies

6. AIX

Problem in communication nim client with nim master

Hello, I have an AIX6.1 machine which is a nim client to my nim master which is also AIX6.1 machine. I had some problem to perform an installation on my client using smit nim . i removed /etc/niminfo file in order to do the initialization again but when i run the command niminit -a name=client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
0 Replies

7. Programming

How to wait the slave to be finished first then execute the master--MPI C++?

Hi, How to wait the slave to be finished first then execute the master? Can someone give me the specific function? Or the detailed example. Thanks~ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wanliushao
1 Replies

8. IP Networking

DNS question about initial Master/Slave setup

Hey everyone. I'm creating a DNS master/slave server set up. I have the configurations all done I believe, the master has the required zone file, and the named.conf file has the allow transfer and allow query stuff set. The slave has it's own configs set. My question is that when initially... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
1 Replies
IPROP(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  IPROP(8)

NAME
iprop, ipropd-master, ipropd-slave -- propagate changes to a Heimdal Kerberos master KDC to slave KDCs SYNOPSIS
ipropd-master [-c string | --config-file=string] [-r string | --realm=string] [-k kspec | --keytab=kspec] [-d file | --database=file] [--slave-stats-file=file] [--time-missing=time] [--time-gone=time] [--detach] [--version] [--help] ipropd-slave [-c string | --config-file=string] [-r string | --realm=string] [-k kspec | --keytab=kspec] [--time-lost=time] [--detach] [--version] [--help] master DESCRIPTION
ipropd-master is used to propagate changes to a Heimdal Kerberos database from the master Kerberos server on which it runs to slave Kerberos servers running ipropd-slave. The slaves are specified by the contents of the slaves file in the KDC's database directory, e.g. /var/heimdal/slaves. This has principals one per-line of the form iprop/slave@REALM where slave is the hostname of the slave server in the given REALM, e.g. iprop/kerberos-1.example.com@EXAMPLE.COM On a slave, the argument master specifies the hostname of the master server from which to receive updates. In contrast to hprop(8), which sends the whole database to the slaves regularly, iprop normally sends only the changes as they happen on the master. The master keeps track of all the changes by assigning a version number to every change to the database. The slaves know which was the latest version they saw, and in this way it can be determined if they are in sync or not. A log of all the changes is kept on the mas- ter. When a slave is at an older version than the oldest one in the log, the whole database has to be sent. The changes are propagated over a secure channel (on port 2121 by default). This should normally be defined as ``iprop/tcp'' in /etc/services or another source of the services database. The master and slaves must each have access to a keytab with keys for the iprop service principal on the local host. There is a keep-alive feature logged in the master's slave-stats file (e.g. /var/heimdal/slave-stats). Supported options for ipropd-master: -c string, --config-file=string -r string, --realm=string -k kspec, --keytab=kspec keytab to get authentication from -d file, --database=file Database (default per KDC) --slave-stats-file=file file for slave status information --time-missing=time time before slave is polled for presence (default 2 min) --time-gone=time time of inactivity after which a slave is considered gone (default 5 min) --detach detach from console --version --help Supported options for ipropd-slave: -c string, --config-file=string -r string, --realm=string -k kspec, --keytab=kspec keytab to get authentication from --time-lost=time time before server is considered lost (default 5 min) --detach detach from console --version --help Time arguments for the relevant options above may be specified in forms like 5 min, 300 s, or simply a number of seconds. FILES
slaves, slave-stats in the database directory. SEE ALSO
krb5.conf(5), hprop(8), hpropd(8), iprop-log(8), kdc(8). Heimdal May 24, 2005 Heimdal