Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to shrink root file system (LVM) in Linux Fedora 9? Post 302807159 by maverick_here on Tuesday 14th of May 2013 08:12:07 AM
Old 05-14-2013
RedHat Linux Rescue mode

Shrink requires an unmount of the filesystem and since it is the root filesystem it cannot be done in the way it is done for none root filesystems.

Go to rescue mode using a bootable media ( First CD) and.
Do NOT mount /mnt/sysimage, press skip on this step.

You would be directed to rescue shell, In rescue shell do the following

Code:
a] vgchange -a y VGNAME
b] e2fsck -f /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
c] resize2fs -f /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 Size(in M,G)
d] lvresize -L Size /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Data Recovery from file system overwritten with LVM.

Hey peeps, Here is somethin u might find interestin.... Is it possible to recover data from a partition which used to be an ext3 file sytem with some nice forgotten backups, which now is an lvm partion containg root partition of another OS. :) I couldn't create any mess better than this, can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squid04
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

Increase root partition in LVM

I have a RHEL6 guest running on vmware esx server and the root disk size is 30G and i increased the disk size and create another partition /dev/sda3 but i do not know how to increase the size of the VG and then intrun LV .. can anyone help me on this . fdisk -l /dev/sda Disk /dev/sda:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

5. Fedora

Fedora 17 LVM Issue

Hello, I tried to add more space to my Volume Group in Fedora 17 and the process seems to have borked: LVM did not restart. I booted into partition manager and deleted the new parition but that seems to have compounded the problem. Now when I try and restore the Volume Group I get this message:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Shrink ext4 filesystem and reduce the size of a Logical Volume in Linux

Hello guys, I would like to ask you kindly if you don't know some quick and safe method how to shrink ext4 filesystem and reduce the size of a Logical Volume in Linux, please? Thank you very much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: los_bandidos
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Safe way to shrink lvm vg_*-lv_swap partition and reclaim freed space on Linux?

Hello, # lsblk NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom sda 8:0 0 38.2G 0 disk ├─sda1 8:1 0 500M 0 part /boot └─sda2 8:2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: centosadmin
2 Replies
vxdestroy_lvmroot(1M)													     vxdestroy_lvmroot(1M)

NAME
vxdestroy_lvmroot - remove LVM root disk and associated LVM volume group SYNOPSIS
vxdestroy_lvmroot [-v] [-b] lvm_root_disk DESCRIPTION
The vxdestroy_lvmroot command tears down and removes the LVM volume group associated with the specified physical disk. This is done by removing the volumes in the volume group and then removing the volume group. OPTIONS
-b Invokes the setboot command to change the primary boot disk to the VxVM root disk from which the system was booted (if the pri- mary boot disk is not already set to this disk). The alternate boot device remains unchanged. If the -v option is also speci- fied, the settings of the primary and alternate boot devices are displayed. -v Outputs verbose messages including a timestamp that indicates major operations being performed. ARGUMENTS
lvm_root_disk Specifies the device name of the LVM root disk that is to be destroyed, along with its entire volume group. EXAMPLES
This example shows the vxdestroy_lvmroot command invoked in its simpliest form: /etc/vx/bin/vxdestroy_lvmroot c5t1d0 # /etc/vx/bin/vxdestroy_lvmroot -v -b c3t0d0 Are you sure about destroying c3t0d0 (imported on VG /dev/vg02) ? YES vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: Tearing down /dev/vg02 on device c3t0d0 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: Unmounting and removing any volumes associated with /dev/vg02 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: removing logical volume /dev/vg02/lvol1 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: removing logical volume /dev/vg02/lvol2 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: removing logical volume /dev/vg02/lvol3 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: removing logical volume /dev/vg02/lvol4 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: removing logical volume /dev/vg02/lvol5 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: removing logical volume /dev/vg02/lvol6 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: removing logical volume /dev/vg02/lvol7 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: removing logical volume /dev/vg02/lvol8 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: Removing Volume Group /dev/vg02 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: Removing device files in /dev/vg02 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: Removing LVM Physical Volume c3t0d0 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: Removing LVM Physical Volume c1t1d3 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: Removing LVM Physical Volume c1t1d4 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:02: Removing LVM Physical Volume c1t1d5 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:03: Current setboot values: vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:03: Primary: 0/0/6/0/0.0.0 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:03: Alternate: 0/0/1/0/0.1.0 vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:03: Making disk c0t1d0 (0/0/1/0/0.1.0) the primary boot disk vxdestroy_lvmroot 06:03: Removal of device c3t0d0, volume group /dev/vg02 was successful SEE ALSO
cpio(1), dd(1), fsck(1M), setboot(1M) vxbootsetup(1M) vxcp_lvmroot(1M) vxres_lvmroot(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxdestroy_lvmroot(1M)