Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to shrink root file system (LVM) in Linux Fedora 9? Post 302806977 by ravisingh on Tuesday 14th of May 2013 03:20:26 AM
Old 05-14-2013
How to shrink root file system (LVM) in Linux Fedora 9?

My root file system is of type LVM. i wanna shrink it but unable to do so.
When i give the below command:
Code:
resize2fs /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-VolLog00 10000M

it messages that online shrink can't can't be done as the logical volume is mounted on /. i switched to single user mode by giving command:
Code:
shutdown -i 1 now

There also, it messages the same. it says that online resizing(shrinking) is not available.

i tried by giving a few commands below but my system messaged that command doesn't exist. ( not sure whether these commands are really there or not, just a try)
Code:
ext2online /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-VolLog00 10000M
ext2resize /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-VolLog00 10000M
 /

What i intend to do is: i w'd reduce the LVM and the space avalialble after that , i w'd make one more logical volume in which i w'd install Ubuntu 12.10. i hope i can install this way keeping Fedora as well as windows.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Data Recovery from file system overwritten with LVM.

Hey peeps, Here is somethin u might find interestin.... Is it possible to recover data from a partition which used to be an ext3 file sytem with some nice forgotten backups, which now is an lvm partion containg root partition of another OS. :) I couldn't create any mess better than this, can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squid04
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

Increase root partition in LVM

I have a RHEL6 guest running on vmware esx server and the root disk size is 30G and i increased the disk size and create another partition /dev/sda3 but i do not know how to increase the size of the VG and then intrun LV .. can anyone help me on this . fdisk -l /dev/sda Disk /dev/sda:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

5. Fedora

Fedora 17 LVM Issue

Hello, I tried to add more space to my Volume Group in Fedora 17 and the process seems to have borked: LVM did not restart. I booted into partition manager and deleted the new parition but that seems to have compounded the problem. Now when I try and restore the Volume Group I get this message:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Shrink ext4 filesystem and reduce the size of a Logical Volume in Linux

Hello guys, I would like to ask you kindly if you don't know some quick and safe method how to shrink ext4 filesystem and reduce the size of a Logical Volume in Linux, please? Thank you very much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: los_bandidos
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Safe way to shrink lvm vg_*-lv_swap partition and reclaim freed space on Linux?

Hello, # lsblk NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom sda 8:0 0 38.2G 0 disk ├─sda1 8:1 0 500M 0 part /boot └─sda2 8:2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: centosadmin
2 Replies
lvremove(1M)															      lvremove(1M)

NAME
lvremove - remove one or more logical volumes from LVM volume group SYNOPSIS
autobackup] lv_path ... Remarks If the logical volume input arguments belong to a combination of volume groups version 1.0 and 2.0 or higher, the arguments may not be pro- cessed in the order they are listed on the command line. DESCRIPTION
The command removes each logical volume specified by lv_path .... Logical volumes must be closed before they can be removed. For example, if the logical volume contains a file system, the file system before removing it. Options and Arguments recognizes the following options and arguments: lv_path The block device path name of a logical volume. Set automatic backup for this invocation of this command. autobackup can have one of the following values: Automatically back up configuration changes made to the logical volume. This is the default. After this command executes, the command (see vgcfgbackup(1M)) is executed for the volume group to which the logical volume belongs. Do not back up configuration changes this time. Specify that no user confirmation is required. Shared Volume Group Considerations For volume group version 1.0 and 2.0, cannot be used if the volume group is activated in shared mode. For volume groups version 2.1 (or higher), can be performed when activated in either shared, exclusive, or standalone mode. Note that the daemon must be running on all the nodes sharing a volume group activated in shared mode. See lvmpud(1M). When is issued, it removes the logical volume device special files from all the nodes sharing the volume group. When a node wants to share the volume group, the user must first execute a if logical volumes were removed at the time the volume group was not activated on that node. LVM shared mode is currently only available in Serviceguard clusters. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified or is null, it defaults to "C" (see lang(5)). If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, all internationalization variables default to "C" (see environ(5)). EXAMPLES
Remove a logical volume without requiring user confirmation: WARNINGS
This command destroys all data in the specified logical volumes. SEE ALSO
lvchange(1M), lvmpud(1M), umount(1M). lvremove(1M)