Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to shrink root file system (LVM) in Linux Fedora 9? Post 302806977 by ravisingh on Tuesday 14th of May 2013 03:20:26 AM
Old 05-14-2013
How to shrink root file system (LVM) in Linux Fedora 9?

My root file system is of type LVM. i wanna shrink it but unable to do so.
When i give the below command:
Code:
resize2fs /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-VolLog00 10000M

it messages that online shrink can't can't be done as the logical volume is mounted on /. i switched to single user mode by giving command:
Code:
shutdown -i 1 now

There also, it messages the same. it says that online resizing(shrinking) is not available.

i tried by giving a few commands below but my system messaged that command doesn't exist. ( not sure whether these commands are really there or not, just a try)
Code:
ext2online /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-VolLog00 10000M
ext2resize /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-VolLog00 10000M
 /

What i intend to do is: i w'd reduce the LVM and the space avalialble after that , i w'd make one more logical volume in which i w'd install Ubuntu 12.10. i hope i can install this way keeping Fedora as well as windows.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Data Recovery from file system overwritten with LVM.

Hey peeps, Here is somethin u might find interestin.... Is it possible to recover data from a partition which used to be an ext3 file sytem with some nice forgotten backups, which now is an lvm partion containg root partition of another OS. :) I couldn't create any mess better than this, can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squid04
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

Increase root partition in LVM

I have a RHEL6 guest running on vmware esx server and the root disk size is 30G and i increased the disk size and create another partition /dev/sda3 but i do not know how to increase the size of the VG and then intrun LV .. can anyone help me on this . fdisk -l /dev/sda Disk /dev/sda:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

5. Fedora

Fedora 17 LVM Issue

Hello, I tried to add more space to my Volume Group in Fedora 17 and the process seems to have borked: LVM did not restart. I booted into partition manager and deleted the new parition but that seems to have compounded the problem. Now when I try and restore the Volume Group I get this message:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Shrink ext4 filesystem and reduce the size of a Logical Volume in Linux

Hello guys, I would like to ask you kindly if you don't know some quick and safe method how to shrink ext4 filesystem and reduce the size of a Logical Volume in Linux, please? Thank you very much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: los_bandidos
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Safe way to shrink lvm vg_*-lv_swap partition and reclaim freed space on Linux?

Hello, # lsblk NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom sda 8:0 0 38.2G 0 disk ├─sda1 8:1 0 500M 0 part /boot └─sda2 8:2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: centosadmin
2 Replies
PVCK(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   PVCK(8)

NAME
pvck - check physical volume metadata SYNOPSIS
pvck [-d|--debug] [-h|--help] [-v|--verbose] [--labelsector] PhysicalVolume [PhysicalVolume...] DESCRIPTION
pvck checks physical volume LVM metadata for consistency. OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. --labelsector sector By default, 4 sectors of PhysicalVolume are scanned for an LVM label, starting at sector 0. This parameter allows you to specify a different starting sector for the scan and is useful for recovery situations. For example, suppose the partition table is corrupted or lost on /dev/sda, but you suspect there was an LVM partition at approximately 100 MB. This area of the disk may be scanned by using the --labelsector parameter with a value of 204800 (100 * 1024 * 1024 / 512 = 204800): pvck --labelsector 204800 /dev/sda Note that a script can be used with --labelsector to automate the process of finding LVM labels. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), pvcreate(8), pvscan(8) vgck(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) PVCK(8)