Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need your help in understanding this Post 302806359 by vidyadhar85 on Monday 13th of May 2013 02:52:06 AM
Old 05-13-2013
This is called Shell's parameter expansion.. refer shell man page for more information or below link

Shell Command Language
This User Gave Thanks to vidyadhar85 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help understanding mv

I just started shell coding and I'm a bit confused on how 'mv' works can someone explain to me how it works and if i did this correctly. Thanks. echo "Enter Name of the first file:" read file1 #echo $file1 if ; then echo "Sorry, file does not exist." exit 1 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: taiL
16 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for understanding of script

# sub: find block (in cols), return line-numbers (begin-end) or 0 if notfound sub findb{ my ($exp1,$col1,$exp2,$col2)= @_; # $exp = expression to find, $col - column to search in my $cnt=0; my ($val1,$val2); my ($beg,$end); for($cnt=1;$cnt<=65536;$cnt++){ $val1 =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suvenduperl
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding {%/*}/

Hi Gurus: I am trying to understand the following line of code.I did enough of googling to understand but no luck.Please help me understand the follow chunk of code: X=$0 MOD=${X%/*}/env.ksh X is the current script from which I am trying to execute. Say if X=test.ksh $MOD is echoing :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vemana
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Understanding 'du' command

Hi I have a questions related 2 commands : 'du' and 'ls'. Why is the difference between output of 'du' and 'ls' cmd's ? Command 'du' : ------------------ jakubn@server1 /home/jakubn $ du -s * 4 engine.ksh 1331 scripts 'du -s *' ---> shows block count size on disk (512 Bytes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding <<EOF

Hi all I stuck with a problem. I want to understand the execution of the below code. Can any one please help me `sqlplus username/passwd@DB << EOF set serveroutput on declare begin sql_query; end; / commit / quit EOF` My ques is why do we use EOF and how does it help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding a regex

Hi, Please help me to understand the bold segments in the below regex. Both are of same type whose meaning I am looking for. find . \( -iregex './\{6,10\}./src' \) -type d -maxdepth 2 Output: ./20111210.0/src In continuation to above: sed -e 's|./\(*.\{1,3\}\).*|\1|g' Output: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help understanding the script

Hi Guys, I am new to scripting , I am trying to rebuild a script based on an old script. Can someone help me figure out what the script is doing? This is only a part of the script. I am looking to interpret these two points in the scripts:- 1) test=`echo $?` while I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajsan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with understanding of alias

Hi, I saw the following explanation about alias in bash from gnu website, but I didn't get the meaning: Bash always reads at least one complete line of input before executing any of the commands on that line. Aliases are expanded when a command is read, not when it is executed. Therefore, an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roy987
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding lseek

I tried to use lseek system call to determine the number of bytes in a file. To do so, I used open system call with O_APPEND flag to open a file. As lseek returns the current offset so I called lseek for opened file with offset as zero and whence as SEEK_CUR. So I guess it must return the number of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak Raj
3 Replies
wstring(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					       wstring(3C)

NAME
wstring, wscasecmp, wsncasecmp, wsdup, wscol - Process Code string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <widec.h> int wscasecmp(const wchar_t *s1, const wchar_t *s2); int wsncasecmp(const wchar_t *s1, const wchar_t *s2, int n); wchar_t *wsdup(const wchar_t *s); int wscol(const wchar_t *s); DESCRIPTION
These functions operate on Process Code strings terminated by wchar_t null characters. During appending or copying, these routines do not check for an overflow condition of the receiving string. In the following, s, s1, and s2 point to Process Code strings terminated by a wchar_t null. wscasecmp(), wsncasecmp() The wscasecmp() function compares its arguments, ignoring case, and returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0, depending upon whether s1 is lexicographically greater than, equal to, or less than s2. It makes the same comparison but compares at most n Process Code characters. The four Extended Unix Code (EUC) codesets are ordered from lowest to highest as 0, 2, 3, 1 when characters from different codesets are compared. wsdup() The wsdup() function returns a pointer to a new Process Code string, which is a duplicate of the string pointed to by s. The space for the new string is obtained using malloc(3C). If the new string cannot be created, a null pointer is returned. wscol() The wscol() function returns the screen display width (in columns) of the Process Code string s. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------------------------------------+ |ATTRIBUTE TYPE ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |MT-Level MT-Safe | +-----------------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
malloc(3C), string(3C), wcstring(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 29 Dec 1996 wstring(3C)