Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copy content of multiple sh's into one Post 302805951 by Don Cragun on Saturday 11th of May 2013 09:23:48 PM
Old 05-11-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasc
The problem is that they are put in like this:

Code:
SH1
SH2 SH3
SH4 SH5 SH6...

Newlines are missing between several of them, in turn will stop my commands to work.

The commands are simple:
"mv XXXXX YYYYY" style. when the commands are lined up beside each other that will not work like it should.

Correct Form:
Code:
SH1
SH2
SH3
SH4...

@zozoo: That code you posted will actually ADD /n into my final script file... resulting in that not working.
Hi pasc,
In your first post in this thread, you said:
Quote:
they all contain one line of text: (this is just an example, the content itself looks different).
but that was a lie if you're getting the output:
Code:
SH1
SH2 SH3
SH4 SH5 SH6...

To get that output the files that contained SH2, SH4, and SH5 did not contain a line of text. By definition, a line contains a terminating newline character which is not present in those three files. Assuming that each of your input files contains exactly one line or exactly one partial line (missing a newline), try the following:
First, save the following in a file named cat1line
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
if [ $# -lt 2 ]
then    printf "Usage: %s output_file input_file...\n" "${0##*/}" >&2
        exit 1
fi
of="$1"
shift
> "$of"
while [ $# -gt 0 ]
do      (cat $1;echo)| {
                IFS="" read -r line
                printf "%s\n" "$line" >> "$of"
        }
        shift
done

Second, make it executable:
Code:
chmod +x cat1line

Third, run it:
Code:
./cat1line output_pathname *.sh

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get multiple line content between two chars

Hello - I have a file that has the something like the following : REM CREATE TABLE lots of text REM table specifc creation text ; REM ALTER TABLE lots of text REM text specific to the the alter command REM could be more lines of text; What I need is to get all the lines for the ALTER... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Feliz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting Multiple Files With the Same Content

My website has been hacked and i need to remove a lot of unique files with same content. The files have very similar code: eval(base64_decodeHow do i find multiple/all the files with the above code and remove them? Thanks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boris_yo
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy content of file to another files from certain position

Hello Guys I have a directory of xml files (almost 500 ) Now in each xml file 3 new attributes will be added which are in a different single file Is there any way I can copy the whole content of single file at 6th line of all the files in the directory . Thanks a lot!!! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy mail content in a file in Unix

Hi Guys I want to write a script which search mail with subject line and after that I want the mail content in a file please help guys. Thanks Atul Singh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: atul9806
3 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

copy content of file to another

I have a file called part1.pdb...contents are: ATOM 1 N SER 1 -10.295 -8.909 10.913 1.00 0.00 ATOM 2 H1 SER 1 -10.230 -8.214 10.183 1.00 0.00 ATOM 3 H2 SER 1 -9.558 -8.745 11.584 1.00 0.00 ATOM 4 H3 SER 1 -11.255 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanikasharma
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace multiple file content?

Hi Gurus, I need replace multiple files content. the file name pattern likes currentfile_code_* the content pattern in the file like text=value I need replace the content as text=abcde Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash selective copy folders and content to another location

I'm looking for a bash scrypt to copy some folders and some of the content to another location. I'm a teacher and very noobish with programming language anyway what I'm looking for , I have this director structure Main director "Students" with subfolders "john";"daisy";"work" etc .. and some of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brickleul
2 Replies