Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Uncompressing .zip file specific directory Fedora 14 Post 302805825 by ajayram on Saturday 11th of May 2013 12:18:38 PM
Old 05-11-2013
Uncompressing .zip file specific directory Fedora 14

Hello,

I have Fedora 14 installed on my machine I have a .zip file ( some latex package) which I want to unzip to some location in the Latex paths /usr/share.../texmf/..

so I went to super user mode, created the directory for this package over there,

Code:
[root@username latex] mkdir logo

and tried unzipping the .zip file to that directory , but it gives me this warning

Code:
[root@username latex]# gunzip /home/username/Downloads/logo.zip logo/
gzip: /home/username/Downloads/logo.zip: unknown suffix -- ignored
gzip: logo/ is a directory -- ignored

Then I checked up the options and gave -S .zip also but it still gives this error :

Code:
[root@username latex]# gunzip -S .zip /home/username/Downloads/logo.zip gzip: /home/username/Downloads/logo.zip has more than one entry -- unchanged

Then I moved to the destination directory, and tried this :
Code:
[root@username logo]# gunzip -S .zip /home/username/Downloads/logo.zip gzip:

Now it gives some junk output. Could someone help me out ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is extracting specific files from a zip file possible?

If a zip file contains several zip files, but if the file names of the files needed are known, is there a variation of the unzip command that will allow those few (individual) files to be extracted? --- Example: Zip file name: zip.zip unzip -l zip.zip will display file01, file02, file03, etc.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read specific file from a zip archive without extracting

Hi All, I would like to extract specific file from a zip archive. I have a zip archive "sample.zip". sample.zip contains few text files and images... text1.txt, text2.txt, pic.jpg etc... I need to read specific file "text2.txt" from "sample.zip" WITHOUT EXTRACTING the zip file. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridharg
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip file with specific name

Hi, How could compress a file with a specific name. For example if I put the following: gzip -f file.dat I compressed it with the same file name to compress, "file.dat.gz". How could compress it with the name I want for example test.gz. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pepeli30
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specific file list to be zip

Hi, I need a specific list of files to be zip automatically. based on the criteria Criteria: 1. It should not be the current file and not less than 10 files e.g in a folder contails 100 files jan 50 -> contains ->45 zip files e.g. XXX.gz 5 normal log files e.g XXX.log ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagkoth
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

allow user to use sudo cp on a specific directory and only a specific file

Is there a way to allow a user to use sudo cp on a specific directory and only a specific file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all the files under a specific directory and zip them into a single file.

Hi, Is there a way to find all the files from a specific location and then zip them into a single file, even if they are in multiple directories? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file and zip without including directory path

Does anyone know of a way to zip the resulting file from a find command? My approach below finds the file and zips the entire directory path, which is not what I need. After scanning the web, it seems to be much easier to perform gzip, but unfortunately the approach must use zip. find `$DIR`... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koeji
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move latest zip file to another directory

Hi folks, In my application there is a job running which create a .dat file along with it zip file also at unix box location /opt/app/cvf/temp1 so in temp1 directory I have one .dat file and its zip file also. Now since this job runs every day so if a job runs today there will be two files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zip a file without directory

Hi I was trying to zip some file in a directory using the below command. find /dir1/dir2/ -name "asdf*.txt" -print | zip -m /dir1/dir2/dir3/asd_Date.zip -@ Its getting zipped.But when I am trying to unzip, Its getting unzipped with full directory structure. Is there any command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to zip csv files having specific pattern in a directory using UNIX shell script?

I have files in a Linux directory . Some of the file is listed below -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:17 zzz_123_00000_A_1.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:18 zzz_121_00000_A_2.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:18 zzz_124_00000_A_3.csv drwxrwxr-x. 2 roots roots 6 Dec 23... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balraj
4 Replies
zipnote(1)						      General Commands Manual							zipnote(1)

NAME
zipsplit - split a zipfile into smaller zipfiles SYNOPSIS
zipsplit [-t] [-i] [-p] [-s] [-n size] [-r room] [-b path] [-h] [-q] [-v] [-L] zipfile ARGUMENTS
zipfile Zipfile to split. OPTIONS
-t Report how many files it will take, but don't make them. -i Make index (zipsplit.idx) and count its size against first zip file. -n size Make zip files no larger than "size" (default = 36000). -r room Leave room for "room" bytes on the first disk (default = 0). -b path Use path for the output zip files. -p Pause between output zip files. -s Do a sequential split even if it takes more zip files. -h Show a short help. -q Suppress some informational messages. -v Show version information. -L Show software license. DESCRIPTION
zipsplit reads a zipfile and splits it into smaller zipfiles. EXAMPLES
To be filled in. BUGS
Does not yet support large (> 2 GB) or split archives. SEE ALSO
zip(1), unzip(1) AUTHOR
Info-ZIP v3.0 of 8 May 2008 zipnote(1)