Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions sed Multiple Pattern search and delete the line Post 302805709 by Scott on Friday 10th of May 2013 05:21:23 PM
Old 05-10-2013
"No idea" doesn't really cut it. You must have some idea, else you clearly haven't been paying attention!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multile Pattern Search in a same line and delete

HI Gurus, I need to delete a line from a syslog file, if it matches three conditions. Say for ex., if the device name is device.name.com and if it contains the syslog message PAGP-5-PORTFROMSTP in between the time period 00:00:00 to 04:00:00, then the particular line has to be deleted from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasree76
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to find pattern and delete line before and after

I have the following file: line1 line2 MATCH line3 line4 I need to find the pattern, "MATCH" and delete the line before and after MATCH. So the result should be line1 MATCH lline4 I have to use sed because it is the only utility that is common across my environments. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: craftereric
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk delete/remove rest of line on multiple search pattern

Need to remove rest of line after the equals sign on search pattern from the searchfile. Can anybody help. Couldn't find any similar example in the forum: infile: 64_1535: Delm. = 86 var, aaga 64_1535: Fran. = 57 ex. ccc 64_1639: Feb. = 26 (link). def 64_1817: mar. = 3/4. drz ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed search pattern and delete lines

Hello, i have a question. My problem is that i have a file like: TEST JOHN ADAM MICHAEL SEBASTIAN ANDY i want find for MICHAEL and want delete lines like this: TEST (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eightball
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use sed to delete remainder of line after pattern

Greetings, I need some assistance here as I cannot get a sed line to work properly for me. I have the following list: Camp.S01E04.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION Royal.Pains.S05E07.720p.HDTV.x264-IMMERSE Whose.Line.is.it.Anyway.US.S09E05.720p.HDTV.x264-BAJSKORV What I would like to accomplish is to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: choard
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple pattern find and delete line

I have a file # cat /tmp/user_find.txt /home/user/bad_link1 /home/user/www /home/user/mail /home/user/access_logs /home/user/bad_link2 I need to delete lines where there are patterns /home/user/www, /home/user/mail and /home/user/access_logs. I used below method, but its throwing error... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed. Delete line before and after pattern.

Hi. In need to delete line before and after pattern in file. I came to following commands. Delete line before sed -ni '/pattern/{x;d;};1h;1!{x;p;};${x;p;}' /etc/testfile Delete line after sed -i '/pattern/{N;s/\n.*//;}' /etc/testfile Is it possible to merge it in single command? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete blank line/s before and after a search pattern?

Hi, Test file x.txt below. This file is generated by a program that I unfortunately do not have control on how it gets presented/generated. create PACKAGE "XXX_INTERFACE_DEFECT_RPT_TEST" is TYPE refCursor IS REF CURSOR; Function queryRecords ( p_status varchar2, ... ... ... )... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete multiple occurrences of the same pattern on a line but the first

The lines that I am trying to format look like Device ID: j01-01, IP address: 10.10.10.36, IP address: 10.10.10.35, IP address: 10.10.102.201, Platform: 8040, Capabilities: Host , Interface: GigabitEthernet9/45, Port ID (outgoing port): e0k,Here is what I have so far but it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dis0wned
4 Replies
PHILOSOPHY(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     PHILOSOPHY(1)

NAME
PDL::Philosophy -- what's behind PDL? DESCRIPTION
This is an attempt to summarize some of the common spirit between pdl developers in order to answer the question "Why PDL"? If you are a PDL developer and I haven't caught your favorite ideas about PDL, please let me know! An often-asked question is: Why not settle for some of the existing systems like Matlab or IDL or GnuPlot or whatever? Major ideas The first tenet of our philosophy is the "free software" idea: software being free has several advantages (less bugs because more people see the code, you can have the source and port it to your own working environment with you, ... and of course, that you don't need to pay anything). The second idea is a pet peeve of many: many languages like matlab are pretty well suited for their specific tasks but for a different application, you need to change to an entirely different tool and regear yourself mentally. Not to speak about doing an application that does two things at once... Because we use Perl, we have the power and ease of perl syntax, regular expressions, hash tables etc at our fingertips at all times. By extending an existing language, we start from a much healthier base than languages like matlab which have grown into existence from a very small functionality at first and expanded little by little, making things look badly planned. We stand by the Perl sayings: "simple things should be simple but complicated things should be possible" and "There is more than one way to do it" (TIMTOWTDI). The third idea is interoperability: we want to be able to use PDL to drive as many tools as possible, we can connect to OpenGL or Mesa for graphics or whatever. There isn't anything out there that's really satisfactory as a tool and can do everything we want easily. And be portable. The fourth idea is related to PDL::PP and is Tuomas's personal favorite: code should only specify as little as possible redundant info. If you find yourself writing very similar-looking code much of the time, all that code could probably be generated by a simple perl script. The PDL C preprocessor takes this to an extreme. Minor goals and purposes We want speed. Optimally, it should ultimately (e.g. with the Perl compiler) be possible to compile PDL::PP subs to C and obtain the top vectorized speeds on supercomputers. Also, we want to be able to calculate things at near top speed from inside perl, by using dataflow to avoid memory allocation and deallocation (the overhead should ultimately be only a little over one indirect function call plus couple of ifs per function in the pipe). We want handy syntax. Want to do something and cannot do it easily? Tell us about it... We want lots of goodies. A good mathematical library etc. AUTHOR
Copyright(C) 1997 Tuomas J. Lukka (lukka@fas.harvard.edu). Redistribution in the same form is allowed but reprinting requires a permission from the author. perl v5.12.1 2009-10-17 PHILOSOPHY(1)