Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Filling tab space with dots or dashes Post 302805559 by TAPE on Friday 10th of May 2013 10:46:28 AM
Old 05-10-2013
Filling tab space with dots or dashes

Hey Guys & Gals !

My script is creating a numbered list and I would like to have the numers and
results spaced apart by a tab.

Now to make sure it is clear which number corresonds with which outcome, I would like to have the tab space filled with dashes.

Anyone able to tell me if this is possible ?

Current;
Code:

for i in {1..50} ; do echo -en "$i \t" && script blah blah
1     output
2     output
3     output
4     output

Desired;
Code:
for i in {1..50} ; do echo -en "$i \t" && script blah blah
1----output
2----output
3----output
4----output

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

replace tab with space

How do I replace a tab with a space in scripts using sed/awk ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avnerht
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo a <tab> space?

I've tried this: echo "${bold}User${norm} : u"\t"${bold}All Users ${norm} : a\t" and i got this output: Specific User : u\tAll User: a\t (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in tab space !

i have a commad that display the total each directory size in KB.Below the commad and o/p: ls -ltr | grep ^d | awk '{print $9}' | xargs du -sk output: what i want is the proper tab space b/w value and dir.? how to get that. thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

diff command filling /var filesystem space

Hi, I am using diff command to check difference between two files.Both files are very big and when i execute this command /var temp space is filled up almost 99%. Can any one please tell me is there any way i can specify directory name which has more space so that diff can use that dir for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to find space and tab.

Wants to print line when there exist leading or trailing space or tab in fields 2,3 and 5 The below code prints all lines in file even if they dont have leading and trailing space or tab. nawk -F"|" '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) {if ($i ~ "^*" || $i ~ "*$")}}1' file file Ouput required: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delimiter: Tab or Space?

Hello, Is there a direct command to check if the delimiter in your file is a tab or a space? And how can they be converted from one to another. Thanks, G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filling a tab-separated file with known missing entries in columns

Hello all, I have a file which is tab separated like that: PHE_205_A TIP_127_W ARG_150_B MET_1150_A TIP_12_W VAL_11_B GLU_60_A TIP_130_W ARG_143_B LEU_1033_A TIP_203_W ARG_14_B SER_1092_A TIP_203_W THR_1090_A TIP_203_W SER_1092_A TIP_25_W ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to keep tab from being converted to space

Hi, I want to read lines from a file, and I'm using two methods 1 use while read line do done<filename 2 use line=`sed -n '3p' filename` however, in both of them, I notice that the tab between fields are automatically converted to space because I want to use awk over the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: esolvepolito
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing only the first space to a tab in a space delimited text file

Hi, I have a space delimited text file but I only want to change the first space to a tab and keep the rest of the spaces intact. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace space by tAB

My file looks like 3 33 210.01.10.0 2.1 1211 560 26 45 1298 98763451112 15412323499 INPUT OK 3 233 40.01.10.0 2.1 1451 780 54 99 1876 78787878784 15423210199 CANCEL OK Aim is to replace the spaces in each line by tab Used: sed -e 's/ */\t/g' But I get output like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sa@@
3 Replies
ECHO(1) 								FSF								   ECHO(1)

NAME
echo - display a line of text SYNOPSIS
echo [OPTION]... [STRING]... DESCRIPTION
NOTE: your shell may have its own version of echo which will supercede the version described here. Please refer to your shell's documenta- tion for details about the options it supports. Echo the STRING(s) to standard output. -n do not output the trailing newline -e enable interpretation of the backslash-escaped characters listed below -E disable interpretation of those sequences in STRINGs --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Without -E, the following sequences are recognized and interpolated: NNN the character whose ASCII code is NNN (octal) \ backslash a alert (BEL)  backspace c suppress trailing newline f form feed new line carriage return horizontal tab v vertical tab AUTHOR
Written by FIXME unknown. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for echo is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and echo programs are properly installed at your site, the command info echo should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 4.5.3 February 2003 ECHO(1)