Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help on case to call recursively in UNIX Shell Script Post 302805501 by karthikram on Friday 10th of May 2013 08:25:20 AM
Old 05-10-2013
Help on case to call recursively in UNIX Shell Script

Hi Vidyadhar,

Thanks for the interest shown to my query, have searched Forum and got this below script, previously i was trying to implement a case in a function try to call it again but function return once input is accomplished, I am currently using Linux ksh and will try this and let you know if there is any issue.

Code:
while true
do
    echo "Would you like to:"
    echo "1) See your name"
    echo "2) See your current directory"
    echo "3) See your home directory"
    echo "4) Quit"
    echo -n ">> "
    read case

case "$case" in
        1) echo "username";;
        2) echo "$PWD";;
        3) echo "$HOME";;
        4) break;;
    esac
done

echo "Quit"

Thanks,
Regards,
karthikram

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Call a UNIX shell with parameters from C

Hello...I hava quite a problem, couldn't find a solution anywhere :(. I have a C program, and from that C program I have to call a shell script. This is not difficult, I can do it using the "system" command from C. But the ugly part is how can I send as parameters some variables? For example...i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dustman
1 Replies

3. Programming

How to call the C Programme in UNIX shell scripting...?

Hi All, How to call the C programme in UNIX shell scripting? please send me some sample script for the above scenario. Regards, MPS:b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psiva_arul
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script - find, recursively, all files that are duplicated

Hi. I have a problem that i can't seem to resolve. I need to create a script that list all the files, that are found recursively, with the same name. For example if a file exists in more than one directory with the same name it list all the files that he founds with all the info. Could someone... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KitFisto
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find recursively all shell script in the /xyz directory

Pls. advise how to find or used grep recursively all shell script files. Some files doesnt have a .sh or .ksh extension name. find / -name "*" |xargs grep bin |grep sh ?? TIA (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: budz26
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to copy particular file from directories recursively

I have directory path in which there are several sub directories. In all these sub dir there will be one env.cnf file. I want to copy this env.cnf file from each sub dir's and place them in destination path by creating same filename as sub dir_env.cnf. After copying env.cnf files from source... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call sql script from UNIX shell script

I know this question is out there in many forums, but I tried all the combinations in vain. I'm basically trying to call a sql script from a shell script. Below is my sql script (plsql.sql) DELCARE v_empno NUMBER := '&empno'; BEGIN select ename,sal from emp where empno = v_empno;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FName_LName
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case statement in UNIX shell script

have written the below code to check whether the string received from user is a file name or dir using case statement, but its going into default case*). #!/bin/sh #Get a string from user and check whether its a existing filename or not rm str2 rm str3 echo "enter a file \c" read fil... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohan0509
8 Replies

9. Programming

Writing a UNIX shell script to call a C function and redirecting data to a .txt file

Hi, I am complete new to C programming and shell scripting. I just wrote a simple C code to calculate integral using trapezoid rule. I am prompting user to pass me No. of equally spaced points , N , upper and lower limit. My code looks as follows so far: #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjhjh
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies
PIRL(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						  PIRL(1p)

NAME
pirl - A read-eval-print loop in Perl (see Shell::Perl) SYNOPSIS
pirl pirl --noornaments pirl --version pirl -v EXAMPLE SESSION
$ pirl Welcome to the Perl shell. Type ':help' for more information pirl @> 1+1 2 pirl @> use YAML qw(Load Dump); () pirl @> $data = Load("--- { a: 1, b: [ 1, 2, 3] } "); { a => 1, b => [1, 2, 3] } pirl @> $var = 'a 1 2 3'; $var =~ /(w+) (d+) (d+)/ ("a", 1, 2) pirl @> :q DESCRIPTION
This script is the command-line interface to "Shell::Perl" which does it all. By now, read the fine details at "Shell::Perl" documentation. OPTIONS
--ornaments - turn on terminal ornaments (default) --noornaments - turn off terminal organments --version, -v - prints version info and exits with 0 SEE ALSO
Shell::Perl BUGS
Please report bugs via CPAN RT <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=Shell-Perl>. AUTHOR
Adriano R. Ferreira, <ferreira@cpan.org> Caio Marcelo, <cmarcelo@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2007aXX2011 by Adriano R. Ferreira This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2011-03-10 PIRL(1p)