Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users UID of user accounts on *nix systems Post 302805023 by verdepollo on Thursday 9th of May 2013 02:31:28 PM
Old 05-09-2013
In Linux, the range is between UID_MIN and UID_MAX as defined in /etc/login.defs.

In AIX you have /etc/security/.ids which is not as user-friendly as login.defs but you can edit it if you really need to; The second field represents the next available UID for standard accounts.

In Solaris there isn't tunable for this, as far as I know (besides limits.h). UIDs are sequentially chosen using the highest UID in /etc/passwd plus 1.

There isn't any standard for this, unfortunately.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

User Accounts

I have found a script to create user accounts. But there are a few lines i dont understand. Can someone help me with this? Here's the code: ###################################### while ; do ACCT=${USER_ACCT}${START} START=`expr $START + 1` START=`echo ${START} | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sensor
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with user accounts

I have a root access to a UNIX system. I want to create another account with administrative permissions (create users, delete them, manage print and system configuration), how do I do that? I have a Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9) installed. Please help. :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neked
3 Replies

3. AIX

User ID (UID) in AIX

what is the upper limit for UID is AIX 5.3 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learner
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Accounts

Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me how to display a list of all existing user accounts on the system, not neccesarily looged in. Thanks in advance Stephen (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sroberts82
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt over Uid and User name.

Hi, I know the uid and I wan to know the user name the uid belongs to. How can I get it. Suppose My user name is ssnayak and coresponding uid is 1110 Similarly I know one uid 1212 and how can I come to know the user name for this uid. Thanks & Regards, Siba (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between : Locked User Account & Disabled User Accounts in Linux ?

Thanks AVKlinux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the username if I know only the user's UID?

Hi, I know the user's UID, but I need to know the user's username which has this UID. How can I do it?? Any ideas? Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rodrigoroma
7 Replies

9. Linux

nix User Access Restrictions to Network, USB ports, PCMCIA, CDROM

How to create a user account on a Linux desktop machine with restrictions on connecting to the LAN, WAN, PCMCIA ports, Firewire, CDROM and generally any user controllable output options? I have the task to set up a machine for users working with sensitive data that should not be leaving the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: netfreighter
1 Replies
LASTLOG(8)						    System Management Commands							LASTLOG(8)

NAME
lastlog - reports the most recent login of all users or of a given user SYNOPSIS
lastlog [options] DESCRIPTION
lastlog formats and prints the contents of the last login log /var/log/lastlog file. The login-name, port, and last login time will be printed. The default (no flags) causes lastlog entries to be printed, sorted by their order in /etc/passwd. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the lastlog command are: -b, --before DAYS Print only lastlog records older than DAYS. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -t, --time DAYS Print the lastlog records more recent than DAYS. -u, --user LOGIN|RANGE Print the lastlog record of the specified user(s). The users can be specified by a login name, a numerical user ID, or a RANGE of users. This RANGE of users can be specified with a min and max values (UID_MIN-UID_MAX), a max value (-UID_MAX), or a min value (UID_MIN-). If the user has never logged in the message ** Never logged in** will be displayed instead of the port and time. Only the entries for the current users of the system will be displayed. Other entries may exist for users that were deleted previously. NOTE
The lastlog file is a database which contains info on the last login of each user. You should not rotate it. It is a sparse file, so its size on the disk is usually much smaller than the one shown by "ls -l" (which can indicate a really big file if you have in passwd users with a high UID). You can display its real size with "ls -s". FILES
/var/log/lastlog Database times of previous user logins. CAVEATS
Large gaps in UID numbers will cause the lastlog program to run longer with no output to the screen (i.e. if in lastlog database there is no entries for users with UID between 170 and 800 lastlog will appear to hang as it processes entries with UIDs 171-799). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 LASTLOG(8)