Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I count how many times a specific word appear in a file (ksh)? Post 302804721 by vidyadhar85 on Thursday 9th of May 2013 05:17:44 AM
Old 05-09-2013
Can you post your input file format? That might simplify the task a bit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with scritp to count an specific word into a log

Hello my friends, I need to count how many words are into a log file, I'm using: cat logfile | grep 'word' | wc -l Cuz the 'word' appears once per line. But my logfile grow faster and at the end ofthe day is really big, so how i can count the 'word' only from (by example) line 4000 of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the occurences of a specific word in a file in bash shell

Hello, I want to count the occurences of a specific word in a .txt file in bash shell. Can somebody help me pleaze?? Thanks!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskart
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a single line to count how many times one character occurs in a word...

I've been looking on the internet, and haven't found anything simple enough to use in my code. All I want to do is count how many times "-" occurs in a string of characters (as a package name). It seems it should be very simple, and shouldn't require more than one line to accomplish. And this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shingoshi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting - write a script that will count the number of times a particular word

hello everyone, I'm trying to learn some scripts but i cant get my head around two of them. 1. how can i write a script that will count the number of times a particular word is used in file? 2. how can i make a script that will take me to a web page from unix? if anyone could help it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a word specific number of times

Hi All, I wanted to know if there is a shell command to print a word n number of times The Input File is : Cat 4 Bat 3 Zall 1 Kite 2 Output File required is : Cat Cat Cat Cat Bat Bat Bat Zall Kite (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_2921
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to count specific word and iterate over number of files.

Hi Experts, I want to know the count of specific word in a file. I have almost 600+ files. So I want to loop thru each file and get the count of the specific word. Please help me on achieving this... Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Count specific word or character per line

Hi, I need help regarding counting specific word or character per line and validate it against a specific number i.e 10. And if number of character equals the specific number then that line will be part of the output. Specific number = 6 Specific word or char = || Sample data:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janzper
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to count number of times each word exist in a file

I'm trying to count the number of times each word in the file exist for example if the file has: today I have a lot to write, but I will not go for it. The main thing is that today I am looking for a way to get each word in this file with a word count after it specifying that this word has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shnkool
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Count amount of times of appearing of character before a word?

Hello Is there a way to calculate how many times a particular symbol appeared in a string before a particular word. Desktop/Myfiles/pet/dog/puppy So, I want to count number of occurence of"/" in this directory before the word dog lets say. Cheers, Bob (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count same word which has come many times in single lines & pars

can i get a simple script for , Count same word which has come many times in single lines & pars Eg file would be == "Thanks heman thanks thanks Thanks heman thanks man" So resullt should be Thanks = 5 heman=2 man = 1 thanks in advance :) Please use code tags for code and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heman96
1 Replies
SIBLINGS(3PVM)							  PVM Version 3.4						    SIBLINGS(3PVM)

NAME
pvm_siblings - return the number and associated task ids of processes that were started together in a single spawn call. SYNOPSIS
C int ntids = pvm_siblings( int **tids ) Fortran call pvmfsiblings( ntids, index, sibling ) PARAMETERS
ntids Returns the number of tids that were spawned together. Value less than 0 indicates an error. tids Pointer to the array of tids that contains the siblings. Indexed from 0 to (ntids - 1) index Integer index of tid to be returned in sibling. If index is set to -1, then sibling is unchanged. Otherwise, must be in the range [0, ntids - 1] sibling When index is in the range [0, ntids -1], this contains the tid of the desired index. DESCRIPTION
The routine pvm_siblings returns the number of tasks and a list of task ids of processes that were spawned together in a single spawn call. The spawning task multicasts the list of successful to the spawned tasks so that each task has an identical copy of the sibling list. pvm_siblings uses local storage to keep the list of tids and does not update this list when sibling tasks exit the virtual machine. The FORTRAN version allows calling programs read a particular index in the internal sibling array. If pvm_siblings is successful, ntids will be > 0. If some error occurs then ntids will be < 0. pvm_siblings is designed to simplify the logic in static spmd-style programs. By giving tasks an identical list of tids and its size, pro- grams may self size and treat the sibling as static map between instances and tasks. The internal list is not updated when sibling tasks exit the virtual machine and should be treated as a snapshot of the parallel program when it was first started. If a task was started by pvm_spawn, then pvm_siblings will return ntids = 1 and ntids = 1 and tids will contain a single entry identical to the task id returned by pvm_mytid() EXAMPLES
C: int *tids; ntids = pvm_siblings(&tids); Fortran: INTEGER TIDS(0:MAXNPROC) CALL PVMFSIBLINGS(NTIDS, -1, IDUM) DO I = 0, NTIDS-1 CALL PVMFSIBLINGS(NTIDS, I, TIDS(I)) ERRORS
pvm_siblings can return the following error codes PvmNoTask No task at that index, or index is invalid. SEE ALSO
pvm_spawn(3PVM), pvm_mytid(3PVM), pvm_parent(3PVM) 26 June, 1997 SIBLINGS(3PVM)