Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Moving line up if line starts with + sign. Post 302804607 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 9th of May 2013 02:26:23 AM
Old 05-09-2013
Thanks for catching that. In BSD awk it happens to work without a semicolon, but there should be one behind the 1:
Code:
awk 'NR>1 && !/^\+/{print RS}1; END{print RS}'  ORS= file

or indeed a {print} action instead of a 1.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 05-09-2013 at 01:14 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving to a specified line number

Hi Is there any command or a trick that can take me to a specifed line number in unix . Suppose i have a file with 2000 lines and i would like to go to line number 1899 and then print out the contents of the line. regards Hrishy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a line when it starts with spaces

Hi , I use read command to get the input text, When i try to get the line starting with spaces or ending with spaces it automatically truncates the spaces and displays the remaining content. Code i tried (UserInput.sh): #!/bin/bash echo -n "Enter some text > " read text echo "You... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrakashChinna
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Typing the @ sign creates new line.

Whenever I type the @ sign like for example when using a proxy ftp server, The system forces the cursor to jump to a new line. I know it has something to do with the terminal settings. How can I get this to stop and more importantly, how can I modify my profile to set this up whenever I login? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricnetman
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to strip '$' sign on the line

echo "dddd$dddd"|sed 's/$//' will return dddd echo "dddd$ddd"|tr -d '$' will return dddd I need to replace it with any other character or just live a blank space instead Thank you! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving items to a new line

Hi, Let's I have the following strings (md5): 07177edf8261d28c6a003e583fcbe38c 0717c0037b3a20fc0f0998e673f228d5 0717d611a5d24374628b98e17fd00977,0717d611a5d24374628b98e17fd00977 07189a18afdae558bb5aadfe602e4a91 0719e97d481c239667f38a3e166bed74 071af3225fe50a1fdbb42c43aac313cc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: talfiq
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving a line to the end of the file

I have a file with different directories in it. I would need to move one line within the file to the end of the list. Also not there could be blank line in the middle of it. Example /vol/fs1 /vol/fs2 /vol/fs3 /vol/fs4 /vol/fs5 /vol/fs6 /vol/fs7 So I would need /vol/fs2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombcan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multiple lines to one line when line starts with and ends with

example: comment Now_TB.table column errac is for error messages 1 - first 2 - second 3 -third ; in this example I need to be able to grab the comment as first word and ; as the last word and it might span a few lines. I need it to be put all in one line without line breaks so I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wambli
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - How to replace right part of equal sign (=) on a line

Hello. Using a bash script , I have a variable name for the file I want to modify FILE_TO_EDIT="/etc/my_config_file"And I have a variable name for the parameter to change PARAMETER="fallback_node" PARAMETER_NEW_VALUE="http://my_server_name.com/new_path" A config file may contain : 1°)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

When I run the script, the cursor starts on the wrong line?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: It's a shell script using a looping logic, trap, tput, if, while. Most of the scripts in this book aren't written... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckleinholz
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get an output of lines in pattern 1st line then 10th line then 11th line then 20th line and so on.

Input file: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sagar Singh
6 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If one of the file names is the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Input fields are normally separated spaces or tabs; output fields by space. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are discarded. The following options are recognized, with POSIX syntax. -a n In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -v n Like -a, omitting output for paired lines. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -1 m -2 m Join on the mth field of file1 or file2. -jn m Archaic equivalent for -n m. -ofields Each output line comprises the designated fields. The comma-separated field designators are either 0, meaning the join field, or have the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. Archaic usage allows separate arguments for field designators. -tc Use character c as the only separator (tab character) on input and output. Every appearance of c in a line is significant. EXAMPLES
sort /etc/passwd | join -t: -1 1 -a 1 -e "" - bdays Add birthdays to the /etc/passwd file, leaving unknown birthdays empty. The layout of /adm/users is given in passwd(5); bdays con- tains sorted lines like tr : ' ' </etc/passwd | sort -k 3 3 >temp join -1 3 -2 3 -o 1.1,2.1 temp temp | awk '$1 < $2' Print all pairs of users with identical userids. SOURCE
/src/cmd/join.c SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b -ky,y; with -t, the sequence is that of sort -tx -ky,y. One of the files must be randomly accessible. JOIN(1)