Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pointer and address
Top Forums Programming Pointer and address Post 302804519 by alister on Wednesday 8th of May 2013 06:19:15 PM
Old 05-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGPickett
Some would argue the heap is only things malloc()'d/new ...
I would consider that to be a weak argument, even though it has historical appeal. Once upon a time, the limits of malloc'd memory coincided with sbrk(0). This is no longer necessarily the case.

Several modern malloc implementations utilize mmap, meaning that the allocated memory is no longer contiguous. It does not make much sense to refer to malloc'd memory as a heap if it is fragmented.

glibc malloc uses sbrk for allocations less than MMAP_THRESHOLD and mmap for allocations greater than or equal to that value (iirc, MMAP_THRESHOLD is usually set at 1 megabyte). FreeBSD and NetBSD mallocs use mmap but can be configured to use sbrk. OpenBSD malloc uses mmap exclusively (in part because memory mismanagement of non-contiguous regions is more likely to trigger a segfault and expose bugs, and has done so in the past).

I have no knowledge of proprietary UNIX mallocs, but I welcome any information on that front.

To me, the heap ends with sbrk(0).

Forgive me if I seem to be quibbling over semantics, because that is not my intention. Nor is it my intention to win an "Internet argument" that is ultimately of little importance. I simply consider this to be an interesting and relevant topic on which many people are misinformed (I am not suggesting that you are one of them).

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

network address and broadcast address?

say I have a IP address which is 10.0.0.12, and subnet mask is 255.255.255.240, what is the network address and what is the broadcast address which host lives on? And could you explain how to get the answer? thanx in advance! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnxi
7 Replies

2. IP Networking

How to Achive IP address through MAC(Ethernet) address

Hi sir, i want to make such programe which takes MAC(Ethernet) address of any host & give me its IP address....... but i'm nt getting that how i can pass the MAC address to Frame........ Please give me an idea for making such program... Thanks & regards Krishna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnacins
3 Replies

3. Programming

A Pointer to non-Virtual Address, and All of my Hard drive

How do I get a pointer to any 32 bit address on my hard drive, in which I then could read that memory or write to that memory address? And, while the subject is on, how do get a 32 bit pointer in RAM also, in which I can do the same? I'm using C and Objective-C with gcc on an iBook G4. A... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xcoder66
9 Replies

4. Programming

address of pointer

Hi i'm new to c programming and i'm trying to change the address of a pointer/variable but i can't seem to get it right, I have this char heap; char *firstFree = heap; char *allocMem( int size ) { void *malloc(size_t sizeofint); /*allocate space for an array with size... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Poison Ivy
19 Replies

5. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - how to list all ip address between 2 ip address

Trying to do a ksh script that needs to list all ip address between ip address a and b .. ie. Ip address A=192.168.1.200 Ip address B=192.168.2.15 So the subnet changes from 1 to 2 but I want to list all possible ip addresses between the 2.. Which would be: 192.168.1.200... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Panic kernal-mode address fault on user address 0x14

:) Firstly Hi all!!, im NEW!! and on here hoping that someone might be able to offer me some help... i have a server that keeps crashing every few days with the error message: PANIC KERNAL-MODE ADDRESS FAULT ON USER ADDRESS 0X14 KERNAL PAGE FAULT FROM (CS:EIP)=(100:EF71B5BD) EAX=EF822000... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twix
10 Replies

8. IP Networking

Tracing a MAC address to IP address: Solaris

Hi there I lost connectivity to one of our remote systems and when I checked the messages log I found the following: Aug 10 23:42:34 host xntpd: time reset (step) 1.681729 s Aug 16 13:20:51 host ip: WARNING: node "mac address" is using our IP address x.x.x.x on aggr1 Aug 16 13:20:51 host... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing pointer address

How can I print the memory address of a pointer using printf (or any other STDOUT functions?). I see in Linux its %p but not in unix, help? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

C program to detect duplicate ip address if any after assigning ip address to ethernet interface

Hi , Could someone let me know how to detect duplicate ip address after assigning ip address to ethernet interface using c program (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
3 Replies
MALLOC_TRIM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						    MALLOC_TRIM(3)

NAME
malloc_trim - release free memory from the top of the heap SYNOPSIS
#include <malloc.h> void malloc_trim(size_t pad); DESCRIPTION
The malloc_trim() function attempts to release free memory at the top of the heap (by calling sbrk(2) with a suitable argument). The pad argument specifies the amount of free space to leave untrimmed at the top of the heap. If this argument is 0, only the minimum amount of memory is maintained at the top of the heap (i.e., one page or less). A nonzero argument can be used to maintain some trailing space at the top of the heap in order to allow future allocations to be made without having to extend the heap with sbrk(2). RETURN VALUE
The malloc_trim() function returns 1 if memory was actually released back to the system, or 0 if it was not possible to release any memory. ERRORS
No errors are defined. CONFORMING TO
This function is a GNU extension. NOTES
This function is automatically called by free(3) in certain circumstances; see the discussion of M_TOP_PAD and M_TRIM_THRESHOLD in mal- lopt(3). This function cannot release free memory located at places other than the top of the heap. NOTES
This function only releases memory in the main arena. SEE ALSO
sbrk(2), malloc(3), mallopt(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-03-29 MALLOC_TRIM(3)