Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh "typeset -i" and Empty Parameters Post 302804471 by DGPickett on Wednesday 8th of May 2013 03:51:21 PM
Old 05-08-2013
Yes, one should avoid reading what one did not write, or read very critically! Smilie

One shell / O/S I wandered onto had ksh set to nounset => reject reading nonexistent variables. None of my scripts worked! I had to turn that off quick in my .profile ! Talk about well know defaults, isn't "${some_name_never_set}" well known to be "" ?

It makes code more maintainable to not rely on defaults unless they are well known. For a boolean, you might use set and unset, and skip the content entirely.

---------- Post updated at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:50 PM ----------

AIX writes their own ksh?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

check input = "empty" and "numeric"

Hi how to check input is "empty" and "numeric" in ksh? e.g: ./myscript.ksh k output show: invalid number input ./myscript.ksh output show: no input ./myscript.ksh 10 output show: input is numeric (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoffry
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

script running with "ksh" dumping core but not with "sh"

Hi, I have small script written in korn shell. When it is called from different script, its dumping core, but no core dump when we run it standalone. And its not dumping core if we run the script using "/bin/sh" instead of "ksh" Can some body please help me how to resolve this issue. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: simhe02
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Purpose of "read" and "$END$" in ksh ?

Hi, Could anyone please shed some light on the following script lines and what is it doing as it was written by an ex-administrator? cat $AMS/version|read a b verno d DBVer=$(/usr/bin/printf "%7s" $verno) I checked that the cat $AMS/version command returns following output: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbadmin100
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
let(1)                                                             User Commands                                                            let(1)

NAME
let - shell built-in function to evaluate one or more arithmetic expressions SYNOPSIS
ksh let arg... DESCRIPTION
ksh Each arg is a separate "arithmetic expression" to be evaluated. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 The value of the last expression is non-zero. 1 The value of the last expression is zero. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), set(1), typeset(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 let(1)