Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Need to execute the script with script name wihtout using ./scriptname in Solaris 10 Post 302804163 by vidyadhar85 on Wednesday 8th of May 2013 06:03:19 AM
Old 05-08-2013
Some use full info for you to take a decision

Quote:
The '.' refers to the current directory. The '/' is either a directory separator or a way to ensure we are referring to a directory and not a file.

By itself, './' and '.' will do the same thing, since the current directory is always a directory. So 'ls .' and 'ls ./' will do the same thing.

However, if you want to refer to the file 'foo' in the current directory, you need the '/' as a directory separator. So you would use './foo'.

The reason you need to put a './' on the beginning to run a program from the current directory is for security. If I could create a program called 'ls' and get you to 'cd' to my directory and type 'ls', I could get you to run a malicious program.

So if you want to run a program from the current directory, most shells by default force you to indicate so specifically. You can override this by added '.' to the list of directories tested for executables (the 'PATH' environment variable) but that's probably not a good idea.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can Unix (Solaris) execute a dos .bat script?

I did a search and found lots of questions/comments about how a dos script could execute Unix but not the other way round. If it's possible, I'd like the link to a post/site that would show me the way. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BCarlson
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

run script without ./scriptname

Hi everyone, I'm very new, I just wrote a script "Hello World" :) LOL How can I execute the script without the ./myscript. I want to just type "myscript" basically from anywhere without the " ./ ". Thanks a bunch, NinjaX (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NinjaXman
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute unix shell script to text file using the script

Hi all, I am beginner in UNIX...I want to use unix shell script to create text.file...I know how to use using by command...can anybody tell me for the script? Thanks i changed the threads title from "tex file" to "text file", because "tex" would probably be misunderstood as reference to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastercar
4 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows remote to Solaris to execute ksh script

Hi all, I'm not sure if it is correct to post here. I am facing problem wanting to create a batch that run from my Windows XP pc to remote to multiple Solaris server to execute the server's ksh script. :wall: Can anyone give me a hints on how to do that? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dos batch script to execute unix shell script

Can anyone help me with a dos batch script to execute a shell script residing in an unix server. I am not able to use ssh. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shri123
2 Replies

6. Programming

CGI Perl script to execute bash script- unable to create folder

Hi I have a bash script which takes parameters sh /tmp/gdg.sh -b BASE-NAME -n 1 -s /source/data -p /dest/data/archive -m ARC gdg.sh will scan the /source/data and will move the contents to /dest/data/archive after passing through some filters. Its working superb from bash I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
0 Replies

7. Solaris

write a script to execute some operations on sun solaris

Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.9 Generic May 2002 SUNFIRE V240 if there is a power failure, automatically: write all operations in a log file (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: doudou2012
0 Replies

8. Linux

How to execute a simple select script using a shell script?

Hi team, I have two select statements and need to run them using SYSDBA user select * from temp_temp_seg_usage; select segment_name, tablespace_name, bytes/ (1024*1024) UsedMb from dba_segments where segment_name='TEMP_TEMP_SEG_USAGE'; Need to run this using a shell script say named... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pamsy78
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch script to execute shell script in UNIX server

Hi team, My requirement is to transfer pdf files from windows machine to unix server and then from that unix server we should sftp to another server. I have completed the first part i.e From windows to using to unix server with the help of psftp.exe code: psftp user@host -pw password <... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhupeshchavan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Should I run scripts like sh /absolute_path/to/scriptname.sh or just /absolute_path/to/scriptname.sh

Shell : Linux Bash OS version : RHEL 6.X, Oracle Linux 6.X Question1. To execute shell scripts, sometimes I see Linux admins placing sh command before shell scripts like below sh /home/appadmin/sync_pending_orders.shBut, I execute shell scripts like below ie. Just the absolute path ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
4 Replies
mcd(1)							      General Commands Manual							    mcd(1)

NAME
mcd - mtools utility to change or report the DOS working directory SYNOPSIS
mcd [msdosdirectory] DESCRIPTION
Without arguments, the mcd command reports the current device and working directory. Otherwise, the mcd command changes the current device and current working directory relative to a DOS file system. Unlike the DOS command CD, the mcd command can be used to change to another device. The environment variable MCWD can be used to locate the file where the device and current working directory information is stored. The default is $HOME/.mcwd. The file is created if it does not exist and a msdosdirectory is specified. DOS pathnames that contain the '/' or '' separator are supported. If you use the '' separator or wildcards, you must enclose file names in quotes to protect them from the shell. The mcd command supports the use of to move back one directory in the tree, however, multiple relative moves such as are not supported and do not affect your current position in the directory tree. NOTES
At logout time, it is advisable to remove old files. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Success. Failure. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of mcd: If set, this variable names the file that contains the name of the current mtools working directory as established by the mcd command. If this variable is not set, the file $HOME/.mcwd is used. FILES
Contains the name of the current mtools working directory as established by the mcd command. If this file does not exist, the default mtools working directory is A:. Executable file SEE ALSO
Commands: mdir(1), mtools(1) mcd(1)