Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issue in running shell script in crontab Post 302804055 by Rajkumar Gandhi on Wednesday 8th of May 2013 03:22:43 AM
Old 05-08-2013
Java Issue in running shell script in crontab

I'm having a shell script which has to be run only once at the specified time.

Shell script is like following,
#!/bin/bash
db2 connect to XXX > connection_status.txt

This script is scheduled in crontab as following,

50 4 8 5 0 sh script.sh

scheduled script is run at the specified time and the connection_status.txt also created. But the file doesn't contain any content and file size is 0 byte.

Note: When I'm running the script as usual (without scheduling), Script runs fine and creates the connection_status.txt file with appropriate content.

Please help to know the reason why the scheduled script doesn't produce the expected result.

Thanks,
Rajkumar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issue in Solaris OS in crontab for running shell script

Hello i have a shell script. it is running fine when i manually run at command prompt using following command ./script_file but while running shell script from crontab, it is giving error in each line. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mabrar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem running shell script (for oracle export) in crontab

Hello Gurus, I've been tasked with solving a problem at my new job and I'm stumped. We've got a script that dynamically builds an oracle export parameter files and then runs export from the shell. it runs fine when using the shell, but will NOT run (fails in one spot everytime) when entered... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsheehan223
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

issue with running script with crontab

I am facing a strange issue while running a script(eg A) from the crontab entry the script calls one more script(eg B) within it now when i run the script A manually(with nohup) it also executes the script B (embedded inside it) as expected. but when i run the script A from the crontab entry... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

output file of the shell script running through crontab is deleting automatical daily.

Dear Friends, I am working on IBM AIX. I have written one script and kept in the crontab as to run daily at 11:38 AM. and the output of the script to be appended to the file generated with the month name. but my file deleting daily and the new file is creating with the output of the shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: innamuri.ravi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rah issue when running from crontab

Hi All, I've prepared a script, content is- #!/bin/bash echo "HI" > /tmp1 rah ";\ df -m" | sort -u >> /tmp1 echo "BYE" >> /tmp1 I've scheduled this script to be run thorugh crontab, but the script is not being able to run rah command. The output file is coming like this- $cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue while running from crontab

Hi All, Here is my command which I've scheduled to be run from crontab, but it's giving error message: rah: rahhost executable needed but not in PATH My cmd is- 36 10 * * * /opt/IBM/dwe/db2/V9.5/bin/rah "df -m" >> /db2home/bculinux/Files/log/db.out 2>&1 Though I've added path... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Part of the Shell script is not running via crontab, runs fine manually

Hello Team, As a part of my job we have made a script to automate a service to restart frequently. Script having two functions when executing it's should find the existing service and kill it, then start the same service . Verified the script it's working fine when executing... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
18 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab not running script

Hi All, I am having the below script to be run from crontab, it it doesnt run. 1 * * * * /home/cobr_ext/test.sh > /home/cobr_ext/temp.txt when i run i manally it runs without any issues. Could please help me as to why doesnt it run the script.:( (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting issue-running the background script

I have written the below query to genrate a telephone.I am passing account number from oracle database. I am calling 2 scripts which generate the bill 1. bip.sh (it runs in the background) 2.runXitInvoice_PROFORMA_integ bip.sh generates a number which runXitInvoice_PROFORMA_integ uses.How... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with running commands from shell script

I'm trying to copy files from a remote windows server to Unix server. I was successfully able to copy files from windows server using command prompt but when I run these commands from a script it's not working as expected. commands used: sftp user@remoteserver.com lcd local_dir cd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naresh7590
3 Replies
ns_sched(3aolserver)					    AOLserver Built-In Commands 				      ns_sched(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_after, ns_cancel, ns_pause, ns_resume, ns_schedule_daily, ns_schedule_proc, ns_schedule_weekly, ns_unschedule_proc - commands SYNOPSIS
ns_after seconds {script | procname ?args?} ns_cancel id ns_pause id ns_resume id ns_schedule_daily ?-thread? ?-once? hour minute {script | procname ?args?} ns_schedule_proc ?-thread? ?-once? interval {script | procname ?args?} ns_schedule_weekly ?-thread? ?-once? day hour minute {script | procname ?args?} ns_unschedule_proc id _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
ns_after run the specified script or procedure after the specified number of seconds ns_after returns an id which can be used with the ns_pause, ns_cancel and ns_resume apis. ns_cancel stops the scheduled running of the id returned by an ns_after returns 1 if unscheduled 0 if the script of procedure couldn't be unscheduled ns_pause pauses the scheduled running of the id returned by an ns_after returns 1 if paused, 0 if the script of procedure couldn't be paused ns_resume resumes the scheduled running of the id returned by an ns_after returns 1 if resumed, 0 if the script of procedure couldn't be resumed ns_schedule_daily ns_schedule_daily runs the specified Tcl script or procedure (procname) once a day at the time specified by hour and minute. The hour can be from 0 to 23, and the minute can be from 0 to 59. Specify -thread if you want a thread created to run the procedure. This will allow the scheduler to continue with other scheduled procedures. Specifying -thread is appropriate in situations where the script will not return immediately, such as when the script performs network activity. Specify -once if you want the script to run only one time. The default is that the script will be re-scheduled after each time it is run. ns_schedule_daily returns an id number for the scheduled procedure that is needed to stop the scheduled procedure with ns_unsched- ule_proc. ns_schedule_proc ns_schedule_proc runs the specified Tcl script or procedure (procname) at an interval specified by interval. The interval is the number of seconds between runs of the script. Specify -thread if you want a thread created to run the procedure. This will allow the scheduler to continue with other scheduled procedures. Specifying -thread is appropriate in situations where the script will not return immediately, such as when the script performs network activity. Specify -once if you want the script to run only one time. The default is that the script will be re-scheduled after each time it is run. ns_schedule_proc returns an id number for the scheduled procedure that is needed to stop the scheduled procedure with ns_unsched- ule_proc. ns_schedule_weekly ns_schedule_weekly runs the specified Tcl script or procedure (procname) once a week on the day specified by day and the time speci- fied by hour and minute. The day can be from 0 to 6, where 0 represents Sunday. The hour can be from 0 to 23, and the minute can be from 0 to 59. Specify -thread if you want a thread created to run the procedure. This will allow the scheduler to continue with other scheduled procedures. Specifying -thread is appropriate in situations where the script will not return immediately, such as when the script performs network activity. Specify -once if you want the script to run only one time. The default is that the script will be re-scheduled after each time it is run. ns_schedule_weekly returns an id number for the scheduled procedure that is needed to stop the scheduled procedure with ns_unsched- ule_proc. ns_unschedule_proc id ns_unschedule_proc stops a scheduled procedure from executing anymore. The scheduled procedure to be stopped is identified by its id, which was returned by the ns_schedule* function that was used to schedule the procedure. EXAMPLES
ns_after ns_cancel ns_pause ns_resume This example illustrates a web interface used to manage jobs. Depending on the action provided a job can be created, cancelled, paused or resumed. set action [ns_queryget action] set job [ns_queryget job] switch $action { create { set job [ns_after 10 [ns_queryget script]] ns_puts "Job created with id: $job" } cancel { if {[ns_cancel $job]} { ns_puts "Job $job cancelled" } else { ns_puts "Job $job not cancelled" } } pause { if {[ns_pause $job]} { ns_puts "Job $job paused" } else { ns_puts "Job $job not paused } } resume { if {[ns_resume $job]} { ns_puts "Job $job resumed" } else { ns_puts "Job $job couldn't be resumed" } } default { ns_puts "Invalid action $action" } } ns_schedule_daily This example defines a script called rolllog that uses ns_accesslog to roll the access log to a file with an extension containing the current date. The ns_schedule_daily function is used to execute the rolllog script on a daily basis. # Script to roll and rcp log file to host "grinder" proc rolllog {} { set suffix [ns_strftime "%y-%m-%d"] set new [ns_accesslog file].$suffix ns_accesslog roll $new exec rcp $new grinder:/logs/[file tail $new] } # Schedule "rolllog" to run at 3:30 am each morning ns_schedule_daily -thread 3 30 rolllog ns_schedule_proc proc dosomething blah { ns_log Notice "proc with arg '$blah'" } ns_schedule_proc 10 dosomething $arg1 SEE ALSO
KEYWORDS
schedule pause resume unschedule cancel after AOLserver 4.0 ns_sched(3aolserver)