Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print arguments using array elements not working? Post 302803261 by Corona688 on Monday 6th of May 2013 10:51:47 AM
Old 05-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner
I tried this and it just prints whatever value c is through the loop, so the columns end up as 1 2 3 etc. So I just need to make it recognize that I wanted the cth column of the data file that I'm working with...
You don't need awk's help to do that.

Code:
while read COL1 COL2 COL3
do
done < inputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To return the elements of array

Hi, Please can someone help to return the array elements from a function. Currently the problem I face is that tempValue stores the value in myValue as a string while I need an array of values to be returned instead of string. Many Thanks, Sudhakar the function called is: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sudhakar333
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting Array Elements

Hi, I am writing a BASH shell script. I have an array that will contain IN ANY ORDER the following elements: DAY 8D MO NS. I would like to erase the element DAY, but since the order of the elements in the array are random, I will not know which element # DAY is (ie it's not as simple as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I print array elements as different columns in bash?

Hi Guys, I have an array which has numbers including blanks as follows: 1 26 66 4.77 -0.58 88 99 11 12 333 I want to print a group of three elements as a different column in a file as follows:(including blanks where there is missing elements) for.e.g. array element #7... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store all the passed arguments in an array and display the array

Hi I want to write a script which store all the parameters passed to the script into an array. Once it is stored I want scan through the array and and delete those files for last month present inside the directory. The files in directory is appneded with YYYY_MM_DD. I want to know how can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing array elements

Is there a way to print multiple array elements without iterating through the array using bash? Can you do something like... echo ${array}and get all those separate elements from the array? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

working with null elements in an array

i have an array (with each element length "n") which is dynamic and has alphanumeric characters. i want to check if any of the elements of the array are null and replace it with a string of "n" zeros for that element. can you suggest me a code for the same. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mumbaiguy07
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing elements from an array

Hi I have two arrays : @arcb= (450,625,720,645); @arca=(625,645); I need to remove the elements of @arca from elements of @arcb so that the content of @arcb will be (450,720). Can anyone sugget me how to perform this operation? The code I have used is this : my @arcb=... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to declare an array in UNIX and print the elements with tab delimits?

Hello, In a shell script, I want to declare an array and subsequently print the elements with tab delimits. My array has the following structure and arbitrary elements: myArray=('fgh' 'ijk' 'xyz' 'abc'); Next, I would like to print it with a '\n' at the end. Thanks for your input! ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help reading the array and sum of the array elements

Hi All, need help with reading the array and sum of the array elements. given an array of integers of size N . You need to print the sum of the elements in the array, keeping in mind that some of those integers may be quite large. Input Format The first line of the input consists of an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nishantrefound
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select / Print odd-even elements of an array

Hello experts, I wish to print the contents of odd-even numbered indices of an array. The problem statement is as follows : 1. The first line contains an integer, (the number of test cases). 2. Each line of the subsequent lines containing a string. Example: 2 Haider Bash ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: H squared
4 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 CHSH(1)