Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to measure waiting time in run queue? Post 302803085 by MichaelFelt on Monday 6th of May 2013 02:41:23 AM
Old 05-06-2013
This also give me more to think about.

AIX 6.1 - which TL, how recently patched?
"Applications" - level and patch levels

Quote:
We are investigating divergence between real CPU consumption versus 'sap + rac oracle + gpfs' benchmarks
How are you defining real CPU consumption?

Also,
Is the a shared, or dedicated processor partition?

If shared: how much entitlement; how many VP; how many active threads (normally); what is overal system utilization; how many activated processors. Partition utilization using the command
Code:
# lparstat 6 10 # simple command to review processor utilization for 60 seconds

please only outputs during "stress". "Idle" may also be presented, but only as a comparision.

And, what also helps - a ballpark figure of what you expected to see compared to what you are seeing.

Ah yes, almost forgot: Power7 Model and Firmware level.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Run Queue Thresholds

Gurus, Having a GS1280 box with OSF1 v5.1 installed (16 processors), the run queue value from the vmstat command reports a very high value (about 25 to 30). Does this reflect a CPU bound system. Note that the average CPU utilization is about 60 % which means that the CPU is not that loaded. Can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Negm
0 Replies

2. AIX

Waiting time of Process

Hi all, I am trying to find out the process wait time on Unix(AIX/SOLARIS) machine( only sh/ksh/csh): Like EXAMPLE 1 : $ vmstat 2 System configuration: lcpu=16 mem=32000MB kthr memory page faults cpu ----- -----------... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrakala.sg
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display just CPU run queue number (Nothing Else)

Im using the vmstat command to display the CPU run queue, but i want to put that into a program so is there a way to just display the number under the r? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RAFC_99
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to measure g++ performance?

I am working on an application with some rather interesting build performance issues. If we build on Solaris/Linux x86/AMD64 the build is rather fast, but it takes more than five times as long on our Solaris Sparc servers (single-threaded builds on the workstations, but multi-threaded on the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elric of Grans
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run from waiting mode

I have no idea why this job has been put into waiting state by server. Can anyone help me to run this job from waiting state. ps -elf | grep 'usr_script' 4 S usr_script 3929 3926 0 77 0 - 2976 wait Oct21 ? 00:00:00 /bin/ksh /application_folder/script/report 0 S usr_script ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zooby
2 Replies

6. Linux

How to Calculate Disk Queue length and Disk Busy Time

Hi, Am doing an enhancements related to monitoring a Linux disk I/O statistics. The /proc/diskstats file is used to get the each disk I/O statistics. But, It returns the raw value. How to calculate the Disk Queue Length and Disk Busy time from the raw values. Guide me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maruthu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

waiting on jobs in bash, allowing limited parallel jobs at one time, and then for all to finish

Hello, I am running GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu). I have a specific question pertaining to waiting on jobs run in sub-shells, based on the max number of parallel processes I want to allow, and then wait... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srao
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

idle% cpu and run queue

Hi Everybody, Can anybody explain how CPU idle% is about 50%, but runq-sz more than 1? sar from Solaris 10: 00:00:05 %usr %sys %wio %idle 17:00:08 27 12 0 61 17:20:05 40 15 0 45 17:40:05 27 12 0 61 18:00:05 23... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sant
2 Replies

9. Solaris

How to measure IOPS?

Hi I have a system running solaris 10, and I intend to use a NetApp as its storage system. The application requires a throughput between the server and the storage 7000 disk IOPS (random IO sustained throughput with response time of 20 mili second and 16k block size). How to make sure that I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
6 Replies
drv_usecwait(9F)					   Kernel Functions for Drivers 					  drv_usecwait(9F)

NAME
drv_usecwait - busy-wait for specified interval SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/ddi.h> void drv_usecwait(clock_t microsecs); INTERFACE LEVEL
Architecture independent level 1 (DDI/DKI). PARAMETERS
microsecs The number of microseconds to busy-wait. DESCRIPTION
drv_usecwait() gives drivers a means of busy-waiting for a specified microsecond count. The amount of time spent busy-waiting may be greater than the microsecond count but will minimally be the number of microseconds specified. delay(9F) can be used by a driver to delay for a specified number of system ticks, but it has two limitations. First, the granularity of the wait time is limited to one clock tick, which may be more time than is needed for the delay. Second, delay(9F) may only be invoked from user context and hence cannot be used at interrupt time or system initialization. Often, drivers need to delay for only a few microseconds, waiting for a write to a device register to be picked up by the device. In this case, even in user context, delay(9F) produces too long a wait period. CONTEXT
drv_usecwait() can be called from user or interrupt context. SEE ALSO
delay(9F), timeout(9F), untimeout(9F) Writing Device Drivers NOTES
The driver wastes processor time by making this call since drv_usecwait() does not block but simply busy-waits. The driver should only make calls to drv_usecwait() as needed, and only for as much time as needed. drv_usecwait() does not mask out interrupts. SunOS 5.10 12 Nov 1992 drv_usecwait(9F)