Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell scripting/menu
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Shell scripting/menu Post 302803035 by Jagst3r21 on Monday 6th of May 2013 12:13:09 AM
Old 05-06-2013
I stripped it down to this:

Code:
# Use of a case statement to offer a 5 item menu
echo "  Menu\n
1. Copy a file to a designated directory\n
5. Quit to Unix\nEnter your option #: \c"

read choice

case "$choice" in
while true
do
1)      echo " Chose a file to be copied to your /etc directory;;
       read filename;;
       cp $filename /etc;;
done
5)      exit ;;
*)      echo "Invalid option"   # ;; not needed for last option
esac

but I am getting ./example: 8: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting for menu

Hi, I'm writting a script to filter a cvs log and get only the modified files to move them to a specific directory to compile. I try to filter a line and move from source to target, with no results. Could you help me? for example, in the cvs log file appears: cat log.txt U... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting problem - when the file is not found i want it to return to the menu

when the file is not found i want it to return to the menu, however it carries out the next line when i hit a key I know its probably something simple can anyone help? here is my pause function: function pause(){ read -s -n 1 -p "Press any key to return to Menu . . ." echo } SCRIPT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alendrin
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with scripting a simple menu

Hi there. I'm trying to teach myself UNIX but the book I bought is a bit confusing. I'm trying out this exercise and I think I'm on the right track, but I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to improve what I have so far. Also, I'm not clear on how to use the read command to utilize the user's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jsmith
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scripting menu problem

Hi there, I am new to Unix and at the moment I am trying to solve my assignment that is to create a script for the program to prompt user to type three codes, from user point of view it should be done by typing codes separating them by spaces. Then program displays a menu with these three... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dannel
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script menu

hi guys, how would you do the following? I have a menu with 5 options in my shell script: 1. Run function 1 against files 2. Run function 2 against files 3. Run function 3 against files 4. Run function 4 against files 5. Run function 5 against files I'd like to be able to run multiple... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu using shell script

Hi, I need to have a shell script for the below need. 1. Menu with one heading and 4 options. 2. the heading and 4 options are taken from a file. File entry ====== Heading1|option1|option2|option3|option4| Heading2|option1|option2|option3|option4| 3. the user entries must be captured in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: umastinu
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu shell script help

Hi All, I have written a shell script that show menu driven option. My requirement is that in the menu driven option i want to select multiple choice. i.e if i want to select 1 or 1,2 or 1,2,3 or 2,3 etc .... Can some one help me in that My script. while true; do echo " " ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nawrajesh
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu and case statement scripting

hi all i am trying to get help with writing a script using case statement to display menu as 1) Authentication log 2) System log 3) Messages 4) Dmesg 5) Boot log Q) Exit When selecting the menu by 1 or 2 or 3 o 4 or 5, it should display the last 10 lines of the log files, if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade11
3 Replies
post(3MENU)															       post(3MENU)

NAME
post - write or erase menus from associated subwindows SYNOPSIS
#include <menu.h> int post_menu(MENU *menu); int unpost_menu(MENU *menu); DESCRIPTION
The function post_menu displays a menu to its associated subwindow. To trigger physical display of the subwindow, use refresh or some equivalent curses routine (the implicit doupdate triggered by an curses input request will do). post_menu resets the selection status of all items. The function unpost_menu erases menu from its associated subwindow. RETURN VALUE
These routines return one of the following: E_OK The routine succeeded. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error occurred (see errno). E_BAD_ARGUMENT Routine detected an incorrect or out-of-range argument. E_POSTED The menu has already been posted. E_BAD_STATE Routine was called from an initialization or termination function. E_NO_ROOM Menu is too large for its window. You should consider to use set_menu_format() to solve the problem. E_NOT_POSTED The menu has not been posted. E_NOT_CONNECTED No items are connected to the menu. SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), menu(3MENU). NOTES
The header file <menu.h> automatically includes the header file <curses.h>. PORTABILITY
These routines emulate the System V menu library. They were not supported on Version 7 or BSD versions. AUTHORS
Juergen Pfeifer. Manual pages and adaptation for new curses by Eric S. Raymond. post(3MENU)