Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to Execute command and mail results Post 302802997 by patrickminas on Sunday 5th of May 2013 04:49:39 PM
Old 05-05-2013
I am not worried about the mail command. I want to run a command and send it's results/output by mail.
For example i want to run the command "df -h" every hour and send it's results by mail.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to run shell command and insert results to existing xml file

Hi. Thanks for any help with this. I'm not new to programming but I am new to shell programming. I need a script that will 1. execute 'df -k' and return the volume names with specific text 2. surround each line of the above results in opening and closing xml tags 3. insert the results of step... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlejon
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to execute a sh command from a csh script

Hi everyone, I have a csh script that works fine but the output of an rsh command is different if I use boune shell instead cshell. Is there the possibility to execute only this command in bourne shell from a script declared cshell? Thanks Christian (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonovox
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backing out of a script if command doesn't return any results?

Hello I have a script which emails identifies the user ID of a user and sends them an email. A user can enter part of the name of the person he/wants to send the email to. Then I use the ypcat command to identify the UID of that person. The problem I'm having, is building in an error trap... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I execute the results of a pipe?

Hello, I'm using csh. I have a file named "setup" that I normally source, e.g. source setupI'd like a one-liner that sources this file, but excluding lines that contain "DEBUG", e.g. cat setup | grep -v DEBUG | sourceOf course, the above does not work. How can I execute the results of a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: acheong87
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

When i am trying to execute export command within a shell script it is saying command not found.

I am running the export command within a view to use that value inside my build script. But while executing it it is saying "export command not found" My code is as follows: -------------------------- #!/bin/sh user="test" DIR="/bldtmp/"$user VIEW="test.view1" echo "TMPDIR before export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchoudhury
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs but does not execute rm -rf command

Hi! First off I'm no bin/bash script writer! :( I can make heads and tales of it from the php experience I have and that's all. Now I managed to piece this script together to go look at directory and remove files that are +60 days. It's finding the files but its not removing them. I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrBiggz
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Shell script output in HTML or with table like results and mail

Hello, Currently i have a script which will disply the results in plain text format. I want to format the result in more readable format like Making bold headings and format with colors etc. Something like html and send that content as email. Please help me how i can do that. I am using... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: joy lobo
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script find command not printing any results

Hello, Hitting a wall on this one. When at the command prompt it works fine: # find /home/testuser -name 'PAINT*canvasON.txt' /home/testuser/PAINT_canvasON.txt # pwd /home/testuser # ls -l PAINT*canvasON.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 root user 23 Feb 07 02:58 PAINT_canvasON.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Run Multiple Systems Checks and mail me the results after every reboot- Linux

Hello, I'm trying to create a mechanism wherein a set of Production servers will email me the results of system checks like Uptime, NFS Mounts and a Process after every scheduled reboot. For this, I figured I'd use the @reboot parameter that crond comes with. I have added the below onliner... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pocodot
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute ssh command with additional terminal command to any remote user not working script

Hello i am having an issue with bash script and this is the code now=$(cat hosts1.txt | awk '{print $2;}') while read n ;do ssh root@$now 'useradd test1; echo -e "test1\ntest1" | passwd test1 && echo "test1 ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL" >> /etc/sudoers' When i execute only part with cat, it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
8 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet. -t, --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Output version information and exit. -h, --help Output help and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux September 2011 SCRIPT(1)