Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script to send lines of file to new file based on Regex Post 302802993 by Yoda on Sunday 5th of May 2013 04:55:08 PM
Old 05-05-2013
Not much different approach:
Code:
awk '$0~/[[:upper:]]/{if(F) close(F);F=$0;next}{print > F}' includes

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to delete folder based on text file information

I have been working on a script to list all the name's of a subfolder in a text file then edit that text file and then delete the subfolder base on the edited text file so far I have been able to do every thing I just talked about but can't figure out how to delete the subfolers base on a text file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bone11409
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read the lines within file and send each line to different new file

I need help.....I have number of data files and I need to read the contains of each file which is three lines by awk commands or script, and send each line within the data file to different new file . That means I will have three files as a result, the first file will contains the first lines for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldreho
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in splitiing file based on regex using awk/nawk

I have a file tmp.txt as shown below: Controller: 0 Disk: 0.0.0 Disk: 0.1.0 Disk: 0.2.0 Controller: 1 Volume:c1t2d0 Disk: 0.0.0 Disk: 0.1.0 Disk: 0.2.0 Controller: 2 Volume:c2t2d0 Disk: 0.2.0 Now I want to split... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: durbam2002
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex matches from lines in file

Hello, I try to script something (bash-script) and can not find a way to get and store a match into a variable from a line in a file. grep isn't useful as the matches are not returned - just colored. I can't get 'expr' to work for me. Is it necessary to use a perl-script with regex instead? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to find date based on search string for continuesly updating file

Hi All, I am very new to UNIX and I have tried this for a longtime now and unable to crack it.... There is a file that is continuously updating. I need to search for the string and find the date @ which it updated every day..... eg: String is "work started" The log entry is as below: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nithz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ksh-to read ip file & append lines to another file based on pattern match

Hi, I need help with this- input.txt : L B white X Y white A B brown M Y black Read this input file and if 3rd column is "white", then add specific lines to another file insert.txt. If 3rd column is brown, add different set of lines to insert.txt, and so on. For example, the given... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashob123
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - printing range of lines from text file

I'm working on a new exercise that calls for a script that will take in two arguments on the command line (representing the range of line numbers) and will subsequently print those lines from a a specified file. Command line would look like this: ./lines_script.bash 5 15 <file.txt. The script would... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmarine1980
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to search file based off user input then create new file

In the below bash a file is downloaded when the program is opened and then that file is searched based on user input and the result is written to a new file. For example, the bash is opened and the download.txt is downloaded, the user then enters the id (NA04520). The id is used to search... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to copy file 3 times and rename based on another file

In the below bash I am trying to copy the only text file (always only one) in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/list/QC/metrics.txt and rename each of the 3 text files according to /home/cmccabe/Desktop/test/list.txt using lines 3, 4 ,5. This format (that is list.txt) is always 5 lines. Thank you :). ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating bash script to process a data file based on the menu

Hey, im fairly new to unix and Im trying to make this unix project that would display a menu and do the following. MENU =========================== (p, P) Print users info (a, A) Add new user (s, S) Search user (d, D) Delete user (x,X) Exit Enter your choice: Trying to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimaxtrd
3 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)