Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting all lines except last 500 Post 302802975 by RudiC on Sunday 5th of May 2013 03:47:19 PM
Old 05-05-2013
Code:
$ tac file | awk 'NR<=500' | tac

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

deleting lines

I am spooling a file from oracle and trying to delete the last line of the spooled file which I am unable to do. Problem is that this file can have multiple records each time and I have no way of knowing how many because the amount can vary. I had an idea of using a while loop to read the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: supercbw
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines

I am trying deleting lines from a text file using sed.. sed '/OBJECT="ABC/{N;N;N;d; }' will do if i have to delete lines starting with Object and next 3 lines but I was looking for a way to delet lines starting with OBJECT and all the lines till it reaches a blank lines ..or it reaches a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajnabi
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines in a file

How do I delete all the lines after the line containing text ***DISCLOSURES*** . I want to delete this line too. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reachsamir
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to tail last 500 lines and vi them?

I have a very large log file and it speed up scrolling. so I want to tail last 500 lies and see using vi editor. tail -n 500 large_file | small_file | vi {}; this won't work. I'm very novice on Unix. TIA. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kang
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting processed lines

I have a log file that I am processing. This contains messages from and to a server (requests and responses). The responses to requests may not be in order i.e. we can have a response to a request after several requests are sent, and in some error cases there may not be any response message. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BootComp
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting lines by number

Is it possible to delete lines by their number? Also, I'd like to delete the last 3 rows of a file too. So from the front and back. Thanks. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cary530
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting particular lines.

hi all, i have got a scenario in which i need to delete all the lines that ends with file names. e.g. input can be cms/images/services_icons/callback.png cms/cms/images/services_icons/sync.php cms/cms/images/services_icons and output should be cms/cms/images/services_icons ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifv
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill the values between -500 to 500 -awk

input -200 2.4 0 2.6 30 2.8 output -500 0 -499 0 -488 0 .......... .......... .... -200 2.4 .... ... 0 2.6 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines in ex

Hello, im using ex to manipulate some text. Im trying to delete all the lines except those on which a certain regex can be found. the important part of the script: ex temp << 'HERE' g/regex/p HERE this command prints the lines I want to end up with, but it doesnt delete the others.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drareeg
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with deleting lines and saving them

I have a directory question where I ask the user which entry he wants to delete... echo "Which entry?" read entry sed '/^'$entry'/d' file This code does in fact delete that particular entry... HOWEVER, when I go to inquire about that same entry, it still populates like it was never... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
4 Replies
TAIL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail - deliver the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [ +-number[lbc][rf] ] [ file ] tail [ -fr ] [ -n nlines ] [ -c nbytes ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Tail copies the named file to the standard output beginning at a designated place. If no file is named, the standard input is copied. Copying begins at position +number measured from the beginning, or -number from the end of the input. Number is counted in lines, 1K blocks or bytes, according to the appended flag or Default is -10l (ten ell). The further flag causes tail to print lines from the end of the file in reverse order; (follow) causes tail, after printing to the end, to keep watch and print further data as it appears. The second syntax is that promulgated by POSIX, where the numbers rather than the options are signed. EXAMPLES
tail file Print the last 10 lines of a file. tail +0f file Print a file, and continue to watch data accumulate as it grows. sed 10q file Print the first 10 lines of a file. SOURCE
/src/cmd/tail.c BUGS
Tails relative to the end of the file are treasured up in a buffer, and thus are limited in length. According to custom, option +number counts lines from 1, and counts blocks and bytes from 0. Tail is ignorant of UTF. TAIL(1)