Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I write nested command substitutions? Post 302802497 by hanson44 on Friday 3rd of May 2013 02:48:08 PM
Old 05-03-2013
Code:
echo `expr substr $x 1 expr ${#x} - 1`

At least one reason your nested substitution does not work is because you only have one set of `` backticks. Regardless of whether you use the older backtick or newer $() syntax, nested substitution won't work if only one substitution. You would need another set of backticks around the internal expr command.

An easy, I would suggest better, alternative is "don't nest". Do one substitution, store the results in an intermediate variable. Use the intermediate variable in the next substitution.

It's simpler to understand, self-documenting, and easier to troubleshoot. The negative is it takes an extra line. A very small price to pay.
This User Gave Thanks to hanson44 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nested Echo Command Help

I am doing below : $HOST_NAME1="webisstg70" $count=1 $echo $HOST_NAME1 $count webisstg70 1 $HOST_NAME="" $HOST_NAME=`echo '$HOST_NAME'${count}` $echo $HOST_NAME HOST_NAME1 $NODE_NAME=`echo $`echo ${HOST_NAME}`` I get below error message (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: findprakash
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Sed to perform multiple substitutions?

Hello I have the following output which is returned with the Month in text format instead of numerical. The output I receive is performed by using Rational Synergy CM software commands from the Unix command line and piping Unix commands on the end. bash-3.00$ ccm query -n... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - nested substitutions

How can I nest substitutions ? My solution just seems cheap ... sample data Cisco Catalyst Operating System Software, Version 235.5(18) Cisco Catalyst Operating System Software, Version 17.6(7) Cisco Catalyst Operating System Software, Version 19.6(7) Cisco Catalyst Operating System... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple variable substitutions

Is there anyway to accomplish this? (ksh) FILES_TO_PROCESS='NAME1 NAME2' SOURCE_NAME1=/tmp/myfile TARGET_NAME1=/somewhere/else # other file names for i in $FILES_TO_PROCESS do file1=SOURCE_$i file2=TARGET_$i echo cp ${$file1} ${$file2} <-- how do get this to work. done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koondog
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

arrays and substitutions

I am working on a bash script and ran around this issue. here's the code : #!/bin/bash string="\"bin\" \"barn\" \"bin, barn /\"" array=($string) echo -e "\nMethod 1\narray is ---> ${array}" echo -e "array=($string)" array=("bin" "barn" "bin, barn /") echo -e "\nMethod 2\narray is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: titou_dude
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two substitutions in one echo

PHOST1=temp i=1 I want to display the value of PHOST1 by making use of variable i inplace of 1 something like this echo "$PHOST$i" # -> This doesn't seem to work. Please provide me the correct syntax. I tried many different ways echo ${PHOST${i}} echo ${PHOST Nothing seems... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: blazer789
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell command need to parse multiple nested tag value of a XML file

I have this XML file - <gp> <mms>1110012</mms> <tg>988</tg> <mm>LongTime</mm> <lv> <lkid>StartEle=ONE, Desti = Motion</lkid> <kk>12</kk> </lv> <lv> <lkid>StartEle=ONE, Source = Velocity</lkid> <kk>2</kk> </lv> <lv> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeedASolution
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Speeding up substitutions

Hi all, I have a lookup table from which I am looking up values (from col1) and replacing them by corresponding values (from col2) in another file. lookup file a,b c,d So just replace a by b, and replace c by d. mainfile a,fvvgeggsegg,dvs a,fgeggefddddddddddg... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: senhia83
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested case: rsync command not found

Hello! Below my first bash script. As you can see i build 2 nested cases. The second one (sync databases) is working fine. Bu the first one (sync datadirs) is not working. It says: rsync: command not found. However when i move the rsync command to the top of the script its working. So i suppose... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyperconnected
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

The Shell lost the inverted comma in a nested ssh command

Hi, i want use this Comand for my psql request sh ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no rootatemailaddress.de sudo psql -U postgres -c "select pg_terminate_backend(pid) from pg_stat_activity where datnam=\'$DB\';"'" but the shell lost the inverted comma for datnam=\'$DB\'. The request deliver... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpane007
2 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- | fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command | substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even | when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. | If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- | tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- | tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for | that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is | returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. | In this way, all exceptional return codes are ``caught'' by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete | successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns ``xyz {44}'', not ``xyz {$a}'' and the script | set a "p} q {r" | subst {xyz {$a}} | return ``xyz {p} q {r}'', not ``xyz {p} q {r}''. | When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. | set a 44 | subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} | returns ``$a 44'', not ``$a $a''. Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to | retrieve the value of the variable. | proc b {} {return c} | array set a {c c [b] tricky} | subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} | returns ``[b] c'', not ``[b] tricky''. | The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest | of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script | subst {abc,[break],def} | returns ``abc,'', not ``abc,,def'' and the script | subst {abc,[continue;expr 1+2],def} | returns ``abc,,def'', not ``abc,3,def''. | Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value | subst {abc,[return foo;expr 1+2],def} | returns ``abc,foo,def'', not ``abc,3,def'' and | subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr 1+2],def} | also returns ``abc,foo,def'', not ``abc,3,def''. SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)