Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed insert new line does not update file Post 302802235 by mstafreshi on Friday 3rd of May 2013 06:44:42 AM
Old 05-03-2013
your file has at least 12 lines ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: Update Last Line with Number Lines in File

Hi, I have to update last line of a text file with the number of lines in that file. This last line will have text such as 0.0000 and I should replace this with number lines. If lines are 20 then it should be replaced with 00020. Any sed or awk cmd help would be appreciated (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmkux
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - how to insert chars into a line

Hi I'm new to sed, and need to add characters into a specific location of a file, the fileds are tab seperated. text <tab> <tab> text <tab> text EOL I need to add more characters to the line to look like this: text <tab> <tab> newtext <tab> text <tab> text EOL Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tangentviper
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed insert text at first line of empty file

I can't seem to get sed to allow me to insert text in the first line of an empty file. I have a file.txt that is a 0 byte file. I want sed to insert " fooBar" onto the first line. I've tried a few options and nothing seems to work. They work just fine if there's text in the file tho. Help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to insert text file at first line

sed '1r file.txt' <source.txt >desti.txt This example will insert 'file.txt' between line 1 and 2 of source.txt. sed '0r file.txt' <source.txt >desti.txt gives an error message. Does anyone know how 'sed' can insert 'file.txt' before the first line of source.txt? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: psve
18 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert/Update using sed

Hi, I have a xml file (Config.xml) with following entry <Date="" Node1="50" Groups="20"> Now I want to use sed to insert/update the Date field with the latest date say - 20120711. I can't use a simple replace command becuase the Date field could be blank ("") or sometimes could have value in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert @Line # - SED (non-GNU)

Just posted on another fellow's question using ed, but I wanted to know about doing it with sed on Unix. For example - I have a file of an unknown length, but I want to add a line after the shell declaration (Line 2). If possible, I'd like the example to be able to just substitute in a number and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert output from a file to beginning of line with sed

Hi I've been trying to search but couldn't quite get the answer I was looking for. I have a a file that's like this Time, 9/1/12 0:00, 1033 0:10, 1044 ... 23:50, 1050 How do I make it so the file will be like this? 9/1/12, 0:00, 1033 9/1/12, 0:10, 1044 ... 9/1/12, 23:50, 1050 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: diesel88
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - How to insert line before the first blank line following a token

Hello. I have a config file (/etc/my_config_file) which may content : # # port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic port=8200 # network interfaces to serve, comma delimited network_interface=eth0 # set this to the directory you want scanned. # * if have multiple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command to Insert a line before the last four lines of the file

By using sed command, How to insert a new line before the last four lines of the file. Old Line Old Line NEW LINE! Old Line Old Line Old Line Old Line (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wridler
8 Replies

10. Solaris

sed insert into line 1 via script

Hi I am trying to run a sed command within a script..unfortunately it wasn't written on Solaris so doesn't work. Can anyone help with the correct coding please? It is: sed -i '1i ROWID;ORDER_ID;JOB_NAME;ORDER_TABLE' ${OUTFILE} (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
4 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)