Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Egrep ERE to find null
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Egrep ERE to find null Post 302801699 by Corona688 on Thursday 2nd of May 2013 12:33:32 PM
Old 05-02-2013
There's not just one but many easy ways to test with pure shell builtins:

Code:
if [ -z "$VARTOTEST" ] || [ "$VARTOTEST" = " " ]
then
        echo "$VARTOTEST empty or one space"
fi

Code:
case "$VARTOTEST" in
) echo "blank" ;;
 ) echo "one space" ;;
*) echo "not blank" ;;
esac

Code:
VAR=""
case X in $VARTOTEST ; do VAR="$X" ; done
if [ -z "$VAR" ]
then
        echo "$VARTOTEST is blank, or one or more spaces"
fi

Code:
set -- $VARTOTEST

if [ -z "$1" ]
then
        echo "$VARTOTEST blank, or one or more spaces"
fi

And these are just the pure bourne ways. If I knew you had bash or ksh I could suggest simpler ways using their string operations.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to find egrep version on Solaris 10

Hi, How can I find the egrep version installed on Solaris 10 as I don't see any egrep --version option.Also wanted to know which version would support option of -A (eg. egrep -A NUM PATTERN FILE ) Print NUM lines of trailing context after matching lines. Thanks & Regards, Kiran. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiranherekar
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find null fields in file

Hi All, I have some csv files out of which i want to find records which have empty values in either the 14th or 16th fields. The following is a sample. $cut -d',' -f14,16 SPS* | head -5 VOIP_ORIG_INFO,VOIP_DEST_INFO sip:445600709315@sip.com,sip:999@sip.com... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can find Null value in If condition

Hi, i wrote If Conditions in my script, it's returns null and some values. but i am unable to find when Null value getting. bec we need modification according null vales. pls help me on this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using /dev/null with grep and find

Hi, I am trying to display the filename in which a string was found after using find and grep. For this after some googling I found that this works: find -name "*.java" -exec grep "searchStr" {} /dev/null \; I wanted to know the difference between the above and the following: find -name... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurav_s
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find out if few fields in a file are null

Hi, I've a pipe delimited file where I want to find out a number of lines where 1st 2nd and last field are null using awk/sed. Is it possible? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find null column

Hi, everyone I have a requirement as following: source file 1, abc, def, caaa 2, , cde, aaa 3, bcd, , adefefg I need find columns which contains null value, in above example, I need get two rows 2, , cde, aaa 3, bcd, , adefefg anybody has idea how to achive this ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep help required to find pattern

Hi All, Can some one please help me how to grep the comments from "oracle" & "sybase" code. I would like to grep below type of pattern. -- /* */ Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find null column?

hi Gurus, I need find the null column in a file. my file like below abc, ,cde,def abc,ded,cdd,def abc, ,ddd,ccd aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd basic, I need to find the lines which second column is null Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find record having null value

Hi All My requirement is to find the null values in particular column of a file and reject it in case if it contains null values. But the challenge is that I want a common command which can be used across different file, as the position of the column we need to check for different file may get... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Egrep find word that occurs twice in a row

Hi there I am trying to figure out and understand what the syntax would be to egrep lines that have a word occur twice in a row. the two words obviously should have a space between them and also it has to be case sensitive which I believe grep is by deffault. the closest I have come is... grep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: spo_2138
7 Replies
ECHO(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   ECHO(1)

NAME
echo -- write arguments to the standard output SYNOPSIS
echo [-n] [string ...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes any specified operands, separated by single blank (' ') characters and followed by a newline (' ') character, to the standard output. The following option is available: -n Do not print the trailing newline character. This may also be achieved by appending 'c' to the end of the string, as is done by iBCS2 compatible systems. Note that this option as well as the effect of 'c' are implementation-defined in IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') as amended by Cor. 1-2002. Applications aiming for maximum portability are strongly encouraged to use printf(1) to sup- press the newline character. Some shells may provide a builtin echo command which is similar or identical to this utility. Most notably, the builtin echo in sh(1) does not accept the -n option. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. EXIT STATUS
The echo utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), printf(1), sh(1) STANDARDS
The echo utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') as amended by Cor. 1-2002. BSD
April 12, 2003 BSD