Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using awk in a for loop
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using awk in a for loop Post 302801271 by evelibertine on Wednesday 1st of May 2013 05:05:19 PM
Old 05-01-2013
Using awk in a for loop

Hi,

I have a for loop using awk where I add a column to each file data1.txt through data10.txt where the value in the new column equals 1 through 10:

Code:
for i in {1..10}; do awk '$3="$i"' data$i.txt > output$i.txt; done

But when I run the code, i just get a bunch of $i's in the third column. How can I modify the code? Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK in a for loop

Hello, I am trying to use AWK to print only the first field of numerous text files, and then overwrite these files. They are of the format 1*2,3,4,5. I have tried the following code (using tcsh): foreach f (file1 file2 file3) cat $f | awk -F'*' '{print $1}' > $f end However, I get very... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jahn
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

for loop in awk?

I am new to unix and have pieced together two scripts that work independently. The first checks all the filesystems and reports which are running low on space. df -m | awk 'int($4) > 75 { print $1 " has only " $3 "mb free from a total of " $2 ", this filesystem is " $4 " full! \n" }... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bdawk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for-loop and NR

Hey, I know this is a stupid question, but it doesn't work. I have a file with 10 lines and I want to pipe the content to awk and then print line 1 til 2 into another file and then line 3-4 ... So my script looks like that, but doesn't work: cat grid_ill.pts | awk '{ for (NR=1;NR<3;NR++)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison and editing of files using awk.(And also a possible bug in awk for loop?)

I have two files which I would like to compare and then manipulate in a way. File1: pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2: pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - loop from a to z

Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to do a loop on letters rather than numbers with awk (gawk). Basically I used to do: echo "nothing" | gawk '{for(i=1;i<11;i++)print i}' But I would like to do something like that (which obviously does not work): echo "nothing" | gawk '{for(i in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop and using shell in awk

Hi, everyone! I have a file, when I print its $1 out it show several strings like this: AABBCC AEFJKLFG FALEF FAIWEHF What I want to do is that, after output of each record, search the string in all files in the same folder, print out the record and file name. This is what I want... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk programming -Passing variable to awk for loop

Hi All, I am new to AWK programming. I have the following for loop in my awk program. cat printhtml.awk: BEGIN -------- <some code here> END{ ----------<some code here> for(N=0; N<H; N++) { for(M=5; M<D; M++) print "\t" D ""; } ----- } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with For loop

Hi My Requirement is to take the sum of each column below is the input file. 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 Initial i was using below command to achieve my desired result. however this was adding the row and not column. i am not able understand why this is happening awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptor
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk !seen[$]++ in else loop

Hi all, I was searching the net for a solution for my problem... unfortunately nothing so far. I want to sort on more than on column tab delimited file and keep the line if in the column I sort there is no value, but for those who have a value I want them only unique. I have tried the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksenia
5 Replies
X2SYS_SOLVE(1gmt)					       Generic Mapping Tools						 X2SYS_SOLVE(1gmt)

NAME
x2sys_solve - Determine systematic corrections from crossovers SYNOPSIS
x2sys_solve -Ccolumn -TTAG -Emode [ COE_list.d ] [ -V ] [ -W ] [ -Z ] [ -bi[s|S|d|D[ncol]|c[var1/...]] ] DESCRIPTION
x2sys_solve will use the supplied crossover information to solve for systematic corrections that can then be applied per track to improve data quality. Several systematic corrections can be solved for using a least-squares approach. Note: Only one data column can be processed at the time. -T Specify the x2sys TAG which tracks the attributes of this data type. -C Specify which data column you want to process. Needed for proper formatting of the output correction table and must match the same option used in x2sys_list when preparing the input data. -E The correction type you wish to model. Choose among the following functions f(p), where p are the m parameters per track that we will fit simultaneously using a least squares approach: c will fit f(p) = a (a constant offset); records must contain cruise ID1, ID2, COE. d will fit f(p) = a + b * d (linear drift; d is distance; records must contain cruise ID1, ID2, d1, d2, COE. g will fit f(p) = a + b sin(y)^2 (1980-1930 gravity correction); records must contain cruise ID1, ID2, latitude y, COE. h will fit f(p) = a + b cos(H) + c cos(2H) + d sin(H) + e sin(2H) (magnetic heading correction); records must contain cruise ID1, ID2, heading H, COE. s will fit f(p) = a * z (a unit scale correction); records must contain cruise ID1, ID2, z1, z2. t will fit f(p) = a + b * (t - t0) (linear drift; t0 is the start time of the track); records must contain cruise ID1, ID2, t1-t0, t2-t0, COE. OPTIONS
No space between the option flag and the associated arguments. COE_list.d Name of file with the required crossover columns as produced by x2sys_list. NOTE: If -bi is used then the first two columns are expected to hold the integer track IDs; otherwise we expect those columns to hold the text string names of the two tracks. -V Selects verbose mode, which will send progress reports to stderr [Default runs "silently"]. -W Means that each input records has an extra column with the composite weight for each crossover record. These are used to obtain a weighted least squares solution [no weights]. -Z For -Ed and -Et, determine the earliest time or shortest distance for each track, then use these values as the local origin for time duration or distance calculations. The local origin is then included in the correction table [Default uses 0]. -bi Selects binary input. Append s for single precision [Default is d (double)]. Uppercase S or D will force byte-swapping. Option- ally, append ncol, the number of columns in your binary input file if it exceeds the columns needed by the program. Or append c if the input file is netCDF. Optionally, append var1/var2/... to specify the variables to be read. EXAMPLES
To fit a simple bias offset to faa for all tracks under the MGD77 tag, try x2sys_list COE_data.txt -V -TMGD77 -Cfaa -Fnc > faa_coe.txt x2sys_solve faa_coe.txt -V -TMGD77 -Cfaa -Ec > coe_table.txt To fit a faa linear drift with time instead, try x2sys_list COE_data.txt -V -TMGD77 -Cfaa -FnTc > faa_coe.txt x2sys_solve faa_coe.txt -V -TMGD77 -Cfaa -Et > coe_table.txt To estimate heading corrections based on magnetic crossovers associated with the tag MGD77 from the file COE_data.txt, try x2sys_list COE_data.txt -V -TMGD77 -Cmag -Fnhc > mag_coe.txt x2sys_solve mag_coe.txt -V -TMGD77 -Cmag -Eh > coe_table.txt To estimate unit scale corrections based on bathymetry crossovers, try x2sys_list COE_data.txt -V -TMGD77 -Cdepth -Fnz > depth_coe.txt x2sys_solve depth_coe.txt -V -TMGD77 -Cdepth -Es > coe_table.txt SEE ALSO
x2sys_binlist(1), x2sys_cross(1), x2sys_datalist(1), x2sys_get(1), x2sys_init(1), x2sys_list(1), x2sys_put(1), x2sys_report(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 X2SYS_SOLVE(1gmt)